DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 4 of 5 First ... 2345 Last

Thread: Unity too slow

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    And the number of modules loaded having all their images pulled into assets
    Yes, I agree with this. I dont know how it works, however, it seems like the full image is loaded.

1. Should there be a separate thumbnail image which is generated for each big image?
    2. Images should only appear when they show in the current search screen (so only 50 or so thumbnails would have to be loaded at a time).

Similar things for items etc.

1. Only need to have a string list of items in the module, and only load the stats for those appearing in the search results?

I think overall, we know that the team has very experienced programmers, and they know the system better than anyone here. I am sure they are looking into all options. They just need time .

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Old news if FG was a brand new application. But it’s not. If you don’t use LUA then you throw out all rulesets, extensions, etc. that have been developed over the last 10+ year.
    FGU is kind of a new application, but I see the dilemma, of course. Still it seems that currently we get the bad of both worlds, legacy LUA holding back modern computers from running FG faster and Unity overhead on top of it decreasing performance further. And the end result even looks worse graphically (readability) at the moment.

Frankly, while I know that FGU is a work in progress I have little understanding why it is prominently put on top of the Download list with no STRONG indication of it being in Beta (partly even Alpha) state?! That is pointing all potential new users - like my current Pathfinder group - to an unfinished product. Classic likely will need a "Legacy" indication quite soon, which leaves FG in an uneasy state for the time being.

I agree.
    When I first heard of Unity 2 years ago, I actually thought that all addons (Mods) would have to be repurchased and that the library would start out skimpy while they rebuilt it. Maybe a discount for those who already owned it is what I thought. I was ok with that. Sometimes you have to shed that old stuff, and that is just the way it goes. I know that is not a common belief, but ... I want quality over quantity pls.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by arcanjl View Post
    I agree.
    When I first heard of Unity 2 years ago, I actually thought that all addons (Mods) would have to be repurchased and that the library would start out skimpy while they rebuilt it. Maybe a discount for those who already owned it is what I thought. I was ok with that. Sometimes you have to shed that old stuff, and that is just the way it goes. I know that is not a common belief, but ... I want quality over quantity pls.
    For what's it's worth, you're the first person I've heard of that is willing to re-buy everything for FGU. I've seen hundreds of posts and comments over the last year or two with people concerned or put off by the thought that they would have to re-buy anything. Heck, even some complain about having to buy a new license (even with discounts).

But, everyone wants something a little different or has different needs and tolerance levels.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    For what's it's worth, you're the first person I've heard of that is willing to re-buy everything for FGU. I've seen hundreds of posts and comments over the last year or two with people concerned or put off by the thought that they would have to re-buy anything. Heck, even some complain about having to buy a new license (even with discounts).

But, everyone wants something a little different or has different needs and tolerance levels.
    Yes, I'm very thankful I'm not having to re-buy all my content for a newer platform. I don't think the performance thing will be an issue too much longer.

I am a new user, not much to rebuy anyway, but that decision has already been made. I linked to a LUA multi-threading library in my last post, is this something that would work for FGU? And is there a reason why FGU does not (optionally) allow preloading of data before the GM/player opens the corresponding windows?

Quote Originally Posted by arcanjl View Post
    When I first heard of Unity 2 years ago, I actually thought that all addons (Mods) would have to be repurchased and that the library would start out skimpy while they rebuilt it.
    If that was the case then the amount of DLC available for DGU would shrink drastically - to perhaps just D&D 5E. To program a ruleset takes many hundreds of hours of work - and this is all currently in LUA and XML. To move away from that would mean all rulesets would have to be rebuilt from the ground up, and maybe a lot of the DLC too. This is one of the main reasons that the FGC framework (LUA and XML) *had* to be kept, otherwise you would be basically doing a completely new application with new DLC. I for one would not take the hundreds of hours to move stuff I've developed over. And FG would go from the VTT with the most official content and most variety of content to a brand new app with very little content.

The goal has always been to have maximum compatibility with old FG material. This hasn't changed in over 5 years, and hopefully won't change. FG Classic shows that LUA can work in a single-threaded environment.

I get it, people want to game using FGU beta and just go ahead and play without issues. But this is in beta and the devs have said many times that efficiency in terms of memory and performance will be one of the last things done before general release. The massive increase in users has hit the devs hard as it has uncovered some scalability issues in the cloud environment - and these are being looked at as a priority.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

The large catalog of DLCs sure is one reason why I invested in FG compared to Roll20, especially the quick adoption of current Pathfinder Adventure Path modules. Single-threaded LUA (and whatever) still is becoming more and more of a nuisance to me, not specific to FG, but in general. I working with a 5 GHz 9900K PC and still regularly have to wait for software to finish tasks that quite obviously could have been parallelized (loading multiple images/files concurrently from modern SSDs is one example). Time is precious, even more so recreational time.

I get it, people want to game using FGU beta and just go ahead and play without issues. But this is in beta...
    Tell that to the FG website, the FG installer, the FG updater and the FG application. None of these mark FGU as "Beta", the FGU download even is on top of the list above the Classic download luring users to download non-finished software without telling them. This seems rather counterproductive to setting up proper expectations.

I realize that this has been a whirlwind, but from your statement, it has been 5 years. There could have been some reprogramming in the background from the ground up without even telling the users. 5 years is a long time. But... that didn't happen, my guess is that it has been a pretty small company, so it is easier to Monday morning quarterback, please take what I say with a grain of salt. AND yes, I understand that this is BETA, but wouldn't performance be number 1 on the 'bugs' to fix? If there are ways to use multi-threading with LUA, and the use of preloading - that would be HUGE.

Anyway, I am DMing again tonight, with a smaller group this time, and will try it again with the new build.

Quote Originally Posted by Weissrolf View Post
    I working with a 5 GHz 9900K PC and still regularly have to wait for software to finish tasks that quite obviously could have been parallelized (loading multiple images/files concurrently from modern SSDs is one example). Time is precious, even more so recreational time.
    Here here. And if the players have to wait?? oh man, end of the world lol

Thread Information