Starfinder Playlist

Can we please have it so PC portraits and tokens retain the original image quality.

The quality of PC portraits and tokens currently get terribly downgraded from their originals.

I get the idea of preserving memory, but I can't imagine this level of degradation (if any) is needed for the tokens, particularly for PC images (where realistically you'll only have at the most 4-6 tokens and portraits visible in game).

Everyone will be looking at these for hours on end, so please make them look good!

In the attached example I have open a folder of character tokens I've made myself for players to pick from.

Image '34.jpg' from the portrait list is the one selected for the test PC.
    You can see the level of pixelation and blurring due to lack of quality on the map to the right of the same image after adding it to a PC sheet and dragging that token from the CT.
    I've zoomed in to the point that the images are similar in size for better comparison.

To the right of that are two orc tokens, from NPC entries on the CT, as they appear on Roll20 to show quality of image comparisons.

PC Token.jpg
    Extension writer, FGU Backer, Ultimate License holder.

5E Enhancer (development and support on hold for now)

Combat Enhancer 5E Classic (no longer officially supported, community support only)

ps. Do not send PM's for support for the extensions I write, I will not not be able to respond there. Use the relevant forum threads instead so the community can benefit from the replies, thank you.

Blog Entries
    Make sure you add this to the wishlist and post the link so we can vote.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    The "issue" is that the images in most FG DLC are smaller than what frequently gets provided elsewhere (ie. Roll20). When you take a small image and scale it up, guess what? You get blurry, pixelated images.

Yes, memory has always been a concern for FG Classic as it's a 32-bit app, whereas browser-based solutions (Roll20) are free of that limitation. Even going forward in the short term, it will still be a concern because FGClassic will still be in use for some time, despite FGUnity existing. Until Classic is sunset, it will continue to hold back Unity.

However, it's on the individual DLC Developer to provide the images we use. In my DLC, I almost always provide somewhat larger tokens than is typically recommended, but like most of us, I am not a graphic design professional either.

What size are the portraits you made? Usually portraits are 100x100px and so on a 5' (50px) grid they should be even better quality that the original since they are going to be smaller. At least this is my understanding - also not being a graphic artist.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Portraits always get resized to the size of the "portrait token" allowed for each ruleset. The default is 100x100.

That said, there is a separate issue where the portrait tokens are not being built correctly, which can cause the issue not to be built/scaled correctly in the first place. I think this is more likely what you are seeing. We are currently tracking as task FGU-886 to figure it out.

Regards,
    JPG

Thanks for the replies.

These character portraits use the same dimensions as Roll20 does for medium sized tokens, namely 256x256 pixels in size (just like the Orc tokens in the image). Most are about 50kb in size, so not large at all as far as that goes.

Beyond FGU-866, if the portrait resize is designated by the ruleset, it makes me wonder, is that something I might be able to override in an extension per chance?
    Last edited by StoryWeaver; February 17th, 2020 at 19:48.

Combat Enhancer 5E Classic (no longer officially supported, community support only)

ps. Do not send PM's for support for the extensions I write, I will not not be able to respond there. Use the relevant forum threads instead so the community can benefit from the replies, thank you.

It can already be overriden by extension; but you have to provide your own "portrait" icon assets to match the new size for background/masking/etc. However, I would hold off until the FGU-886 task is resolved; since you'll be looking at two different issues until then.

Regards,
    JPG

That's great news Moon Wizard, thank you! All these customization possibilities with a bit of coding and Photoshop knowledge in FG, keep me excited about the platform to fashion the perfect VTT for me and players needs.

But I'll hold off until after FGU-886 and see how things are then. And revisit it if I want to change it after that, in the form of an extension. Which I imagine I'd make public to give people the choice.

Thread Information