5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Backgrounds - Variant feature

Hi guy, I'm Erik from Italy and I'm totally new to FG.

I'm embarking in the long journey of transferring my physical D&D 5e book to FG (thanks from the bottom of my heart for all your videos and guides...really).

I hit a problem with some backgrounds (noble and sailor). How do you deal with variant features?

Thank you very much for your patience and sorry if you have already answered to this question (I've tried to browse the forum but to no avail).

Erik

Hi damned, thank you very much for your prompt reply!

AS far as I see, you consider variant races as races per se and that's fine. I still don't get how to deal with variant feature in the backgrounds.

From the video. I saw that in the officcial PHB module, there are two noble backgrounds (noble and noble knight). However, considering that two feature are available for the noble background, they should be 4. Unless you deal with variant feature in the background in other ways.

Do you have any suggestion on th

Quote Originally Posted by eriktedesco View Post
    Hi damned, thank you very much for your prompt reply!

AS far as I see, you consider variant races as races per se and that's fine. I still don't get how to deal with variant feature in the backgrounds.

From the video. I saw that in the officcial PHB module, there are two noble backgrounds (noble and noble knight). However, considering that two feature are available for the noble background, they should be 4. Unless you deal with variant feature in the background in other ways.

Do you have any suggestion on th
    last time I checked the background system doesn't really support choices. My solution is to create the basic background, copy and rename it and then edit it to use the variant options. Then the player can select the background which reflects whichever choice they would have made.

Indeed. If you look at the PHB you'll see that the variant backgrounds are complete backgrounds. So the Gladiator variant of the Entertainer background is its own complete background. All the information is the same in both except for any text or features that are different on the variant.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thread Information