DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 5 of 5 First ... 345

Thread: Unity too slow

I don't think any of us truly appreciate the monumental task it has been to get FGU to where it is now. Only those directly involved will truly know. We can all speculate and give our opinions on what would be the best way to go in a perfect world, or with millions of dollars available for a big development team. The truth of the matter is that SmiteWorks is not a massive company, they rely on community developers for the majority of their products (rulesets and DLCs) and have had to juggle the regular release of FGC updates during the long development of FGU, while keeping their eyes on the end goal - backwards compatibility and multi-platform support.

Like I said - the devs have been very open that their priority right now is not on performance efficiency - that will come closer to general release. I'm sure they'll look at various possible way of improving performance when they get round to actually working on it.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    I don't think any of us truly appreciate the monumental task it has been to get FGU to where it is now. Only those directly involved will truly know. We can all speculate and give our opinions on what would be the best way to go in a perfect world, or with millions of dollars available for a big development team. The truth of the matter is that SmiteWorks is not a massive company, they rely on community developers for the majority of their products (rulesets and DLCs) and have had to juggle the regular release of FGC updates during the long development of FGU, while keeping their eyes on the end goal - backwards compatibility and multi-platform support.

Like I said - the devs have been very open that their priority right now is not on performance efficiency - that will come closer to general release. I'm sure they'll look at various possible way of improving performance when they get round to actually working on it.
    Yes, and the bitching does sound like we don't appreciate it. WE DO, or at least I do. This is a program that we use (as in me hours a day), and love, and just want the best. I actually missed that performance will come later, thank you for that.

My player never saw that screen. They went straight to the homepage -> download. Had I not specifically told them otherwise then they would just have downloaded the first hit, which is the Unity installer. As far as I can tell there is no mentioning of the word "Beta" anywhere along that way from start to finish.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by arcanjl View Post
    yes, I understand that this is BETA, but wouldn't performance be number 1 on the 'bugs' to fix? If there are ways to use multi-threading with LUA, and the use of preloading - that would be HUGE.
    If players can't connect, or download content, or see shared images, then their is no point in being able to do it quickly

As the Devs have said, they have look at multi-threading LUA, and its' not something they can do in a reasonable amount of development time. In part because the commercial tools to do so are not mature enough for their liking.

Quote Originally Posted by Weissrolf View Post
    My player never saw that screen. They went straight to the homepage -> download. Had I not specifically told them otherwise then they would just have downloaded the first hit, which is the Unity installer. As far as I can tell there is no mentioning of the word "Beta" anywhere along that way from start to finish.
    So your players downlaoded software based on your recommendation? And you never told them it was beta? Ok. And on the Home page they didn't see the big graphic?
    Screen Shot 04-06-20 at 09.09 AM.PNG

Look, I get it, most people would have to scroll down a little to see that. And it is certainly foreseeable that folks wouldn't do that. But continuing to complain that someone can install beta software without knowing it because they went straight to the download link is not productive. I can only imagine the complaints it the link wasn't to the installer and it was to another info page.

At some point, people need to take responsibility for their own actions.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    So your players downlaoded software based on your recommendation?
    Of course they did, else they could not have connected to my FG server. And they have to trust my recommendation and judgement that downloading, installing and using this software is more benefit than trouble for our shared social life. Some of them are rather skeptical about such things. Fortunately they did not have to create FG accounts first.

And you never told them it was beta?
    Of course I did, this is why they downloaded Classic instead of Unity. Had I not told them then they would have downloaded Unity, because it is the very first choice on the list and nothing marks it as Beta. Even when you run FGU it is not marked as Beta!

When I tell a customer to download a remote support software like Teamviewer then I don't have to specifically tell them to avoid Beta installations. When I tell them to download a driver then again I don't have to specifically tell them to avoid Beta downloads. I think FGU was the first time in decades that I had to specifically tell people *not* to use the *most obvious *download link, because it would install a beta product.

Ok. And on the Home page they didn't see the big graphic?
    What graphic? Why do users have to search for it? Why do you have to point to it? Get the problem here?

Look, I get it, most people would have to scroll down a little to see that. And it is certainly foreseeable that folks wouldn't do that.
    A little, yes. And then they are told about "Early Access". What does that mean? Does that mean early access to the finished product, like when you see a movie early at a theater? Is it Alpha, is it Beta, do people even know what that means? Does the link on said "Early Access" image take you to a page that clearly states what all this is about? Or do you first have to click on the correct question (#3 "Which version should I buy if I am new")? And even then you are only told about "Early Access", nothing about the software still being in a Beta phase (some parts maybe even rather Alpha).

Here is part of the answer: "...still has some bugs and missing features, we believe that it is ready for people to play and start using."

Nothing there states that performance and visuals are worse than Classic in several aspects, even to the point of one thinking the program froze when on a very modern system it keeps starting up for half a minute without any progress bar (that's what progress bars and hour-glass pointers were invented for).

But continuing to complain that someone can install beta software without knowing it because they went straight to the download link is not productive. I can only imagine the complaints it the link wasn't to the installer and it was to another info page.
    People are either willingly or unnecessarily misguided to download, install and use unfinished software. This should not happen, period!

At some point, people need to take responsibility for their own actions.
    Whose action was it to knowingly set up the home-page to lead people into downloading Unity as if it was (very close to being) finished? Why would people not be confused about the current state of the software when it is "marketed" as rather close to the finish line? We are even asked to upgrade and pay money given the very same impression of "hurry, it's nearly ready for official publication".
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Weissrolf; April 6th, 2020 at 20:04.

I would vote to lock this thread at this point. What started out as a useful discussion characterizing performance issues has somehow devolved into a mix of venting frustration and and reports/suggestions that are so uninformed that they border on disinformation.

Well, people have to stay honest and keep some perspective. Everyone is here to report issues with the unfinished Beta version of FGU, so we can live with drawbacks and bugs. But people were also somewhat made to believe that the product was at a later stage of development than it truly seems to be. And at least part of us had hoped for more substantial changes rather than just hoping that FGU at least matches Classic in playability when it is finally finished.

(Limited) LOS and map making is great, the network Lobby at least promises to save the firewall/router woes, but everything else is expected to work at least at well as Classic, preferably better. Just listing expectations and experiences here, no frustration or venting from my side.

Blog Entries
    I've got to agree with Pollux. I don't see any value in the continuation of this discussion and I probably shouldn't have made my last post either. I knew it wasn't going to be productive but I thought it was worth a try.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Closed for now. If you are having specific issues, please report in an individual thread.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information