DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 4 of 4 First ... 234
    Not being allowed to update without login would be a drawback for demo license players. We just played our first round of online RPG via FG Classic using my Ultimate license. I told my players to download and install the demo version and straight up connect to my server. There was no need for my players to create accounts at FG first, we could just start playing with minimal hassle.

I believe it’s largely in part due to usernames being required for using our cloud servers. Someone else may be able to speak deeper about the decision, but it’s likely just a necessity in general from the new design of the networking system as a whole.

Ultimately while it is a bit more work getting people to sign up for accounts to Demo, I think the goal is generally to reduce other issues with port forwarding and direct connection in favor of something more user friendly.

I suspect that several GMs will create dummy accounts for their users then, in order to lower the entry hurdle. In that case in might make more sense for FGU to use its own dummy user anyway. Else you create an unnecessary hurdle for new demo users that may make them shy away from using FG altogether. Many of the around-the-table players don't like the idea of playing at a computer, as this is somewhat the opposite of the social happening they like to attend to.

Why not ask users for their license *before* the first update instead? Anyone with a license key needs to enter their account credentials then and anyone without a key (aka demo) can go on without credentials. Only then would the update software download the corresponding files once.
    Last edited by Weissrolf; April 6th, 2020 at 09:44.

Thread Information