FG Spreadshirt Swag

MacOS: Unable to connect to local network game

I've got a MacBook Pro (i9) and an iMac Pro - both running Catalina. The FantasyGrounds build is from 2020-02-19

I am unable to establish a connection to the game server - using a local network connection. I have attempted over Wifi as well as Ethernet. No firewalls are blocking connections.

The client gets stuck at "Attempting direct connection to server [x.x.x.x]". It sits there for 10+ minutes before I cancel the operation. The log file doesn't report much:

[2/24/2020 7:42:31 AM] [NOTICE] Launcher scene starting.
    [2/24/2020 7:44:03 AM] [NOTICE] Attempting direct connection to server. [x.x.x.x:1802]

I have also turned on "Advanced Logging" in settings, but I don't see anything additional being reported in the logs.

I also tried a private/cloud configuration, but that didn't work either.

Is this feature not supposed to be working at this point?

The Advanced Logging option is only for the Updater itself; and doesn't affect logging from the main client.

From all other reports from Mac users, the cloud connection is working. However, we have had a couple reports of people that get errors when running local, due to running Mac at high security levels.
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post476258
    I'm not sure if that's the same issue that you are seeing, because you don't appear to be getting the same errors.

* Are you trying to run the second instance on the same machine, or across two different machines?
    * Can you double-check the IP address you are entering for the server, and turn on Console before pressing Start button to Join Game? (button in upper left corner)
    * How are you trying to connect to the cloud server? (You should be entering user name you want to connect to only.)

Regards,
    JPG

Hi,

I was running the test on 2 different machines. For the purpose of the playtest, is an Ultimate key for FGU necessary to host a game? (I didn't know about the Kickstarter, so I didn't get in, and thus don't have a FGU Ultimate key). It would be good to know if that is the issue so I don't try additional steps to figure this out when it wasn't possible in the first place (that said, nothing has popped up saying I can't host a game either.)

Yes, an Ultimate key is required to host a game. You can not host games with a Free version. I'm actually working on revamping the launcher UI this week to make that more obvious.

Regards,
    JPG

Ok. That explains a lot. I knew in Classic it was required, but thought that maybe it was disabled in FGU for testing.

Oh well.

Thread Information