FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last

Sharing Adventures

No offense here, either.

The greatest difficulty in sharing adventures--as was mentioned by someone else, above--is that most of the "meat" is not placed into FG. It is on paper beside the DM, who refers to it as needed.

Maps, other images, and a few other things are best pre-loaded into the program to save time. Unless a DM has taken the significant extra time to write the entire adventure into FG, the bare bones that would be shared would be pretty much meaningless to someone else.

But I like free, too, so if anyone finds another source, please share the wealth.
    Sed quid custodiet ipsos custodes?

Yenooc - Very ture on your post.
    I see you are also in Washington State, excellent! I am over in Seattle/Bellevue.

I stopped giving away free stuff (not FG, this was years ago with other work) when people started being critical or demanding, as if by having given something away for free I suddenly was their slave to produce more or custom tailor it.

Nowadays I only share my work with others in exchange for money, or on a restrictive license with people who have something to share with me, and that I know can be appreciative and won't make stupid demands.

I'm considering writing a utility for FG for module creation/generation/editing... but given past experiences, I'm very hesitant to give it away, because of the BS I believe I will be subject to again.

Well...I would never do anything like that MaineCoon. I see what you mean. Beggers can't be choosers and all that. If you ever do create such a program, I would love to get my hands on it, and I would be quite appreciative of merely your effort in making something like that, regardless of how good or poor I personally find it. I don't think I would pay though, sorry. Sad because what you are proposing seems like it might be quite usefull to me.

Oh and Fade, it was indeed a flippant comment on my part, as I tried to convey with my smiley (I thought I had put one in there). I am just sorry such a big deal was made out of it.
    Big props to Ceika and https://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail58.html for my Avatar.

Sex , Drugs , and Rock & Roll . The three things that make life worth living. Oh, and D&D . Yeah, make that four things...

Quote Originally Posted by MaineCoon
    I'm considering writing a utility for FG for module creation/generation/editing... but given past experiences, I'm very hesitant to give it away, because of the BS I believe I will be subject to again.
    Please don't write it or release it ! This rakes up all sorts of copyright/property "discussions" that have, ahem .. "excited" the FG community in the not too distant past on other boards.

Rule systems and modules are fiercely protected by many publishers ... and they are especially sensitive in this sort of area. I fear that any publuc announcement of a utility that could crank the contents of a commercial pdf (such as the Dungeon Crawl Classics) into an FG module would cause all sorts of trouble.

Those few adventure modules that are for sale are pretty reasonably priced I hope ? Digital, FUM, Ilwan and Kepli ... others too are working on modules , both conversions from pdf and entirely "new" .... I would hope that these will start appearing as FGII comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart
    Please don't write it or release it ! This rakes up all sorts of copyright/property "discussions" that have, ahem .. "excited" the FG community in the not too distant past on other boards.
    Then you misunderstand what I am talking about. I'm not talking about something that can convert a PDF, but a better, easier to use editor than the in-FG one (the lack of UNDO and the copy/paste facility makes a poor editor), and/or possibly a tool that can take random lists or output of random generators (like PCGen and dungeon generators and such), and convert them into the XML format that FG utilizes.

If I want to write it, I can and will. I am within my rights to create it for personal use. I don't intend to make or release anything that is meant to be merely a tool for copyright infringement. If I write a tool that can take the output of a piece of software that generates OGL data (or if the too litself uses OGL content to randomly generate data), and it produces an XML file that is compatible with FG, that is not a copyright-infringing piece of software. If I write a stand-alone editor for editing modules, that is not much different than what FG itself does right now.

What a person would do with such tool is not much different than what they can do with FG, so it is no more prone to introducing copyright issues than FG itself. It is not the tool, but what it is used for. A tool that could automatically convert a PDF to a module (NOT what I'm planning) might be very useful to module authors and encourage more FG-oriented for-sale module releases by the original content authors or licensees. Even just an easier to use editor for editing nodes in the module's XML files and managing the files in the .mod, could be very useful to original content authors and licensees.

If you push forward the argument that a tool that makes editing FG's XML-formatted files easier, will introduce copyright issues with content creators, then you are also implying that FG itself has introduced copyright issues, and then perhaps the discussion should focus on the root of the problem and not the argument you would present.
    Last edited by MaineCoon; January 14th, 2007 at 01:16.

Free FG Campaigns?

Quote Originally Posted by MaineCoon
    I stopped giving away free stuff (not FG, this was years ago with other work) when people started being critical or demanding, as if by having given something away for free I suddenly was their slave to produce more or custom tailor it....
    Well I defiantly do not blame about not give away free stuff when people are so demanding and critical, well shame on them

Quote Originally Posted by Traygin
    Yenooc - I see you are also in Washington State, excellent! I am over in Seattle/Bellevue.
    I'm waaaaay down at the bottom of the state, just north of Vancouver (Washington, that is )
    Sed quid custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by Traygin
    Fade - As Kepli has said no harm done. And also as Kepli has said is to have a lot of fun with FG!

Kelpli what is “Little Kingdoms”?
    Little Kingdoms is a very, very new company I am part of. Keep an eye on the FUM forum for our official start date and more information about us
    To quote someone else from the VT world: "It will be glorious"

I wrote a small tool to edit Modules the last two weekends. It reads a db.xml file and generates an easy-to-edit grid for all entrys of the encounter-node (e.g. chatframes, links etc.) including copy/paste etc.
    The other parts of the db.xml are put as raw xml in some memos... so it's easy to make small changes or copy the whole charsheets to another campaign.
    Of course there are a lot of features to improve..
    I will give it to the community when I've finished some testing.

Thread Information