STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Arcane Backgrounds

I have two questions.

In characters is there a way to add new Arcane Backgrounds in the SWADE edition. I can add a new arcane background in the edges area but it is not showing up in the Powers tab on the character sheet.

Secondly, is there a way to display two arcane backgrounds. I have a custom race that gets a power from an Arcane Background. And if the character wants to take a different arcane background. Or for a character that wants to take two arcane backgrounds. How would this be handled in Fantasy Grounds?

Thanks

Panzermeyer

Good questions. I was wondering the same, because both of my Arcane Backgrounds are custom and I have 2 races that have AB (Gifted). Meanwhile, Gifted in my setting doesn't allow a character of that race to acquire additional powers -just the 1 innate power. If they want additional powers they need to acquire an AB like any other character.

[Edit] If this currently requires a custom extension, what would be nice for a future update would be a new edge type of "Arcane Background Edge". Then enumerate for any edge with that type and populate the [Arcane Background] dropdown list on the Powers form with it.
    Last edited by kronovan; March 23rd, 2020 at 18:10.

Nope, you have to create an extension to add new arcane backgrounds

In more detail:

In extension.xml:

[...]
    <base>
    <script name="Launcher" file="scripts/launcher.lua" />
    </base>
    [...]
    In "scripts/launcher.lua": change as appropiate for the name of the background and the linked skill

function onInit()
    ArcaneManager.unregisterAll()
    ArcaneManager.registerArcaneType("Maestría del Loto", {skill = "Lotomancia", powerpoints = "main"})
    ArcaneManager.registerArcaneType("Brujería", {skill = "Hechicería", powerpoints = "main"})
    ArcaneManager.registerArcaneType("Misticismo", {skill = "Iluminación/Tinieblas", powerpoints = "main"})
    end

Are there any documents or wikis or anything that might detail future how to do up an extension?

Thanks Panzermeyer

After probing a bit more, I can see this is only possible with a custom extension. The big problem is that there's no way (or no field) on an edge for identifying a linked skill.

[Edit] Oops had my post open to0 long and lozanaje beat me to it.
    Last edited by kronovan; March 23rd, 2020 at 20:32.

Quote Originally Posted by lozanoje View Post
    In more detail:

In extension.xml:

In "scripts/launcher.lua": change as appropiate for the name of the background and the linked skill
    Are you sure about this?

I don't have a script named launcher.lua in my unpacked Savage Worlds ruleset, but see the following in the manager_arcane.lua:

function onInit()
    registerArcaneType("Gifted", {skill = "Focus"})
    registerArcaneType("Magic", {skill = "Spellcasting"})
    registerArcaneType("Miracles", {skill = "Faith"})
    registerArcaneType("Psionics", {skill = "Psionics"})
    registerArcaneType("Weird Science", {skill = "Weird Science"})
    end
    Nevermind, I think I see what you're suggesting. If I'm reading that correctly, you're suggesting adding a line to the extension.xml that calls a new script called launcher.lua. Then create a launcher.lua script in the extension's script folder with the entries for your own custom arcane backgrounds and their linked skills. Which would then override the ABs that are set in the manager_ arcane.lua script. That correct?

I'm a bit confused by your suggestion though, as the registerArcaneType function in the manage_arcane.lua doesn't support a powerpoints argument. So why would it be different in a custom script?
    Last edited by kronovan; March 23rd, 2020 at 20:33.

Many thanks for the extension example lozanoje - that did indeed work.

The powerpoints = "main" was throwing me off a bit. Reading further into the manager_arcane.lua script though, I could see where the registerArcaneType function there was calling a createArcaneTypeEntry function as an argument, which was then making the same powerpoints assignment. I can see now where your syntax is a simpler, cleaner way of doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by kronovan View Post
    Many thanks for the extension example lozanoje - that did indeed work.
    Sorry, I didnt have the time to elaborate the solution.

I meant that you need to create a new extension, see attached file.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by lozanoje; March 23rd, 2020 at 22:21.

Quote Originally Posted by lozanoje View Post
    Sorry, I didnt have the time to elaborate the solution.

I meant that you need to create a new extension, see attached file.
    NP, I figured it out and created my own extension and lua script. I'd previously gone through the Extension tutorial, so I wasn't completely at a loss - just a partial loss.

Panzermeyer will probably find your attached extension file useful.
    Last edited by kronovan; March 23rd, 2020 at 22:36.

Thread Information