DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

named connection error/freeze with v4.0.0 update

I did not see this listed in any of the Known Issues or posted as a bug, apologies if this is a duplicate and I missed where it had been stated.

Yesterday (2/5) while hosting a cloud server instance, tried having players login to the campaign and the players kept running into an issue. It was odd that the campaign instance could would seem to allow two players (once or twice three players) to join and then the remaining players would encounter the same issue.

The players would get caught on a screen stating "Attempting named connection to server [rzemlicka]"

They could cancel out of this but retrying would just result in getting hung up on that screen again and anyone else trying then saw the same screen. The only way we moved past that, is if I (the host) quit out of Fantasy Grounds and re-started but then it resulted in the same issue the first two players connecting and the remainder hitting the same screen and getting stuck. I did not test creating a new campaign.

The ruleset being used is the Pathfinder 2 ruleset. The campaign was created in FGU.

No community extensions are installed.

The host computer was a Mac, running the latest version of MacOS.
    The players were running Macs (3) and PCs (2). Unsure of the OS and version of the players computers.

Hope that information helps.

- Roy

Were all of the players using the demo client? Had all of the players with demo clients registered on the forums and entered their usernames and passwords in settings?
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

All players were using the demo client that was shared via the January 8, 2020 post (Demo Client Testing (Not Live Play)) to the forums.
    All players had used the updater that evening.
    To the best of my knowledge they were all using their usernames and passwords in the settings. (I actually am unsure how they would log-in without a username and password, hence the "to the best of my knowledge" caveat.)

Roy

Blog Entries
    Who is the ISP for the GM? There have been security changes by Xfinity and Comcast recently and I have seen this issue with another GM that might be related.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

The ISP for the GM (me) is Xfinity.
    Unsure about the players ISPs, but given the size of Xfinity/Comcast - I would guess one or more players are also using Xfinity.

Blog Entries
    Checkout this thread, see if the security settings on that account page or such help. Maybe the enhanced security is limiting you to 2 incoming connections.
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-XFinity-Users

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thanks for the pointer, I will check that out...or I will have "IT" (the spouse) check that out.
    Also to note - we were testing two weeks ago and all players were able to connect without problem, so it does line up if the ISP just implemented recent changes.

As always, many thanks for all the input/insight and help troubleshooting.

Also, can you see if it was always the "third" player connecting, or always the "same" user connecting, that was the problem? It will help us narrow down the situation.

Thanks,
    JPG

Short answer: it wasn't always the third player

Longer rambler answer: The session was about an hour and a half and the connection problem was occurring throughout. The two Windows players both encountered a hiccup with the updater that corrupted the updater and required them both to do a complete re-install. One of the Windows people switched over to a Mac. The first attempt to get everyone on, three Mac people were able to get into the game, one of the PC people was encountering the "named connection" attempt screen, other PC user was resolving the updater issue, then had the "named connection" error. I (the GM) then booted everyone from the game as we were wondering if this was an issue on my end, everyone tried re-connecting, four Mac players were able to get on, although two of them said they saw the "named connection" attempt screen but canceled and tried again and after an unknown number of tries were able to connect. The Windows player tried and got stuck on the "named connection" attempt screen, rebooted their machine tried again and was able to connect after multiple "cancel"s when hanging on the "named connection" screen. We then briefly, maybe 15 - 20 minutes had five players and the GM, then Fantasy Grounds Unity kicked out all the players. From the GM side the application remained running but all players were disconnected. When the players re-attempted, two Mac users were able to connect, one saying they saw the "named connection" attempt screen and canceled once. The third Mac player was now encountering the "named connection" attempt screen and canceling and re-trying, that player finally did connect after multiple attempts. The other two players (one Mac and one Windows) encountered the "named connection" attempt screen and were never able to get past it. At that point as it had been 90 minutes of trying to use the system but only 20-ish minutes of everyone connected, I called it and said I would file a bug report (since two weeks prior we had all connected without issue). Which brings the story to this thread. And end long rambling version.

Let me know if there are specifics you would like me to try and dig up.
    Thanks for looking into this - much appreciated.

Can you have them open the console window next time, before they hit the Start button? The console window will give some input on where the connection process is getting hung at. (It's also stored in the console.log file in the FGU data folder; but gets cleared each time FGU is started.)

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information