5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
    @Copernicus219,

I'm not sure why your connection is dropping; I've actually had the network library developer look at it too. Neither of us have been able to recreate the dropout. I'm going to try again tomorrow to recreate from my machine.

For additional information:
    * Can you PM me a copy of your traceroute from your machine to noblewhale.com? (which is the developer server for matchmaking services)
    * What is the make/model of your router?
    * What security software / internet filtering / parental control software are you running on your machine/network?

Thanks,
    JPG

Also, does this seem to disconnect only when someone is connecting? If so, can you check your router for flood protection settings. Also, if so, do you happen to be using Xfinity? (which made some interesting changes recently to their routers)

Thanks,
    JPG

Nope, using AT&T fiber.
    just launched and after a few minutes got the error:
    connectionError.jpg

this was with no one connecting.
    Last edited by Copernicus219; February 18th, 2020 at 13:23.

Pace - 5268AC

Quote Originally Posted by Copernicus219 View Post
    I would love to run in FGC, but my router won't let me because of something to do with flood control and port forwarding issues...
    Can you expand on these issues? These may effect FGU as well.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I, too, have these issues on AT&T Fiber, and I have the same router. I used to work for AT&T. They pushed out a firmware update that enabled a bunch of DDOS countermeasures, one of which is "TCP Flood" detection. If it detects too many connections from the same IP address, it drops them and throttles the connection. No way to disable them.

I'm a Network Security engineer by trade, so I set up a Virtual machine in my home network and built an SSH tunnel that my players connect to, then run their game through the tunnel. Because it's encrypted, the router never sees the TCP traffic directly, and does not detect any floods. I'll admit that my solution might be overkill for many people though.

Quote Originally Posted by stewartl42 View Post
    I, too, have these issues on AT&T Fiber, and I have the same router. I used to work for AT&T. They pushed out a firmware update that enabled a bunch of DDOS countermeasures, one of which is "TCP Flood" detection. If it detects too many connections from the same IP address, it drops them and throttles the connection. No way to disable them.

I'm a Network Security engineer by trade, so I set up a Virtual machine in my home network and built an SSH tunnel that my players connect to, then run their game through the tunnel. Because it's encrypted, the router never sees the TCP traffic directly, and does not detect any floods. I'll admit that my solution might be overkill for many people though.
    I had these issues on FGC and was hoping FGU wouldn't run into this because there is no port forwarding, but sounds like that may be the case? The fiber is so good though. I don't understand why I can't just use my own router/modem with ATT. I'm guessing there is something special with a fiber connection? Not sure what I can do, but I'm guessing I won't be the only one with this issue for anyone forced to use shitty routers...

Quote Originally Posted by Copernicus219 View Post
    I had these issues on FGC and was hoping FGU wouldn't run into this because there is no port forwarding, but sounds like that may be the case? The fiber is so good though. I don't understand why I can't just use my own router/modem with ATT. I'm guessing there is something special with a fiber connection? Not sure what I can do, but I'm guessing I won't be the only one with this issue for anyone forced to use shitty routers...

Were you running a Cloud game?

Were you running a Cloud game?
    Yes

For folks who are not savvy to SSH tunnelling, do you have an opinion about which of the commonly recommended alternatives are likely to behave well with flood detection? https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...d-Alternatives

I'd normally recommend Hamachi, but being P2P perhaps that would still be prone to triggering flood detection. PureVPN seems like it would almost certainly work well but not be free.

Thread Information