DICE PACKS BUNDLE

LAN Connection Issues

My group has a fun surprise today. Everyone that isn't in the room with me can connect just fine, and the connection test in the launcher succeeds every time, but the one person in the group connecting via LAN can't connect at all. It has worked perfectly fine since October, but suddenly today he couldn't connect.

We're both running Windows 10
    We both just updated and restarted our computers (after the first few failed attempts)
    We both have all our drivers updated
    We are using one of the Xfinity gateways with that terrible "advanced security" nonsense, which is completely disabled.
    I have an ultimate license, he has the demo client
    All of the other players can connect just fine, only the LAN connection is giving us trouble
    He is connecting to my local IP, but we tried the external IP too just in case. Both fail

What else can we try?

edit: I use the default port 1802, while he uses 1803, though I don't know if that does anything for local connections
    You can find my work for D&D 5th Edition on the DMs Guild.

Quote Originally Posted by Caelen View Post
    edit: I use the default port 1802, while he uses 1803, though I don't know if that does anything for local connections
    How is the player using port 1802? Does he start FG with a command line argument to change the port to 1803? If so, then that's the issue - he'll need to start FG without the command line argument so that he tries to connect on port 1802 (the default).
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

The player is using 1803 with the command line argument. I'm hosting on 1802. Back in October when we got it working, we had to do this or he couldn't connect to anything, local or not, because we also had to forward 1802 to my computer for all of the other players to connect to me.

The connection just started working again though. We didn't change anything else. It just works again.

Blog Entries
    That's not the way ports work. The player will need to be running FG on the same port as the host (1802). Otherwise the player is trying to connect to a server that it thinks is listening on port 1803, which your computer is not, it's listening on port 1802.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Well, we figured out what was going on. He had two shortcuts. One was set to go to 1803, the other was left on default 1802. The 1803 one was the one that didn't work! I blame comcast for their xfinity "advanced security" causing the problem in the first place. I think we had tried the port change before we found out that the xfinity nonsense had to be turned off, and we forgot to undo it. Thanks for getting us to triple check :3

Blog Entries
    Yea, success! Happy gaming and thanks for letting us know the resolution.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information