FG Spreadshirt Swag

Keep on the Borderlands incomplete?

I just loaded up the module, and was kind of disappointed in the new maps. Definitely thinking I'll use the originals until I can find something better, or there is an update. The Keep map is fine, but the overland maps are bleak to put it mildly. And I've noticed there isn't an updated version of the Guild House - so not sure if that is coming in an update? Was just a little disappointed when opening it and it felt like it was half finished. I've been contemplating purchasing ToEE module, but would like to know if it's in the same shape, or is better fleshed out. Anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by opeth2112 View Post
    I just loaded up the module, and was kind of disappointed in the new maps. Definitely thinking I'll use the originals until I can find something better, or there is an update. The Keep map is fine, but the overland maps are bleak to put it mildly. And I've noticed there isn't an updated version of the Guild House - so not sure if that is coming in an update? Was just a little disappointed when opening it and it felt like it was half finished. I've been contemplating purchasing ToEE module, but would like to know if it's in the same shape, or is better fleshed out. Anyone know?
    I've no plans to re-create the guild map. The original maps are included if you prefer to use those.

The overland (over the caves) includes only the data present on the original map. I didn't feel I had the authority to change that. The regional map is not recreated and is only in it's original form. I only re-created sections that would be used in combat situations. Using the original maps for combat (such as in the dungeons) would have produced a poor VTT experience.

I do not get extra compensation for creating maps for products. I did it for B2 to improve the VTT experience. Otherwise, conversions only typically contain the original versions.

The Temple of Elemental Evil maps are the original that came with the product.

Both of these products have sample views of the maps in their respective product pages if you'd like to get a better idea what's contained.
    Last edited by celestian; February 15th, 2020 at 22:16.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Quote Originally Posted by celestian View Post
    I've no plans to re-create the guild map. The original maps are included if you prefer to use those.

The overland (over the caves) includes only the data present on the original map. I didn't feel I had the authority to change that. The regional map is not recreated and is only in it's original form. I only re-created sections that would be used in combat situations. Using the original maps for combat (such as in the dungeons) would have produced a poor VTT experience.

I do not get extra compensation for creating maps for products. I did it for B2 to improve the VTT experience. Otherwise, conversions only typically contain the original versions.

The Temple of Elemental Evil maps are the original that came with the product.

Both of these products have sample views of the maps in their respective product pages if you'd like to get a better idea what's contained.
    Ah ok - so basically the releases are exactly what would be in the module, and any additional maps are just a bonus option. Didn't mean to **** on the maps you've done or anything, was just surprised and was expecting like for like on the new maps. Thanks for the response.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by opeth2112 View Post
    Ah ok - so basically the releases are exactly what would be in the module, and any additional maps are just a bonus option. Didn't mean to **** on the maps you've done or anything, was just surprised and was expecting like for like on the new maps. Thanks for the response.
    Conversions are pretty much true to the original.
    The Wizards are not releasing a new version - its the old version, on a new medium.

To be fair, WotC did let Goodman Games release a reprint (Basic) and updated B1/B2 for D&D 5e. They also updated the maps for 5e to make them more square but did keep them b&w. Too bad they will never release this in PDF.

https://goodman-games.com/store/prod...e-borderlands/

Quote Originally Posted by Eru the One View Post
    To be fair, WotC did let Goodman Games release a reprint (Basic) and updated B1/B2 for D&D 5e. They also updated the maps for 5e to make them more square but did keep them b&w.
    We can create new maps for these products, we just do not get compensation for it ... or anymore than we would without them. Any maps added to these are "added as a bonus".

There are a lot of maps on DriveThruRPG that can be used with some of these products if someone wants more modern maps. Right now I think that's the best place to browse for newer maps. Also, look at my sig for some maps I've created for my own games to use in your own personal games.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Blog Entries
    DrivethruRPG is a good place, as is straight up Pinterest... lots of quality can be found there for your own personal use.

Map quality will sometimes be a challenge when working with "legacy" content from 40 years ago compared to a product put out in recent times.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

B2 was originally a Basic module, correct? Assuming that to be the case, any suggestions on how to run within the 2e ruleset?

Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    B2 was originally a Basic module, correct? Assuming that to be the case, any suggestions on how to run within the 2e ruleset?
    Load it up and run it

This adventure was converted into FG using the 2E ruleset. The only difference from the original and this conversion is that 2E creatures were used. To the best of my knowledge there was little/no difference in them from the Basic versions used in this adventure. Spells/Powers on casters are also from 2E.
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    If you're asking what's different in the rules, at that level almost nothing. The big differences all come in at higher levels. BECMI has rules for weapon mastery and prestige classes and mass combat/kingdoms that 2e doesn't (these all kick in around level 9 aka "name level"). 2e has the evil-neutral-good alignment system and multiple attacks per round that BECMI doesn't. There are some differences in multiclassing and dual classing. In BECMI demihumans don't get classes in 2e they do. But NPC stats, spells, weapons, spells, Thaco, etc. are all basically the same, especially at the low level.

And as Celestian says, he used 2e rules so what small differences there were are smoothed out even more.

Thread Information