DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

[BUG] 5E Dice Re-rolling restriction is not being applied.

I've run into an issue while attempting to create an automatic re-roll die statement for situations where a 1-2 is rolled, and it requires a re-roll. I'm thinking of the Fighters Great Weapon Fighting Style ability in relation to 5th Edition, Dungeons and Dragons. I am running the latest version of FGU, as I updated this morning before doing any testing, I do not know if this happens with other rulessets, as I've not tried any of the other rules. Additionally, there are no extensions added to this test campaign, and I have the following modules loaded:

- Players Handbook
    - Dungeon Masters Guide
    - Monsters Manual,
    - Volo's Guide to Monsters
    - Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes
    - Xandaths Guide to Everything.

It does not matter if those modules are loaded or not, the issue still happens.

The statement I've been using is this:

/die 2d8r2#1

I've been referring to this wiki page:

https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...0/Rolling+Dice

To get the rules on re-rolling the die, this video that I believe was posted by Doug shows in the notes the rules on limiting that re-roll to only happen once:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

However, each time I place a #1 or other variation of the number to restrict the number of re-rolls, it just keeps going (see attached), however exploding die does not seem to have this issue, only the re-roll command.

In the screenshot, a 1 and 2 came up in the initial roll, then a 2 was re-rolled alongside an 8, finally that 2 was re-rolled and replaced with a 1, which triggered a final re-roll to get the 6.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by stoehovve; March 22nd, 2020 at 21:58.

Thanks for reporting. We're currently tracking this as task FGU-719 in the Known Issues thread. I've added this thread to the task, so we can make sure it's working when we get a chance to fix it.

Regards,
    JPG

Also you are aware that adding Reroll 2 into the weapon properties will do this automatically?
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I've added the reroll 2 entry in the properties field, and am not getting them triggered there either:

reroll_failure.PNG

Crit Range modify doesn't have an effect either!
    Last edited by Tuleen Donai; May 3rd, 2020 at 02:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuleen Donai View Post
    Crit Range modify doesn't have an effect either!
    Make sure you are putting it in the weapon properties not in the damage field like it looks like you have it now. Check out my pic

Crit.png
    Last edited by avitale34; May 3rd, 2020 at 02:58.

OK. That's a bit confusing ... but it DOES work!

Weapons properties - Reroll 2, Crit Range 19----------BUT!!!

Damage properties - Silver -----------------------------If this "property" isn't in the Damage section, it doesn't work.

Why the dichotomy??

I ran into this issue again while creating a tutorial video, and was wondering if I had done something wrong. The example I was using was to use a d20 and allow it to re-roll on a 1 for a check, now granted this was not being added for an effect of any kind, but I was showing the viewer how to add a "quick slot" items that would allow them to do the same kind of roll, but allow ones to get re-rolled:

/die 1d20r1

The issue was that I realized quickly, that this would re-roll and other 1's that pop up (repeats), as per the dice rolling guide here:

https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...0/Rolling+Dice

I was hoping that FGU-719 had been updated to affect dice re-rolls, but that does not appear to be the case in the most recent stable release.

My end goal, was to get the viewer to setup this as their quick slot item:

/die 1d20r1#1

So that it would limit the re-roll to just the first 1, but using the following command in my example:

/die 1d2r1#1

and confirmed that the #1 has no effect on the re-roll, I was able to trigger 8 subsequent re-rolls before it got a roll that equaled a 2.
    FGC Ultimate License, FGU Ultimate License
    FG Discord - Stoehovve
    Fantasy Grounds Unity Tutorials - https://www.youtube.com/user/stoehovve

Not sure about your macro problem, but Zacchaeus pointed out that you can use the properties, too I know that you wrote that this didn't work for you, but your screenshot shows that it works (all the chat messages show the property and the last message actually shows that something was rerolled Be aware of that you won't see a physical die for the reroll when using the properties)

Though a bug in the dice macros is still good to be reported of course

EDIT: the example in the wiki shows that the # is used to overwrite how a success is counted (default is 1) It does not restrict the number of rerolls, that is not yet implemented for macros
    Last edited by Kelrugem; January 25th, 2021 at 16:13.

Hi Kelrugem,

Yes, you are correct that will work with an attack role (and it does work that way since I first reported this issue), but while the original report of this dice re-rolling option was using an attack as an example, the real issue is that the #x option to restrict re-rolls still is not working. In my updated example, I'm not making an attack role, I am making a saving throw using the Fantaical Focus skill from the Zealot's subclass features for the barbarian, where you can re-roll it. I was using:

/die 1d20r1#1

as the example, but ideally, in reality the end configuration of that roll might look like this:

/die 1d20r10#1

Such, that... it will re-roll the dice, if the roll came up with a 10 or lower, but I only want it to do that once. Granted this assumes that I know what the failure point is, but the end result is going to be the same, roll the dice, if the resulting value is lower then the "rxx" value, re-roll it. In order for something like that to work though, the #x needs to work to restrict the number of times a dice will be re-rolled, because if you use 10 as the lower bounds value, its quite conceivable to have multiple successive rolls that are all 10 or under, when I only wanted the dice to re-roll it once.

EDIT: You are correct, the wiki does state that, but the example that Doug was presenting in the video, if you look at the new FGU dice macro's sheet, near the middle where the re-roll dice option is, it states right there, that there was an option to:

roll 3d6r2#1 (re-roll 1s and 2s once only)

That's what I was reporting against, I'd simply provided the link to the original page that got me to the first when I first posted, did not realize it was now different the second time I posted the link :>
    Last edited by stoehovve; January 25th, 2021 at 21:54.
    FGC Ultimate License, FGU Ultimate License
    FG Discord - Stoehovve
    Fantasy Grounds Unity Tutorials - https://www.youtube.com/user/stoehovve

Thread Information