STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

5E Identifying Magic items

Is there anyway anyway on a item that you can only id part of it at a time? let's say you have a weapon that gives the player a nice bonus and some ability, but also attached to it is when the ability is used then there is some type of curse effect that can happen. This last part i would want hidden from the PC. I have not found a way to basically have an item that could have different tiering of what shows as it is ID; just the un-ID name and then ID with everything shown.

Another example item state I was thinking of would be an item that grows in power over time (i.e. Matt Mercer's type weapons that go through the Dormant/Awakened/Exalted states). This one I am figuring of just making 3 versions of the weapon (one per state) and switch them out after the next tier is unlocked.

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    No. Since the rules as written don't accommodate such a partial identification.

What I do is to make several versions of the item, then give the 'first' or least identified version to the character. Then as they learn more give them the other versions of the item, or just add more description (update), as they learn more.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    No. Since the rules as written don't accommodate such a partial identification.

What I do is to make several versions of the item, then give the 'first' or least identified version to the character. Then as they learn more give them the other versions of the item, or just add more description (update), as they learn more.
    That is what I figured. Was just hoping to avoid having to make multiple versions. I guess it really is not that hard since I can make the fully ID version and then just make a new copy of it and remove each ID level down.

Blog Entries
    Or the idea idea is to make a story entry that is fully detailed, and then you can just update the item as needed. But yea, it's something I run into from time to time.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Doesn't the advanced effects extension provide a DM only option for visible effects, that might work

Quote Originally Posted by Atua View Post
    Doesn't the advanced effects extension provide a DM only option for visible effects, that might work
    i will have to check it out. I have not used that extension yet.

You could create different versions of the same item. Each item would represent a different power levels.
    Ultimate License
    UK Time Zone (GMT/BST)
    DM'ing since 1977 (Basic D&D)

Currently Playing:
    Empire of the Ghouls 5E Campaign
    Tales from the Yawning Portal 5E Campaign
    Rise of the Runelords Pathfinder 1e
    Amazing Adventures 5E Campaign
    "Some are born to move the world, to live their fantasies
    But most of us just dream about the things we'd like to be."
    Rush - Losing It

Currently DM'ing
    Princes of the Apocalypse 5E Campaign
    Waterdeep: Mad Mage 5E Campaign
    The Blight 5E Campaign

I generally use the notes section. Copy/move stuff down as things are discovered. One of my players has a book that is encoded as they spend time decoding it I copy a few lines from the note section to the section they can see. It may be wrong but has worked for me so far.

A
    Last edited by Beemanpat; February 23rd, 2020 at 15:29.

Quote Originally Posted by Atua View Post
    Atua,

I thought I had this extension already but I can't seem to find it; do you have a link to this one so I can check it out?

Quote Originally Posted by Klandare View Post
    Atua,

I thought I had this extension already but I can't seem to find it; do you have a link to this one so I can check it out?
    Here it is https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...cs-characters)

Note that this can only hide effects from the players - not text.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thread Information