5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Displaying player view in another window/instance on same computer

Is it possible for a DM to display player view in a separate window or instance of FG on the same PC? There are two scenarios where I need this:

1. In-person games where I want to display a map on second, horizontal monitor

2. Online games where I want to show the map to players by sharing a window via Google Meet/Hangouts

I've been unable to connect to get cloud-server mode to work and am not sure whether my players would want to have to download and install software. But I would like a way to display a battlemap where I can place and move tokens, perhaps with line-of-sight. But that will only work if I can display the player view to others.

I've seen DMs do this with FG classic, but I don't see options to do it with Unity. And I'm not finding forum posts or help articles about it. If someone could confirm whether this is possible, and if so, explain how to do it or link to a resource showing how to do it, I'd really appreciate it.

Yes. Start the first instance selecting a LAN game and start it up. Now start a second instance of Unity and click join. In the connection where you would normally type in the IP address type 'localhost' (without the quotes).
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

"Authorization Failed: License key conflict"

I'm paying at the 10/month subscription rate, if that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by MNBlockhead View Post
    "Authorization Failed: License key conflict"

I'm paying at the 10/month subscription rate, if that matters.
    You mean you got that error when you tried to connect the second instance?

Did you follow my directions? First instance you must select a LAN game; second instance you must click join instead of host campaign and type localhost into the join By IP and Port box and then click start.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    You mean you got that error when you tried to connect the second instance?

Did you follow my directions? First instance you must select a LAN game; second instance you must click join instead of host campaign and type localhost into the join By IP and Port box and then click start.
    1. I open FGU from the Windows Start menu and select Host a Game
    2. I select my campaign under select campaign. I select Server Type: LAN and leave port at 1802. Everything else I leave with default settings.
    3. I click Start and wait for the campaign to load.
    4. I open FGU again from the Windows Start menu and click the Join Campaign button.
    5. An error window pops up with the following message:

[3/20/2020 10:37:55 PM] Launcher scene starting.
    [3/20/2020 10:38:27 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Unable to update session list from lobby server. [Lost connection to MatchUp server.]

6. I click the Close button on the error window.
    7. In the "Join By Port and IP" fields I enter "localhost" in the IP address field and leave the port field as 1802. I don't click or change anything else.
    8. I click the "Start button"
    9. In the pane above the Start button a red error message displays: "Authorization failed: license key conflict."

GM_HostAGame.png
    SendInstance_TryingtoJoinasPlayer.png

First try updating FGU to make sure that your error doesn't get cleared by the update.

I generally don't start from the start menu I have it pinned to the taskbar but I don't think that matters. In any case once the first instance is running right click on the FGU icon on the start bar and select fantasy Grounds and start the second instance that way. I don't know if that will solve the problem or not but it's the way I do it for Classic so I've just continued that method for Unity.

First try updating FGU to make sure that your error doesn't get cleared by the update.

I generally don't start from the start menu I have it pinned to the taskbar but I don't think that matters. In any case once the first instance is running right click on the FGU icon on the start bar and select fantasy Grounds and start the second instance that way. I don't know if that will solve the problem or not but it's the way I do it for Classic so I've just continued that method for Unity.
    Updated and tried launching the second instance by right-clicking on the icon in the task bar. Same issue. Strange that it would work for you and not me. I wonder what I doing different or what is different about my system. I am able to get it to work with FG Classic, but I'm not sure I want to go through the effort of learning a deprecated tool and I certainly don't want to pay money for it if it is going to be replaced. Again, strange that I can get multiple instances of FGC running and connecting on local host but not FGU.

Quote Originally Posted by MNBlockhead View Post
    Updated and tried launching the second instance by right-clicking on the icon in the task bar. Same issue. Strange that it would work for you and not me. I wonder what I doing different or what is different about my system. I am able to get it to work with FG Classic, but I'm not sure I want to go through the effort of learning a deprecated tool and I certainly don't want to pay money for it if it is going to be replaced. Again, strange that I can get multiple instances of FGC running and connecting on local host but not FGU.
    It is and I can't see anything in your screenshots that looks out of place. Can you post your console.log file immediately after you get the error. You'll find it in the FG Data folder (Click the small folder icon top right of the start screen to navigate to this folder).

It is and I can't see anything in your screenshots that looks out of place. Can you post your console.log file immediately after you get the error. You'll find it in the FG Data folder (Click the small folder icon top right of the start screen to navigate to this folder).
    [3/21/2020 1:45:55 AM] Launcher scene starting.
    [3/21/2020 1:47:20 AM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Unable to update session list from lobby server. [Lost connection to MatchUp server.]
    [3/21/2020 1:47:32 AM] Attempting direct connection to server. [localhost:1802]
    [03/21/2020 01:47:32] Client connected. Waiting for authorization. [1]
    [3/21/2020 1:47:32 AM] Client attempting authorization. [MNBlockhead - DIRECT (NON-MEDIATED)]
    [03/21/2020 01:47:32] Authorization failed: License key conflict.
    [3/21/2020 1:47:33 AM] Authorization failed: License key conflict.

I have my fantasy ground unity on task bar, after first instance you open up load game with Lan then go down to task bar you will see two fantasy grounds buttons right click on the one with the line underneath and start fantasy grounds unity up. All I had to do, messed with it forever til I did that. Hope this helps you or other that is having this problem.

Thread Information