5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Would a PDF plugin be possible?

I love the idea of having virtual books within the FG environment, but the "ruleset creation" process is very tedious, and doesn't allow for having all the content of the books (no artwork, for example).

Taking into consideration the popularity of OEF books (official, purchased PDFs), it seems that creating a way to "open" these electronic books within FG would be the most logical thing to do. Imagine having your books sitting there on the virtual table, and with a click you can raise one up and open it for reading! God, that would be so cool.

So, how could it be done? And would the devs for FG be willing to do it? Heck, is it possible for someone else to write it as a plugin, even if the powers-that-be weren't interested? Can you imagine how popular FG would become if this were done? You can't say this wouldn't shoot sales through the roof, that's for sure. They'd make a mint.

A secondary, duct-tape sort of idea would be to export the pages of a PDF, then import the JPGs into FG the same as you would maps. Then all we'd need is some sort of "album" to store them in, so to speak, that would allow for browsing. Not as cool or simple as opening a PDF within FG, but it'd do the job.

Please, please, please, someone tell me this can be done.

IANAL:

I would believe that this would open up a whole slew of copyright concerns. The way FG stands right now, having these items in your ruleset transfers them to the players in your campaign.

The good news is that there are several things in the wings (Wink Wink) pending the release of FGII.

The bad news, I cannot see this happening (The plug in that is.)

Sorry to rain on your parade, but as it stands now, it looks like that is the way things are, and the decision is out of our hands.

Cheers,

Sandeman
    Ultimate Licence holder

I've had FG for so LONG I DON'T KNOW HOW TO USE IT!

But I'm learning!

I would believe that this would open up a whole slew of copyright concerns. The way FG stands right now, having these items in your ruleset transfers them to the players in your campaign.
    No, you've missed the point completely. I'm not talking about rulesets, at all. I'm talking about being able to load a PDF into FG for viewing during a game. No different than someone bringing their books to a game, and setting them on the table for all to use during the session. That person logs-off, the books leave with him. This would only be a problem if someone intentionally created an additional feature that allowed a user to save a copy of something they're viewing. So, don't create that extra feature. Not exactly rocket science here.

And if all else fails, fine, just give us the ability to do it for ourselves. If I load books into the game, only I can see them on the table. Same goes for others, should they load whichever books they happen to own into their systems. That'd work, too. I find the need to do it this way overly paranoid and silly, but if someone thought it a real concern, there ya go, that'd work just fine and avoid the potential for abuse.

Funny, cause that's exactly how the new modules function works in FG2. Modules being books in your library.
    Alea Iacta Est
    The Die is Cast!

Aauuuugghhhhh!

As the title of this post says: Aauuuugghhhhh!

All this talk of what's going to be available when FGII is released is like salt in a wound!

When oh when will this torture end!?

Sed quid custodiet ipsos custodes?

Funny, cause that's exactly how the new modules function works in FG2. Modules being books in your library.
    Well, that's a fantastic idea, so long as we can use the materials we already have, and not have to do a ton of work for each and every book we'd like to put on the table. PDF stores are popular, and that's what people are buying/using. It only makes sense to include that medium. I'm not saying anyone should do away with creating "rulesets," just that, as a user, I'd like the option to be able to pop-in a book I own without having to convert it, OCR it, check it for errors, retype stuff, and/or whatever else is entailed in going that route. I can buy PDFs at lots of webstores. I can't buy pre-made rulesets anywhere, and to be honest, I wouldn't really want to if I could have the PDFs (since they're actual replications of the books, with artwork and charts, etc). If FG adds this feature, they'll have a convert for life outta me, and I imagine a lot of others gamers, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan
    No, you've missed the point completely. I'm not talking about rulesets, at all. I'm talking about being able to load a PDF into FG for viewing during a game. No different than someone bringing their books to a game, and setting them on the table for all to use during the session. That person logs-off, the books leave with him.
    The problem here is then the players would have to DL the PDF each time the game starts (some of those PDFs are pretty large), or at the least as soon as the DM loads the book. This would be a huge waste of time.

Personally It does not matter to me if they add this feature, I hate reading books off screen. I much prefer to have the real thing in my hands when i need to read it. So it is doubtful on if I would ever read the PDFs if the DM loaded them for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan
    Well, that's a fantastic idea, so long as we can use the materials we already have, and not have to do a ton of work for each and every book we'd like to put on the table. PDF stores are popular, and that's what people are buying/using. It only makes sense to include that medium. I'm not saying anyone should do away with creating "rulesets," just that, as a user, I'd like the option to be able to pop-in a book I own without having to convert it, OCR it, check it for errors, retype stuff, and/or whatever else is entailed in going that route. I can buy PDFs at lots of webstores. I can't buy pre-made rulesets anywhere, and to be honest, I wouldn't really want to if I could have the PDFs (since they're actual replications of the books, with artwork and charts, etc). If FG adds this feature, they'll have a convert for life outta me, and I imagine a lot of others gamers, too.
    Digital Adventures has an example of a product that does just what you are asking:
    Check out this link:
    https://digitaladventures.net/fg_accessories.htm

We have:

Iron Heroes
    Arcana Evolved
    Arcana Spell Treasury

And more!

The makers of FG (Smite Works) at present do not have add ons for FG, as they require licensing from the game companies. I am not sure where any company stands from the viewpoint of WOTC products, as the sole company that had the licence to do official product (CMP) did not have their licence renewed.

Unfortunately, it is really a wait and see affair. FGII promises to be a great upgrade to the base product as it stands now, and to release a lot of product would waste developer time, as they would have to turn around and convert it to a new format.

I hope that answers some of your questions. (Unfortunately though, it may not be the answer you were looking for. )

Sandeman
    Ultimate Licence holder

But I'm learning!

Quote Originally Posted by LordTomar
    The problem here is then the players would have to DL the PDF each time the game starts (some of those PDFs are pretty large), or at the least as soon as the DM loads the book. This would be a huge waste of time.

Personally It does not matter to me if they add this feature, I hate reading books off screen. I much prefer to have the real thing in my hands when i need to read it. So it is doubtful on if I would ever read the PDFs if the DM loaded them for me.
    Hmm. Looking at this, in FGII, the DM has more control over what gets transfered to the players. If a plug in were to occur, it could be set to read only for the DM only.

One question I have to ask everyone though, why bother with a plug in? Is there not the ability to read the book with Adobe Reader?

Sandeman
    Ultimate Licence holder

But I'm learning!

Quote Originally Posted by kalmarjan
    Hmm. Looking at this, in FGII, the DM has more control over what gets transfered to the players. If a plug in were to occur, it could be set to read only for the DM only.

One question I have to ask everyone though, why bother with a plug in? Is there not the ability to read the book with Adobe Reader?

Sandeman
    Yeah it would be easier to read with an outside program if it was just for the DM's refrence, but I think his request was also for the ability to share the PDFs with his players also during a session.

Thread Information