5E Character Create Playlist
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
    Blog Entries
    I updated the part about section 5 just a little bit more. Let me know if this is not clear;
    If you are looking to sell commercial content for FG, you can do so through www.DMsGuild.com (because they already have a license with SmiteWorks) or by reaching an agreement with SmiteWorks.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    If you are looking to sell commercial content for FG, you can do so through www.DMsGuild.com (because they already have a license with SmiteWorks) or by reaching an agreement with SmiteWorks.
    If you are going to include information about the DMsGuild, you really need to give all the information so as not to mislead someone. When you sell content on the DMsG, you lose many of your intellectual property rights and copyrights. It is important to point out the unusual set of conditions in the agreement between Wizards of the Coast, Fantasy Grounds, and the uploaders.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickademus View Post
    If you are going to include information about the DMsGuild, you really need to give all the information so as not to mislead someone. When you sell content on the DMsG, you lose many of your intellectual property rights and copyrights. It is important to point out the unusual set of conditions in the agreement between Wizards of the Coast, Fantasy Grounds, and the uploaders.
    What would you like me to add?

I will say it's is not that you lose (because of the connotations and implications of the phrase), but rather than you enter into a legal agreement in which you gain some rights in exchange for ceding other rights.

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I and Mike Myler could (and would on his part) argue that you lose a lot more than you gain.

Edit: But it is a slightly different beast when talking about FG content.

Blog Entries
    I understand that viewpoint. But I'm trying to keep this post to only presenting facts and not placing value judgments on the various options. At least not in the OP. Discussion about things afterwards can certainly be valuable.

And anyone thinking about selling products, such as on DriveThru RPG, DMSGuild, or even here, is encouraged to also check out this valuable advice though it is pointed at 5e and LE's advise is accurate more broadly:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZCZLDH6_Y&t=7s

What would you like me to add?
    This, literally from the DMsGuild guidelines:
    "the DMs Guild agreement will grant Wizards and other DMs Guild authors a license to use your IP"

With the exception of images, anyone on the DMsGuild can use anything you upload, even if it is in a FG module. That means, for example, that if you upload an adventure as Part 1 of a campaign, someone else can legally make and upload Part 2 of the campaign because it is not your campaign anymore.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickademus View Post
    This, literally from the DMsGuild guidelines:
    "the DMs Guild agreement will grant Wizards and other DMs Guild authors a license to use your IP"

With the exception of images, anyone on the DMsGuild can use anything you upload, even if it is in a FG module. That means, for example, that if you upload an adventure as Part 1 of a campaign, someone else can legally make and upload Part 2 of the campaign because it is not your campaign anymore.
    I created a new paragraph on the DMsGuild. Feel free to comment on it.

For others who want to know more about the DMsG CCA, a quick summary of some of the points;
    - DMsG takes a 50% commission of the sales price
    - You can create content using all the published 5E content (including from other DMsG products) with the following caveats*;
    - - You're product must be in an approved setting (Forgotten Realms, Eberron, etc)
    - - You're product must be substantially new, i.e. no creating compendiums or encyclopedias of other's works
    - - For FG, this means you can include NPCs, Items, Spells, etc from other WotC and DMsG products in your DMsG product.
    - You're product can only be distributed through the DMsG, this means you can not Kickstart, Patreon or otherwise distribute it.

*This means that others can use your content, including building off the ideas you presented. But remember, if another uses your content and their product is not substantially new, then you can have it taken down. 'Substantially new' is not the exact term used by the DMsG, and it is subjective. That said, I do know content has been taken down for violations of this 'rule'.

That'll do.

I created a new paragraph on the DMsGuild. Feel free to comment on it.

For others who want to know more about the DMsG CCA, a quick summary of some of the points;
    - DMsG takes a 50% commission of the sales price
    - You can create content using all the published 5E content (including from other DMsG products) with the following caveats*;
    - - You're product must be in an approved setting (Forgotten Realms, Eberron, etc)
    - - You're product must be substantially new, i.e. no creating compendiums or encyclopedias of other's works
    - - For FG, this means you can include NPCs, Items, Spells, etc from other WotC and DMsG products in your DMsG product.
    - You're product can only be distributed through the DMsG, this means you can not Kickstart, Patreon or otherwise distribute it.

*This means that others can use your content, including building off the ideas you presented. But remember, if another uses your content and their product is not substantially new, then you can have it taken down. 'Substantially new' is not the exact term used by the DMsG, and it is subjective. That said, I do know content has been taken down for violations of this 'rule'.
    As an alternate, you may also publish on DriveThru RPG which has slightly different terms but is available to all game systems and not just D&D:
    DriveThru only takes 30% if you sell exclusively on DriveThru, or 35% if you also sell elsewhere.
    -- The product can be for any setting EXCEPT for those covered by trademark (you explicitly may not use Eberron, Forgotten Realms, Golarion, Kulthea, Primeval Thule, etc.)
    -- The product must be completely new, use public domain content, follow fair use protocols, or have permission from the holder of the copyright to use their content
    -- Kickstarter, Patreon, etc are allowed but they will take the higher 35% because you are not exclusive

-----------------
    -----------------
    My comments on the above: There are a lot of people who don't play D&D but still use Fantasy Grounds, this opens up their options. Also, there are 5e products on DriveThru because the creator wanted to use Kick or Patreon (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/251483/ for example).
    Last edited by GavinRuneblade; July 8th, 2020 at 18:13.

Thread Information