5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Unable to locate program: FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe

I started FGU, clicked on CHECK FOR UPDATES, the updater started and I got busy entertaining myself in a web browser while the download process started. I noticed that the updater snapped closed - so I relaunched FGU and now get:

It would be nice if the updater were available for download rather than reinstalling over the top of FGU.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Check your FG data folder for an update named something like ...PREV

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

The updater creates a file folder called FGudpater_New and then tries to delete the old updater (which it renames FGUpdater_Old) but this can fail and so the process halts. If you delete the _OLD one and replace it with the updater in the _NEW folder and run it, it should carry on fine.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Ok, I located the _NEW one and copied it over. Thanks, guys!

@Topdecker,

* What OS are you using?
    * When was the last time you updated prior to this time?

I want to pass this on to Ryan to review.

Thanks,
    JPG

One of my players and I both saw this same error message when I was running my game last Thursday. (windows 10, unsure of previous version, perhaps up to two weeks?)

edit: One thought that occurs to me is that when I've seen this issue it immediately follows an update, and during the update the "Launcher" seems to be patched first, then FGU should restart prior to updating all the the modules. However, it seems like FGU closes but doesn't auto-restart. So I have to launch the program again, and run the Check for Updates again, which then patches all the modules. Perhaps the same bug which causes the restart to fail is also causing an incomplete patching process?
    Last edited by Neovirtus; February 25th, 2020 at 21:21.

In my case when I looked at the updater log the reason it stopped was a permissions issue (it couldn't delete the old file before continuing). I would have reported it at the time but I knew it was being worked on so I just assumed that this was part of the problem and you knew about it. Should perhaps have not assumed that.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

The only odd thing to transpire is that last week, I installed over the top of my existing install to handle the problems that were going on then with updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    In my case when I looked at the updater log the reason it stopped was a permissions issue (it couldn't delete the old file before continuing). I would have reported it at the time but I knew it was being worked on so I just assumed that this was part of the problem and you knew about it. Should perhaps have not assumed that.
    I have seen this issue crop up before, but it is difficult determining exactly why the file can't be deleted and what's a good way to resolve this.
    As far as I can tell for this specific issue, FGUpdaterEngine is doing its work properly, launching FantasyGroundsUpdater_Old.exe properly (which does the legwork of removing the old updater files and copying in the FantasyGroundsUpdater_NEW).

There are 3 things this program is deleting: FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe, FGUpdaterEngine folder (containing FGUpdaterEngine.exe), and if/when those complete properly, the FantasyGroundsUpdater_NEW folder.

The code in FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe is set to wait until the FGUpdaterEngine process closes, so it *shouldn't* be an issue of the program being open.

If anyone does happen to come across this issue and has FantasyGroundsUpdater.log in their Application folder (particularly with any messages about failed deletion), I would appreciate that.
    This would at least give me insight into which deletion is problematic, and then to figure out why. I'd guess that some file is being accessed and not released properly, but it's tricky to know.

I'll check if anyone's had a similar issue with a log already.

Just had this issue again.

Code:
    [2/26/2020 8:38:09 PM] [NOTICE] Launcher scene starting.
    [2/26/2020 8:38:16 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Updater: Unable to locate program (X:/FantasyGrounds/FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe)
    FantasyGroundsUpdater.txt
    Code:
    ARGS: 
    CheckNewUpdater(): True
    RUNNING AS FantasyGroundsUpdater_OLD.exe
    New Updater Valid: True
    Replace with new updater
    DELETE X:\FantasyGrounds\FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe
    Recursive Delete: X:\FantasyGrounds\FGupdaterEngine
    Deleting parent X:\FantasyGrounds\FGupdaterEngine
    Could not delete parent: 'X:\FantasyGrounds\FGupdaterEngine' System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'FGUpdaterEngine.exe' is denied.
       at System.IO.Directory.DeleteHelper(String fullPath, String userPath, Boolean recursive, Boolean throwOnTopLevelDirectoryNotFound, WIN32_FIND_DATA& data)
       at System.IO.Directory.Delete(String fullPath, String userPath, Boolean recursive, Boolean checkHost)
       at FantasyGroundsUpdater.Program.RecursiveDelete(String deleteDir, Boolean deleteParent)
    Error: Could not delete path 'X:\FantasyGrounds\FGupdaterEngine' Another program may be accessing this folder, please make sure FantasyGrounds and FGUpdaterEngine are closed and relaunch FantasyGroundsUpdater. If this does not work, please try deleting the folder manually. If this fails, please restart computer and relaunch FantasyGroundsUpdater.
    Everything worked fine after I copied the "new" updater from the folder to the main directory.

Thread Information