FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Free FG Campaigns?

Besides Wizards Amulet, are there any free FG Campaigns? It seems kind of weird how I can't find any. All the people who DM on here must also use at least a few homebrew made campaigns. So why don't those people save there campaigns and share them with others? Or am I missing something?
    Big props to Ceika and https://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail58.html for my Avatar.

Sex , Drugs , and Rock & Roll . The three things that make life worth living. Oh, and D&D . Yeah, make that four things...

Plug In

I'm new to FG, so more experienced DM's can probably give you a better idea of what's out there, but 99% of what I do and plan to do consists of my taking a classic game or a personally created one dusted off from my (paper) files and translating it into the FG program.

I create a new FG campaign and go from there, putting maps and other images into the appropriate folders, etc. FG allows for an infinite variety of campaigns/adventures/modules, although having more ready-for-FG adventures would be nice.

But, to answer your actual question no, I don't know of any other made-for-FG free adventures available.
    Sed quid custodiet ipsos custodes?

Do you think that maybe you would ever share those adventures you have put together? If everyone did that, there would soon be a huge inventory of adventures for people who play FG D&D.
    Big props to Ceika and https://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail58.html for my Avatar.

Sex , Drugs , and Rock & Roll . The three things that make life worth living. Oh, and D&D . Yeah, make that four things...

Digital Adventures offers several adventures as free downloads: https://www.digitaladventures.net/downloads.htm. The adventures require either Monte Cook's Arcana Evolved or Iron Heroes ruleset, proprietary (licensed and not free) rulesets also created by Digital Adventures.

Argh! First they make you buy FG, then they get you with the add ons.

Creating a custom adventure in FG takes a lot of time and effort, you could say it would be a labour of love. It may be a campaign that is personal to the way the DM runs it. And the DM may not want to give the adventure away for free, so that people could change it and mess with it.

I'm not sure why you expect others to give away free adventures. You buy the FG client to allow you to run your own or participate in others adventures, but at the end of the day it is only a client. It's not a stand alone compendium of free adventures. I'm sure if you wish to join some campaigns that are accepting players, you will be welcomed in to the games with open arms, or you could craft and DM your own.
    Fade Moonbow

In addition to the time to write an adventure, creating maps (Dundjinni, Fractal, CC3 etc) takes hours, converting to xml (including the npcs) similarly. You are best off buying these or creating your own from a purchased pdf. At the moment I know of no, or few, "free" adventures.

As a rough guide to the time involved: a 40 page pdf adventure takes about 4-5 hours to cut and paste and format into FG having decided to ignore 5 pages or so of non essential stuff. NPC's, extra non ruleset monsters are time consuming extras.

Redoing the maps (optional) can take another 4-5 hours depending on expertise and the desired end product.

Extra graphic images another 1-2 hours to crop and resize.

A clear weekend is normally sufficent and a 40 page pdf adventure can often last an FG group (assuming 3-4 hours per session, once a week) for 2-4 months.

Creating The Wizards Amulet took a LOT of effort on our part. We almost started to work on the 2nd adventure on that path and Goodman Game's $2 adventure Dragonfiend Pact but they never got off the ground.

When 2.0 comes out I'll probably update Wizards Amulet. Since I'm running a FG game once a week I don't have time to try and create anything else.

Since the game I'm running is a published book (The Worlds Largest Dungeon) I can't really share it. I don't put in all the content anyway... I just read what I need to from the book as we play.

I have shared the tokens and maps I've made on another site dedicated to WLD.

I think the problem is that you can't share the paid for modules and peoples personal stuff is too tied into their game to be easily shared. Heck, we've had arguments about if WoTC's free adventures can be shared (net result was that they only could with WoTC's blessing which I don't think anyone ever got).

rv

Yeah the problem is there are so many layers of copyright issues to go through for an adventure (the adventure, the images/maps, npc/creatures), that your not going to be able to find many free distributed adventures.

I have a campaign that I ran for 8 months and I'm working on part two of it now, waiting for FGII to be released to actually enter more info. I have thought about making it available but 1st wanted to have Snikle redo the maps since they are all over the place style wise.

However it has occured to me that it maynot make sense to anybody else but me, and adding all the info to make it understandable by other DMs may be too time consuming.

Still, if us fummies ever got it together little 1-2 session adventures would be nice to have around.

-D

Thread Information