STAR TREK 2d20

Stat weirdness with PCs imported from HeroLab...

Greetings all,

Total noob here, so forgive me if this has been addressed elsewhere. (I looked but didn't see anything relevant).

I am in the process of learning FG and setting up my first campaign. I have been a long time user of HeroLab and have that system down pat. So, I was very please when I learned that I could create all my PCs, NPCs, and creatures in HL and import them directly into my FG campaign.
    However, in doing so, I have noticed two things I found troublesome and hope that I am just noobing it up somewhere:

1) When I import a .hlfg file into FG using the Character Converter, any items the PC has equipped that would effect their stats, such as equipped Armor's effect on AC, appear to be "unlinked" from their AC stat itself. For example, I have a 2nd lvl rogue PC that I built in HL. She is wearing leather armor. So, her AC is 16. When I import her into FG, her Character sheet shows her having an AC of 16. It also shows her having the leather armor equipped; exactly as it should be. However, if I was to go and unequip the armor, her AC doesn't change. I can even go in and drop the armor and her AC stays at 16. Now, here's more weirdness. If I go in and, through FG, give her ANOTHER set of Leather Armor and equip it, her AC stays at 16. If I unequip it, it drops back to 14...as it should. So my conclusion is that the "Leather Armor" that is being brought over from HL isn't really being seen by FG as "armor" affecting her AC, but "Leather Armor" that I add and equip through FG itself is. Am I crazy, doing it wrong, or is this intended behavior.

2) In HL, I can create PCs, NPCs, and creatures all as part of encounters, especially from pre-bought Adventure Paths. But, when I import the .hlfg file over, everything gets added into FG as a Character. Now, this isn't an issue, however, I can't create "Encounters" in FG using anything other than NPCs. Is there a way to either, A. Import items from and .hlfg file as NPCs, or B. Build an Encounter with actual Characters, instead of NPCs.

Thanks for any advice you can give me!!

-TTritten

Thanks for the feedback.

1) The HL import tool was built over 5 years ago; and both companies have evolved their products since then. Since they use vastly different information for their respective databases, the raw values for the field are brought over, but not linked to specific gear. (which is handled differently in FG) This tool will be deprecated in the near future, and is not offered with FGU already. (It is 32-bit, only runs on Windows, and the evolving differences make it hard to support.)

2) The HL import tool was only built to support player characters. There never was an option to convert NPCs.

Regards,
    JPG

There's also a community project to parse NPCs in the sticky posts:
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...2-Beta-Version

Regards,
    JPG

Thanks for the quick response.

1) If the Character Converter is on the way out, will there be something to replace it?
    2) So if I have an encounter with a guard dog and 2 shopkeepers (Lvl1 Commoners) as NPCs all equipped with gear, skills, feats, abilities, etc. I will need to build them from scratch in FG as NPCs? How exactly would that work? "Human" doesn't exist as a selectable NPC from the Libraries and how would I give an NPC "levels" in something (Commoner, Adept, Warrior, etc...)?

-TT

I think the Creature Parser link you posted might be the answer to my 2nd followup question....
    Thanks.

No, there will not be anything to replace the character converter utility. The demand is actually much lower for a utility like that, then when it was created years ago. And, the constantly evolving platforms by both companies make it expensive to maintain.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information