FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Locked in 30FPS?

Hi, I noticed that after an update my FGU was locked in 30 frames per second.

While I can imagine the reasoning behind this, I just want to make sure that it was an intended change and not just an oddity on my end.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr0W View Post
    Hi, I noticed that after an update my FGU was locked in 30 frames per second.

While I can imagine the reasoning behind this, I just want to make sure that it was an intended change and not just an oddity on my end.
    That was intentional.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post475551
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Ah, thanks. I looked for it there, but somehow I just skipped to the last update. My bad.

Yes, the problem was that the default frame rate was uncapped in Unity; which means that lower-end and laptop systems were being swamped trying to pump maximum frame rate. In reality, we really only needed about 30 fps, so we started with that number. We can adjust if we need to, but we'll need to be aware of impact on lower-end systems.

Regards,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    Makes me wonder if Unity allows the support of client side graphics settings...? Maybe each client could configure their own settings for frame rates, color depth...? Don't have any idea if it's possible, but occurred to me

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Probably; but no real need for it. We're not running an environment that needs high frame rates; and that just increases complexity/support considerations.

Cheers,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    Very true.

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Indeed. We do not need very high frame rates, but 30fps seems pretty low to me. I understand that for now that memory usage and optimization are not a priority, once it is I would like very much to have it capped at least on 60fps.
    For now I'd rather run on a low fps than melting one of my player's GPU, but I hope in the future we can get higher (not uncapped) frames per second.

Blog Entries
    Cinema movies are only 24fps (23.9....) and Television is 30fps. Seems sufficient to me

Well, maybe to you, not to me. I noticed it was on 30fps by simply moving a window around, it felt horrible.
    FG Classic runs on 60fps (maybe more? My screen is 60hz, wouldn't know). People paid for an upgrade, not a downgrade. All those shiny effects were part of the deal, and I don't think people will want them on choppy 30 frames per second.

FGC feels smoother. FGU before the update was laggy, but still smooth. Now it's not laggy, but not smooth. I'd rather have it capped on 60fps.

Also: You can't compare movies. Pictures on movies are blurred when taken, so you don't feel it's choppy. For games they got this horrible thing called Motion Blur, to blur the movement so you feel it's less choppy. Also, nowadays movies are recorded on much higher FPS.
    Last edited by Dr0W; February 14th, 2020 at 20:53.

Thread Information