5E Character Create Playlist
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Quote Originally Posted by celestian View Post
    What particular rules difference in 2E and 1E do you see makes 1E closer to Basic? I always thought the RulesCyclopedia of basic was closer to 2e than 1e. Other than the "attack matrix" which even is basic was ignored for THACO at times.
    Going by memory, I think the biggest differences are what rules didn't exist in 1e originally, but got added over time and all were included in 2e. I agree with you I think 2e is closer to BECMI including the Expert and Companion rules. I think Basic specifically is closer to 1e. For example, paladins and bards. Originally didn't exist in 1e but got added along the way and were included in 2e. Similarly Paladins weren't in the Basic rules, but got added with Expert and Companion, bards never existed in BECMI. Half-elves and half-orcs also, not in BECMI, not originally in 1e, but are in 2e and orcs got added late in the BECMI run with the Gazeteer for humanoid races.

It's been a long time, and I never played much 1e or 2e so I might be misremembering. Despite the name, I always found them overly simplistic compared to BECMI which I preferred.

Quote Originally Posted by GavinRuneblade View Post
    Originally didn't exist in 1e but got added along the way and were included in 2e.
    oD&D did not include Paladins but 1E had them from the start. Also the Bard tho it's version is much different than current versions.

I like Basic up to 2e, it's all so similar that you can mix/match between them. The only thing I found annoying in some of them is the use of a matrix versus THACO. I found having to use a chart for hit/misses was a little to tedious for me
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Quote Originally Posted by celestian View Post
    oD&D did not include Paladins but 1E had them from the start. Also the Bard tho it's version is much different than current versions.

I like Basic up to 2e, it's all so similar that you can mix/match between them. The only thing I found annoying in some of them is the use of a matrix versus THACO. I found having to use a chart for hit/misses was a little to tedious for me
    Thanks! Appreciate that clarification, I thought I might have been misremembering. And yes, the use of tables for everything was not my favorite part of some editions.

Thread Information