STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

How to do conviction?

How can I apply Conviction as an Effect? It doesn't look like + 1d6 is a valid effect. All I can think of right now is having the player roll a d6 after the fact and adding it to the result manually. Just given how much of it is automatically calculated I would like to have something more elegant

I am not sure you could automate this as you choose to add 1d6 after you have failed a roll.
    Ultimate License Holder - My games are free to play
    Timezone: GMT

Would that work, though, since you're adding the d6 to the highest roll? Won't it just generate another d6 result?

Yes, there is no automation for this that I am aware of.

I would guess that means no Conviction for FG, which is a bummer, we use it quite often. You could, of course, just do it manually I guess. Roll 2d6 and count on your fingers until you have the result and just manually apply the results, so I guess that works. Thanks Skellan.

Players have to manually track whether they have Conviction or not on Character Sheet, probably in Notes tab. To use, GM can temporarily set "Dice: Desktop dice can Ace" in the Options menu to On. Player can drop the d6 on the chat window and if it rolls a 6, FG will automatically reroll and give you correct total. GM has to do the math to add total of extra d6 to prior roll and adjust total in the Combat Tracker accordingly. Don't forget to set desktop dice can Ace back to off afterwards. If changing the option is too much trouble for the 1 in 6 chance that it Aces, just have the player reroll the d6 if it Aces and do the math yourself, since the automation that is possible doesn't really buy you that much.

Yeah, what Mac said. I don't find using conviction on FG a problem. If it is a trait test its is just a case of adding the additional number for conviction to the test and the results are usually narrative. If it is added to an attack roll, I adjust the attack number on the combat tracker to the new result and it auto calcs raises etc. Same for damage.

An extension could be made to at least track it on the character sheet. Is there a way through scripting to apply the result of the current die roll to the “rolling player”‘s last roll?

I guess I'm just lazy, but some things are more trouble than they are worth to try to automate them in FG and/or don't come up often enough to make the effort worth it AFAIC. While I'm not opposed to an extension to add a properly labeled check box or radio button on the character sheet (as long as somebody else codes it ), somethings are just easier to deal with the same why I would at a real table and the extra d6 to a roll is one of those.

It would be nice if there as at least an indicator on the sheet like a Bennie (something visual for players and GM). Otherwise, its one of those things that will fall away from disuse.

Thread Information