FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 6 of 11 First ... 45678 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurgelrot View Post
    Okay my $.02 having 30 years of UNIX and UNIX like programming and administration. The installer should be a a .bin file; Which in UNIX land is a self extracting shell installer. Way too many different package managers out there to try and support one or 22 of them. There are copious examples on the web for how to create these most of them are for Bash which would be fine since you're only making a LINUX port. The FGU base program and everything need to launch should install under the /opt or /usr/local hierarchy. /opt most likely since again this is LINUX. (don't get me started on that). Trying to keep up with some package management system is just a waste of cycles IMO and this would give us the most flexibility how/where we (the guys running the systems) want it installed.

Once the program is launched by the user all configuration files and any downloaded content should be stored to ${HOME}/.fantasygrounds <-or whatever as long as its identifiable. All you folks going crazy about wanting it under a .local
    tree so you home dir is pretty should just go back to Windows IMO Okay I'm 75% kidding a (.local|.config|.whatever) is fine by me as long as I can find it easy.

So like everyone else the real problem I see is the part of the updater that updates FGU itself. The in-app updater should update all the downloadable content just fine. But FGU binaries should only be updated by a privileged user and for the love of all that's holy don't try and do this yourselves. Way to many professional full time UNIX programmers screw that up. I don't need a big old hole in system security due to my gaming table software.

Personally I'm 100% okay with a notice when I hit update telling me I need to run `sudo ${HOME}/.whatever_linux_insanity_is_choosen/FGU_UPDATE-{verx.y.z}.bin` from a terminal and then rerun the in-app updater. Might seem clunky to SmiteWorks and people coming from Windows but LINUX guys aren't going to be too put out by that. Especially since it allows us to keep running our systems the way we want.

-OR-

Just put the whole thing under ${HOME}/someplace owned by the user. Sure this is sorta crappy from a LINUX point of view but I already have several games that will only install that way so... And are you really going to run multiple VTT as different users at the same time? And even if you do. Just install it again as the other user disk is cheap.
    This! A .bin file - not stuck to a Snap (which is a turd) or .Deb - lots of people don't run Debian (or MS (err Canonical) Ubuntu).

Snap is crap for a lot of reasons, don't even consider it.

Any ETA for a beta? I'm really needing Linux support for Import/Export. Right now FG:U under wine's right click pie menu is disabled for clicks and mouse-over

https://media.discordapp.net/attachm...928&height=757

I've got our Rol20 exporters working, and I'm *really* wanting to be able to point my customers to FG as well.

No ETA yet. We're making incremental progress on it; but the Linux developer is also our Mac developer and installer/updater developer. And, those issues have slightly higher priority for us, since they affect a much larger segment of users. Plus, any issues on those would also happen with Linux. We'll get there.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Gauthic View Post
    Any ETA for a beta? I'm really needing Linux support for Import/Export. Right now FG:U under wine's right click pie menu is disabled for clicks and mouse-over

https://media.discordapp.net/attachm...928&height=757
    Try enabling "virtual desktop" in the Wine settings. FGU has been working well for me with that option.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherShoe View Post
    Try enabling "virtual desktop" in the Wine settings. FGU has been working well for me with that option.
    Great tip! Thanks!

Hi everyone,

quick question regarding Wine and FGU on Ubuntu. Has anyone any guide by any chance? I've been trying in the past week or so to get a good guide but with no success, and while waiting for WoC to release the Ubuntu installer I thought it worth checking the route of using Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Grogpigi View Post
    Hi everyone,

quick question regarding Wine and FGU on Ubuntu. Has anyone any guide by any chance?
    I installed FGU using Lutris, and after installing I changed the "runner options" to enable "virtual desktop" (Right click the game in Lutris, click "configure", and look in the "Runner options" tab). (Without the virtual desktop some clicks and keypresses don't seem to work.)

https://lutris.net/games/fantasy-grounds-unity/

Edit: there is a complication with the updater. The "check for updates" button in the FGU launcher doesn't work. You need to change the "Executable" setting in Lutris in the "Game options" tab in the "Configure" window. Select the executable, "FGUpderEngine/FGUpdaterEngine.exe", run the game, install updates, close the updater, then change the executable setting back to "FantasyGrounds.exe".
    Last edited by TheOtherShoe; May 31st, 2020 at 00:46. Reason: added instructions on running the updater

Although I am a bit late to the party, I think a Docker image is probably the most neutral way to install FGU on alternative operating systems. This method would work on MacOS/Linux/etc.

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on the subject, but I think it might be something worth considering to allow any/all Linux systems to run FGU.

My worst case scenario is to simply spin up a virtual machine and run FGU in there. This should be feasible for any Linux user to do.

I am going to try and get FGU running on Manjaro w/Proton and will post results in thread when I finish.

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyNugget View Post
    Although I am a bit late to the party, I think a Docker image is probably the most neutral way to install FGU on alternative operating systems. This method would work on MacOS/Linux/etc.

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on the subject, but I think it might be something worth considering to allow any/all Linux systems to run FGU.

My worst case scenario is to simply spin up a virtual machine and run FGU in there. This should be feasible for any Linux user to do.

I am going to try and get FGU running on Manjaro w/Proton and will post results in thread when I finish.
    Good idea. Although I think you should post it in its own thread as this thread is not about using WINE or VMs (post above).

I've not invested much time into Docker but I'll have a look, thanks for the reminder.

Thread Information