FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Subscription types, rotating DMs, and books/rulesets

Hello. Sorry about this nOOb question. My table wants to migrate to Pathfinder 2 on this platform (we don't use FG yet.) If I were only going to be the DM, then I'd probably buy the Ultimate license and buy the rulesets/books and then the rest of my table would get free licenses. No problem.

However, our table rotates who is the DM. So I guess that means we all need to buy Standard licenses. That is also no problem. This is the problem: does that mean we *each* need to buy the rulesets/books too? Because that would be a significant increase in cost.

Is there a solution I'm not seeing here? (And surely there are other people who play the way my table plays?)

Thanks!

Hi duss, welcome to the community.

Indeed, only the DM can share modules such as rulebooks so if you are going to rotate then each of you would need to purchase whatever materials you wanted. One thing that some groups do that rotate GMs is to take out a subscription and when it's the next DMs go the first cancels and the next subscribes.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Unfortunately that is the biggest limitation I see in the software, and the hardest thing to stomach as a new user. Even something as simple as keeping the current rules, but being allowed to change who is designated as the DM in the session would be a massive improvement.

edit: I will say that the way my group has dealt with it has been that I have been the DM for the first period of time, so my group pitched in to buy license/s (in my case ultimate, but all standards works too) and DM materials (DMG MM etc), over the course of my game the players have over time purchased their own licenses and PHB etc on sale as they come up. If you wait for sales, and don't buy everything in one go, it feels more palatable. Now we're starting up another game with a new DM, and he just needed to buy a pre-written module and PHB and Xanathars to share with the players. I can see how as you keep going around everyone eventually gets all the content. But there's no ignoring the cost in the long term.
    Last edited by Neovirtus; February 26th, 2020 at 20:09.

Blog Entries
    This situation, while common, isn't unique to Fantasy Grounds. Pretty much every digital media has very specific user/licensing. Your MP3s only work on your account. Your ebooks only work on your account. Wanna play Call of Duty or Division with friends? You all need to own it because the games only work on your account. An expansion came out? Everyone has to buy it to play together. And so on.

Now ... one thing FG users did for years before Wizards and Paizo signed on was to make their own data modules. There was basically no other choice, and at least Paizo is extremely generous with their OGL so there's tons of Pathfinder 1E OGL content here on the forums for free. Pathfinder 2E is much newer so not as much has been made yet, but it's coming (both community stuff and retail stuff). And with the OGL stuff, that is obviously freely available to use and to share with your friends and players. That's probably what I'd look into if I were coming in brand-new and wanting to shift not only to a new platform (FG) but a new game system (PFRPG2). The actual PFRPG ruleset comes free with your FG install. It just lacks content (at least I don't think the SRD module has been released yet???) which is where either community OGL content, retail content, or entering the data yourself will come in.

Blog Entries
    Also note that one of the only times I recommend purchasing from Steam in in this case, they have a 4 for the price of 3 standard license pack. Not sure the link, but lots of people have mentioned it before so should be do-able Doesn't help with the DLC though.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by lavoiejh View Post
    I will say that the way my group has dealt with it has been that I have been the DM for the first period of time, so my group pitched in to buy license/s (in my case ultimate, but all standards works too) and DM materials (DMG MM etc), over the course of my game the players have over time purchased their own licenses and PHB etc on sale as they come up. If you wait for sales, and don't buy everything in one go, it feels more palatable. Now we're starting up another game with a new DM, and he just needed to buy a pre-written module and PHB and Xanathars to share with the players. I can see how as you keep going around everyone eventually gets all the content. But there's no ignoring the cost in the long term.
    Thanks Lavoiejh, that's a reasonable way to do it. After all, we may rotate but the plan initially is that I run a module to get our feet wet in the new system and then, if it all runs smoothly, I'll run an AP. By the time that is done, the next person can buy an Ultimate license and whatever books but that could be, like, years from now honestly. Thinking about it that way makes it more reasonable. I'll probably go that route. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    I would definitely not aim to buy everything in this situation (or for many buyers).
    each GM should have the PHB and the module they are running.
    grab them when on sale.
    if a player really needs a class/option in a particular sourcebook they can buy that and they can use that in any game they play - just others cant use it if the owner isnt also the gm.

Blog Entries
    Also there are other systems that the group/gm might like to try instead of 5E that might be overall cheaper - Savage Worlds or Call of Cthulhu?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Also there are other systems that the group/gm might like to try instead of 5E that might be overall cheaper - Savage Worlds or Call of Cthulhu?
    OP said PF2

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Glad my comment was helpful Duus, a couple other thoughts -

1)if you have a constant group, it may make more sense to use standard licenses, rather than buying multiple Ultimate licenses. (in fact it most certainly will, and there are other benefits, such as people being able to start their own instances to mess with their characters and such)

2) if a future DM is looking to run an Adventure Path, they will likely need basically nothing other than that, and player supplements. The prewritten adventures contain all the monsters and items in them, so you don't really need anything else. I personally recommend focusing on the books that contain player options, then Adventure module OR Bestiary if you're homebrewing.

edit: just remembered you are looking at Pathfinder. Sorry, edited to reflect that. Adventure paths provide everything you need, otherwise for homebrewing get the base books.
    Last edited by Neovirtus; February 26th, 2020 at 22:12.

Thread Information