STAR TREK 2d20

Mac Standard User

Purchased and loaded fantasy ground unity onto a Mac Pro running OS X 10.15.3. The installer would only run in the admin account but seemed indicate the program would run from any account on the system.
    It seems to run OK from from the admin account
    From a standard account has trouble accessing the SmiteWorks folder..
    I tried creating a link from the Standard account to the SmiteWorks folder in the admin account but that did not work.
    I don't train duplicating the SmiteWorks folder into the standard account. this got a little bit further before the program died.

Question: can this program we use from a standard account.

PS: I looked around for about 10 minutes but was unclear about where to post this issue so hopefully this is the correct location.

mod: moved to Unity Playtest Forum
    Last edited by LordEntrails; March 23rd, 2020 at 05:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Garsun View Post
    Purchased and loaded fantasy ground unity onto a Mac Pro running OS X 10.15.3. The installer would only run in the admin account but seemed indicate the program would run from any account on the system.
    It seems to run OK from from the admin account
    From a standard account has trouble accessing the SmiteWorks folder..
    I tried creating a link from the Standard account to the SmiteWorks folder in the admin account but that did not work.
    I don't train duplicating the SmiteWorks folder into the standard account. this got a little bit further before the program died.

Question: can this program we use from a standard account.

PS: I looked around for about 10 minutes but was unclear about where to post this issue so hopefully this is the correct location.

mod: moved to Unity Playtest Forum
    At the moment, Fantasy Grounds on OSX installs to the /Applications/ folder, and therefore updates require administrator access.
    If you're not on an admin account, then the program would have to be run with sudo on the command line, still requiring admin password.

I will add a task to see what it will take to change the installer to give the option to install for other users.

You could work around this for now by
    1: Move /Applications/SmiteWorks to something like ~/Applications/SmiteWorks
    *Note, currently fantasy grounds data installs to ~/SmiteWorks, so make sure the application and data paths are separate.
    2: Open FantasyGroundsUpdater from the new location, open settings, and change the Application folder (under Advanced settings) to target the new location.

This should allow you to run from a standard user account as long as it is located in that user's home folder.
    Let me know if you need more info.

I moved Applications/SmiteWorks to ~/Applications/SmiteWorks and admin user's ~/SmiteWorks to standard user's ~/SmiteWorks
    when launching FantasyGroundsUpdater the app pops up the massage "Fantasy grounds updater does not have great access to the data directory. Please only launch the updater using fantasygrounds.exe in the main directory" with a Choice to either "Relaunch" or "OK"
    After choosing "OK" I can then select "Settings" "Advanced" and change the App Directory. It appears that this change does not stick between re-launchs. It reverts back to /Applications/SmiteWorks/FantasyGrounds.

On a whim I changed all folders and files to have "everyone" permission set to "read/write" but that did not seem to help:-(

I moved the folders so neither folder is at the original admin account location.

Further advice would be helpful:-)

Did you try making the changes to pathing in editor as Admin or the standard user account?

The preference files that actually store the settings information are located at:
    /Library/Preferences/SmiteWorks/fantasygrounds.conf
    (This stores the App directory, and I believe would require admin access to change since it's at /Library/...)

The second file is
    ~/Library/SmiteWorks/fantasygrounds.conf
    (This stores the data directory preference)

The easiest thing right now would probably just to edit these manually in a text editor.

The first should be run either on an admin account, or with the sudo command in terminal.
    I'd recommend for ease, run both commands on the standard user account, but elevate the first with sudo

Terminal:
    sudo open /Library/Preferences/SmiteWorks/fantasygrounds.conf
    (change the AppDir path to be the fully qualified path for your user, mine in this case would be something like /Users/redeyesofnight/Applications/SmiteWorks/Fantasy Grounds)

For the second (if run on standard user account):
    open ~/Library/Preferences/SmiteWorks/fantasygrounds.conf
    (Change the DataDir path to the fully qualified path for your user, mine would be something like /Users/redeyesofnight/SmiteWorks/Fantasy Grounds)

I know OSX installer packages provide the option for single-user installs, so I've filed a task to investigate this to make the process easier in the future.

Looks like both the /Library/Preferences/SmiteWorks/fantasygrounds.conf and ~/Library/SmiteWorks/fantasygrounds.conf must be presents and identical. :-) I have it working....

Now, as a new game master I need to see how things worked from a player point of view. So naturally loaded fantasy on a second computer(A windows 10 PC
    the PC will be the GM system and the Mac will be the "Player" (ya I know, customers are weird)
    Discovering that there is a license key conflict if running both computers with the same user I created a second user to be the player.
    after changing the User name and password on the Mac it seem to only update the ~/Library/SmiteWorks/fantasygrounds.conf. This makes sense so I copied that file to /Library/Preferences/SmiteWorks/fantasygrounds.conf.
    Everything appear to work until after the update procedure.
    Now I get the following error log:
    [4/7/2020 7:29:34 PM] Launcher scene starting.
    [4/7/2020 7:29:35 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Unable to load vault file (extensions/Decal_COS/extension.xml) from product (WOTC5ECOS)
    [4/7/2020 7:29:35 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Unable to load vault file (extensions/Decal_DIA/extension.xml) from product (WOTC5EDIA)
    [4/7/2020 7:29:35 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Unable to load vault file (extensions/Decal_DMG/extension.xml) from product (WOTC5EDMG)
    [4/7/2020 7:29:35 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Unable to load vault file (extensions/Decal_EGTW/extension.xml) from product (WOTC5EEGTW)
    [4/7/2020 7:29:35 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Unable to load vault file (extensions/Decal_HOTDQ/extension.xml) from product (WOTC5EHOTDQ)
    [4/7/2020 7:29:35 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Unable to load vault file (extensions/Decal_LMOP/extension.xml) from product (WOTC5ELMOP)
    [4/7/2020 7:29:35 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Unable to load vault file (extensions/Decal_MM/extension.xml) from product (WOTC5EMMDELUXE)
    [4/7/2020 7:29:35 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Unable to load vault file (extensions/Decal_OOTA/extension.xml) from product (WOTC5EOOTA)
    [4/7/2020 7:29:35 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Unable to load vault file (extensions/Decal_PHB/extension.xml) from product (WOTC5EPHBDELUXE)
    [4/7/2020 7:29:35 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Unable to load vault file (extensions/Decal_POTA/extension.xml) from product (WOTC5EPOTA)
    [4/7/2020 7:29:35 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Unable to load vault file (extensions/Decal_ROT/extension.xml) from product (WOTC5EROT)
    [4/7/2020 7:29:35 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Unable to load vault file (extensions/decal_wotc5es4/extension.xml) from product (WOTC5ES4)
    [4/7/2020 7:29:35 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Unable to load vault file (extensions/Decal_SCAG/extension.xml) from product (WOTC5ESCAG)
    [4/7/2020 7:29:35 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Unable to load vault file (extensions/Decal_SKT/extension.xml) from product (WOTC5ESKT)
    [4/7/2020 7:29:35 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Unable to load vault file (extensions/Decal_TOA/extension.xml) from product (WOTC5ETOA)
    [4/7/2020 7:29:35 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Unable to load vault file (extensions/Decal_TYP/extension.xml) from product (WOTC5ETYP)
    [4/7/2020 7:29:35 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Unable to load vault file (extensions/Decal_VGM/extension.xml) from product (WOTC5EVGM)
    [4/7/2020 7:29:35 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Unable to load vault file (extensions/Decal_WDH/extension.xml) from product (WOTC5EWDH)
    [4/7/2020 7:29:35 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Unable to load vault file (extensions/Decal_WGTE/extension.xml) from product (WOTC5EWGTE)
    [4/7/2020 7:29:35 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Unable to load vault file (extensions/Decal_XGTE/extension.xml) from product (WOTC5EXGTE)

I am thinking that this is caused by down grading from a paid user with purchase content to a free user with nothing purchased. (but I could be wrong).
    Everything seem to work even with the errors but it would be nice to be able to get rid of them anyway.

PS: is creating two accounts the proper way to learn and test my set up or something else recommended?

PPS: just in case you don't hear it enough this is a fantastic program and I'm really enjoying it:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Garsun View Post
    Looks like both the /Library/Preferences/SmiteWorks/fantasygrounds.conf and ~/Library/SmiteWorks/fantasygrounds.conf must be presents and identical. :-) I have it working....

Now, as a new game master I need to see how things worked from a player point of view. So naturally loaded fantasy on a second computer(A windows 10 PC
    the PC will be the GM system and the Mac will be the "Player" (ya I know, customers are weird)
    Discovering that there is a license key conflict if running both computers with the same user I created a second user to be the player.
    after changing the User name and password on the Mac it seem to only update the ~/Library/SmiteWorks/fantasygrounds.conf. This makes sense so I copied that file to /Library/Preferences/SmiteWorks/fantasygrounds.conf.
    Everything appear to work until after the update procedure.
    Now I get the following error log:
    [4/7/2020 7:29:34 PM] Launcher scene starting.
    [4/7/2020 7:29:35 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Unable to load vault file (extensions/Decal_COS/extension.xml) from product (WOTC5ECOS)
    [4/7/2020 7:29:35 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Unable to load vault file (extensions/Decal_DIA/extension.xml) from product (WOTC5EDIA)
    [4/7/2020 7:29:35 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Unable to load vault file (extensions/Decal_DMG/extension.xml) from product (WOTC5EDMG)
    [4/7/2020 7:29:35 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Unable to load vault file (extensions/Decal_EGTW/extension.xml) from product (WOTC5EEGTW)
    [4/7/2020 7:29:35 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Unable to load vault file (extensions/Decal_HOTDQ/extension.xml) from product (WOTC5EHOTDQ)
    [4/7/2020 7:29:35 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Unable to load vault file (extensions/Decal_LMOP/extension.xml) from product (WOTC5ELMOP)
    [4/7/2020 7:29:35 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Unable to load vault file (extensions/Decal_MM/extension.xml) from product (WOTC5EMMDELUXE)
    [4/7/2020 7:29:35 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Unable to load vault file (extensions/Decal_OOTA/extension.xml) from product (WOTC5EOOTA)
    [4/7/2020 7:29:35 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Unable to load vault file (extensions/Decal_PHB/extension.xml) from product (WOTC5EPHBDELUXE)
    [4/7/2020 7:29:35 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Unable to load vault file (extensions/Decal_POTA/extension.xml) from product (WOTC5EPOTA)
    [4/7/2020 7:29:35 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Unable to load vault file (extensions/Decal_ROT/extension.xml) from product (WOTC5EROT)
    [4/7/2020 7:29:35 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Unable to load vault file (extensions/decal_wotc5es4/extension.xml) from product (WOTC5ES4)
    [4/7/2020 7:29:35 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Unable to load vault file (extensions/Decal_SCAG/extension.xml) from product (WOTC5ESCAG)
    [4/7/2020 7:29:35 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Unable to load vault file (extensions/Decal_SKT/extension.xml) from product (WOTC5ESKT)
    [4/7/2020 7:29:35 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Unable to load vault file (extensions/Decal_TOA/extension.xml) from product (WOTC5ETOA)
    [4/7/2020 7:29:35 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Unable to load vault file (extensions/Decal_TYP/extension.xml) from product (WOTC5ETYP)
    [4/7/2020 7:29:35 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Unable to load vault file (extensions/Decal_VGM/extension.xml) from product (WOTC5EVGM)
    [4/7/2020 7:29:35 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Unable to load vault file (extensions/Decal_WDH/extension.xml) from product (WOTC5EWDH)
    [4/7/2020 7:29:35 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Unable to load vault file (extensions/Decal_WGTE/extension.xml) from product (WOTC5EWGTE)
    [4/7/2020 7:29:35 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Unable to load vault file (extensions/Decal_XGTE/extension.xml) from product (WOTC5EXGTE)

I am thinking that this is caused by down grading from a paid user with purchase content to a free user with nothing purchased. (but I could be wrong).
    Everything seem to work even with the errors but it would be nice to be able to get rid of them anyway.

PS: is creating two accounts the proper way to learn and test my set up or something else recommended?

PPS: just in case you don't hear it enough this is a fantastic program and I'm really enjoying it:-)
    I’ll have to consider how to handle this scenario more gracefully, but for the time being, I would recommend deleting your vault folder (within the data folder) on your Mac, then updating again.
    This will restore your content with the proper user.

Also, yes creating two users is the correct scenario for you to test this, and I’m glad you’re enjoying the program!

Thread Information