DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Fantasy Grounds Newbie Questions

Hello,

I'm checking out this product. It looks pretty cool, but despite all the manuals, wikis, videos and demos, I still find myself struggling with understanding some basics.

I just downloaded and installed the standard classic edition, version 3.3 off Steam. (It's on sale.)

Question 1: Is there sound? I see demos where they roll the dice and it makes a dice-rolling sound. Is that an option to enable? And if so, how do I find it?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
    -Ozmar the Newbie GM

Blog Entries
    Nope. Sorry, no sound native sound except for a "turn bell". The videos you have seen are probably people using one of the community sound extensions. Their are two you can look into; "MK Sound" and "Audio Overseer".

Personally I would say don't start using any community extensions until you have the basics of FG down solid. Then you can start adding things as you need them.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thanks!

I'll definitely look into those, but will also take your advice and try to learn how to use this tool first. It seems like it has a lot of utility, but also has a learning curve to overcome.

-Ozmar the Student

Blog Entries
    www.fantasygroundscollege.net.
    Free classes if you prefer a demo/discussion format over a video or manual way to learn

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Newb here too. Since I've heard good things about it, I kind of plunged right in and bought the basic license and also licenses to the bundle of 5.0 source books. Now I realize I'm clueless about how to get started.

I offered to run a game for some friends this Friday and quickly realized that's way too ambitious of a way to start. Would it make sense to try to make a character and find a game to play in first? Does anyone know of good tutorials they would recommend?

Blog Entries
    @dalebert be brave, don't climb out of the water now!!

What resources have you looked at so far? The Tutorial campaign? The manual? YouTube videos? How about a free class at FG College?

What you can also do is to jump on one of the Discord (FG or FGC) and see who's around to help answer questions.

Also, take something like one of the fights from whatever module you have and see about running the combat with pre-gens etc. You can run a second instance of FG on your computer an then walk through how it works from a player and DM perspectives.

Ok, so I am working on trying stuff out using the Pathfinder basic rules that came with the tool.

Question #2: I created a party of PCs to try to sketch out an encounter and practice running it. I created a druid. How do I create a druid's animal companion and add it to the stable of PCs so I can include it in the encounter? Ideally, I'd like it linked to the PC so the player can manage it.

Thanks!
    -Ozmar the Animal Wrangler

Quote Originally Posted by ozmar View Post
    Ok, so I am working on trying stuff out using the Pathfinder basic rules that came with the tool.

Question #2: I created a party of PCs to try to sketch out an encounter and practice running it. I created a druid. How do I create a druid's animal companion and add it to the stable of PCs so I can include it in the encounter? Ideally, I'd like it linked to the PC so the player can manage it.

Thanks!
    -Ozmar the Animal Wrangler
    You have two choices for animal companions. The first is to create it as a PC and it can be controlled by the player. The second is to get an NPC and put it on the combat tracker. make it friendly and then drag it from the CT and drop it onto the player's portrait. The player then can control that NPC. However whilst they can use all the NPCs attacks and abilities etc they can't edit it in any way.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Wouldnt hurt for the player to drag the NPC link down to the shortcut bar for easy access too.
    "When questing once in noble wood of gray medieval pine, I came upon a tomb, rain-slicked, rubbed cool, ethereal, its inscription long vanished, yet still within its melancholy fissures."

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    You have two choices for animal companions. The first is to create it as a PC and it can be controlled by the player. The second is to get an NPC and put it on the combat tracker. make it friendly and then drag it from the CT and drop it onto the player's portrait. The player then can control that NPC. However whilst they can use all the NPCs attacks and abilities etc they can't edit it in any way.
    I tried that, but... for example, the druid can select a small bear as a companion at level 1. The NPCs list only has bears from the core rules which includes a large bear, but not a small bear.

I wonder about creating it as another PC? I suppose I'd have to finely select all the details. Or is there a "small bear" race or an "animal companion" class option?

Thread Information