5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Bug: Occasional severe memory leak on token drop on map.

I've not been able to consistently replicate this issue. It has happened a few times during testing.

Including this happening tonight, the circumstances I remember it happening in. Have been when I already have some tokens on the combat tracker and have a number of modules loaded and a map open. (ps. This time I had the rain effect active on the map, can't remember if I had anything going the last times.)

After I've opened up the NPC's list, and added another one to the CT. Then copied that same new entry a few times. Changing the token with a new token from Assets may be linked to this. (was done this time at least, and seem to recall doing that at some point when this happened before as well)

When I go to add the new entries tokens from the CT onto the map. The first couple or so may work fine, but then it seems like something goes wrong.
    I can see the hand indicating that I'm holding the token and about to drop it, but it never drops onto the map.

The client freezes, and never recovers.

While this is happening I can watch the memory usage spool up continually in a gradual fashion in the device manager.
    Until the physical memory is filled, then it moves on to swapped memory increasing that, until the hard drive is working at 100%.
    Freezing up the whole operating system until I can finally manage to wrench control back after a struggle to closing FGU.

Sorry I can't be more specific. It's one of those elusive situational bugs that I've only seen a few times so far, but each time it's been a critical OS hangup that follows. Sometimes I've managed to turn off FG, at other times a hard physical reboot of the computer has been needed to get back control.
    Last edited by StoryWeaver; February 16th, 2020 at 08:26.
    Extension writer, FGU Backer, Ultimate License holder.

5E Enhancer (development and support on hold for now)

Combat Enhancer 5E Classic (no longer officially supported, community support only)

ps. Do not send PM's for support for the extensions I write, I will not not be able to respond there. Use the relevant forum threads instead so the community can benefit from the replies, thank you.

Not sure if it's the same underlying issue, but I observed a similar behavior today while doing some testing.

Had a few stacked layers of F/X to simulate heavier snow on a map.
    Connected with a secondary client to a host, set up a character on the client account.
    During this I was listening to some music on youtube.

When browsing through portraits on the host and about to open a second folder of portraits after looking at the first, suddenly FGU froze up.
    I checked the the Task Manager and noted that the physical memory was depleted.

I watched 100% HDD memory swapping take place for a few minutes. No response was actionable from FG during this time, and the OS was slowly dropping to its knees. I could hear the music on youtube start to break up more frequently and moving the mouse was a struggle.

I eventually managed to close down the second instance of FGU, this freed up some memory. Eventually the memory swapping on the HDD ended and FGU became responsive again and the OS started behaving normally again.

So perhaps this is related to if the physical memory runs out and how FGU handles HDD memory swapping.

In the first post example physical memory would have already been pushed to the limit, and while not being sure perhaps adding that last token was the last straw that broke the camels back.
    Pushing FGU to doing HDD memory swapping and never recovering.
    Last edited by StoryWeaver; February 17th, 2020 at 14:51.

Combat Enhancer 5E Classic (no longer officially supported, community support only)

ps. Do not send PM's for support for the extensions I write, I will not not be able to respond there. Use the relevant forum threads instead so the community can benefit from the replies, thank you.

ps.
    I should perhaps note the computer specs tested on:

3.3 ghz Intel
    7200 rpm HDD
    8gb physical ram
    GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4gb ram
    Last edited by StoryWeaver; February 17th, 2020 at 20:05.

We may have some questions on your setup and file situation; but it seems more likely related to the token drop.

Just to clarify because I wasn't sure, are you running 2 instances of FGU testing player/GM LOS views? Or just one instance setting up GM stuff? Also, did you have anyone else connected? And, how many tokens are on map roughly when you remember it happening?

Thanks,
    JPG

Of course, if you need any more details let me know.

More file and system details:
    As for the file situation. I have the Windows 10 OS set up on C: drive, with over 70 GB free space, FGU set up on D: drive, with over 250 GB free space. Both 7200 rpm HDD currently. Generally when the OS is up and running I start with about 4GB of free ram.

Setup:
    Most of my tokens are in the 256x256 pixel size at around 50kbps in size.
    Both instances took place on this map: https://i.imgur.com/mCiG8fi.jpg

Part of free maps here: https://www.reddit.com/r/battlemaps/...se_the_kraken/.

First instance:
    On the first occasion mention here, I only had one instance of FGU running to do some D&D 5E DM stuff. In that case I had the rain f/x on the map, and probably around 30-40 tokens all in all, of around 10 different types in all (including players). No line of sight.
    Lots of modules loaded.

Second instance:
    On the second occasion I wanted to test connectivity as well during the D&D 5E DM work. That time I was running two instances of FGU from the same computer. The first one started as a Cloud host server for a game. The second one connected to that Cloud host via the Lobby in FGU. There were no other players connected to my server.
    There was no line of sight active, the rain f/x was active. The client froze after dropping the third copy of the new CT entry token onto the map, making it the 12th or 13th token of 7 different types (including players). The map was shared during the testing.
    A moderate amount of modules loaded.

Earlier instances:
    As for the earlier occasions of this happening, I'm afraid I can't remember the specifics anymore as it's been to long ago.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by StoryWeaver; February 18th, 2020 at 12:57.

Thread Information