Starfinder Playlist
Page 4 of 4 First ... 234
    @Jalex, I don't recall never hearing of Bitdefender Pro for Mac until your post, so I'm not aware whether or not the product could be interfering. Although the product appears to have many interesting reviews / accolades on its Web site, I would suggest completely uninstalling it before attempting these installs/upgrades in the future, just to see if that is an issue. Turning it off may not be enough. Doing this would let us know if that is the difference between the experiences you were having and the success I and others have had with FGU installs/updates. Apple doesn't bundle any third-party products of this sort.

I'm not sure what's triggering the permissions issues. I know I'd seen mention of permissions issues related to the Windows installer earlier in the year, but hadn't seen it mentioned in the context of the Mac installer.

Are you running with a user account created when you first set up the Mac? (It's an admin account, so it can elevate privileges for installations, among other things.)

What is your system's current setting for "Allow apps downloaded from" in System Preferences app > Security & Privacy pane > General tab? Is it "App Store and identified developers"?

Do you have any listing for Fantasy Grounds in System Preferences app > Security & Privacy pane > Privacy tab under either "Files and Folders" or "Full Disk Access"? (I only show Fantasy Grounds as having access to my "Downloads" folder under "Files and Folders," so I don't think this should be an issue, but it's worth checking.) Apple has implemented new Privacy controls since macOS Mojave and these controls can often prevent the use of software in ways that you would expect to work. For example, I've heard of people not being able to save Microsoft Word files to their "Documents" folder because Word was not given access to it. That's a great feature in certain ways, but it can be very frustrating to troubleshoot why an app is not behaving as expected in the more recent versions of macOS.

The directory `~/SmiteWorks/Fantasy\ Grounds/cache` does exist in my macOS user home folder. It looks like it was probably created by my initial FGU install / app launch. It's owned by my user account and has `0755` permissions.

Since things are working, I hope they continue to work. It would be nice if we could collectively figure out what the problem was.
    Last edited by jaharmi; November 30th, 2020 at 01:31.

Quote Originally Posted by jaharmi View Post
    @Jalex, I don't recall never hearing of Bitdefender Pro for Mac until your post, so I'm not aware whether or not the product could be interfering. Although the product appears to have many interesting reviews / accolades on its Web site, I would suggest completely uninstalling it before attempting these installs/upgrades in the future, just to see if that is an issue. Turning it off may not be enough. Doing this would let us know if that is the difference between the experiences you were having and the success I and others have had with FGU installs/updates. Apple doesn't bundle any third-party products of this sort.
    Uninstalling the antivirus was going to be the next step. This is the first time I've used BitDefender, and the first time I've had trouble installing an application in 12 years of using a Mac. Maybe that's not a coincidence...

Are you running with a user account created when you first set up the Mac? (It's an admin account, so it can elevate privileges for installations, among other things.)
    I'm on a user account, and entered the administrator credentials when prompted. This is the first time that didn't work.

What is your system's current setting for "Allow apps downloaded from" in System Preferences app > Security & Privacy pane > General tab? Is it "App Store and identified developers"?
    It's set to "App Store and identified developers."

Do you have any listing for Fantasy Grounds in System Preferences app > Security & Privacy pane > Privacy tab under either "Files and Folders" or "Full Disk Access"? (I only show Fantasy Grounds as having access to my "Downloads" folder under "Files and Folders," so I don't think this should be an issue, but it's worth checking.)
    FGUpdater has access to the Desktop folder under Files and Folders. (I don't know why, I never use the desktop folder.) It installed in user/<username>/SmiteWorks/Fantasy Grounds.

The directory `~/SmiteWorks/Fantasy\ Grounds/cache` does exist in my macOS user home folder. It looks like it was probably created by my initial FGU install / app launch. It's owned by my user account and has `0755` permissions.
    That's where my cache folder ended up. From what I can tell, I am the owner, and have read & write permissions.

Since things are working, I hope they continue to work. It would be nice if we could collectively figure out what the problem was.
    When I was thinking about this last night, I remembered that I used Migration Assistant to transfer documents, music, photos, etc. from my old computer to this one. I didn't migrate any applications. I did have the demo version of FGU installed on the old laptop, and the SmiteWorks folders were copied over. I deleted all of these after the first installation failure. I wonder if that may have caused a problem. I don't know why that would mess with permissions, though.

I plan to dig into FGU a little bit this week. I'm sure there will be lots of questions. It's good to know that I can get answers quickly on these forums and from customer support.

Thanks!

Brand new to Fantasy Grounds. Hunted around a little to see if I could find some troubleshooting guides on installing the software, and this seems to be the place...

I downloaded and opened the FGUWebInstall.pkg with no trouble. But at the point where it said something like "Fantasy Grounds will open" nothing happened. When I went to the "/Applications/SmiteWorks/Fantasy Grounds" location and ran FantasyGroundsUpdater.app manually, a window popped up for a microsecond and then closed. Based on some comments here, I will run the installer again. 3rd time. 4th time. 5th time. All no luck.

I'm guessing something is preventing the Updater from running once it is installed. I've installed plenty of other non-App Store software on my machine without trouble. I have the security settings such that downloaded software is allowed to run.

Running macOS Big Sur on a 2020 MacBook Pro, if that matters. 16GB Ram.

Thanks for any help! Or pointers to a troubleshooting guide?

Update: I went all the way to the "Fantasy Grounds Updater Engine" and that seems to be working! Everything buried in too many folders. ("FGUpdaterEngine.app" instead of "FantasyGroundsUpdater.app")
    Last edited by jackvinson; April 1st, 2021 at 15:44.

@jackvinson You should only need to launch the Fantasy Grounds app. You shouldn’t need to launch the “FGUpdaterEngine.app” or “FantasyGroundsUpdater.app” directly. These other apps run when you click on the Update button from the main Fantasy Grounds menu screen.

It has been some time since you posted, so hopefully things are sorted out for you.

Thread Information