5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

If you want a secure VPN, use OpenVPN and build your own, which is what I do for security. :-)

I don't worry too much about security for my online games, however. I operate them outside of VPNs.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Be aware that not *every* VPN solution will work for Fantasy Grounds. A lot of VPNs don't provide unique public facing IP addresses and so we're back to the same issue that the OP had. For example, I used to use HMA a lot - but 2-3 years ago they started sharing public IP addresses and it would no longer work for GMing using Fantasy Grounds. The only one that has been tried and tested by a bunch of FG users is PureVPN with the dedicated IP address add on. Does this mean that PureVPN is the only one? No, it means that this is the VPN provider we *know* works for GMing with Fantasy Grounds.
    Yeah, sorry - I didn't meant to imply that *any* VPN will do. Big/well-known alternatives to PureVPN that do offer port forwarding (and which I've tested with FG) include PrivateInternetAccess and Mullvad, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Arguments recommending VPNs for security always make me laugh.
    Even PureVPN which is a pretty big player in that space is owned by a Hong Kong company.
    Now while they have been audited in the past and certified log free there is nothing to stop that changing in the future.
    Most VPN companies are very opaque and you have little knowledge or assurance as to what info they might be collecting or keeping about you and your activities.
    I agree with this - in fact, that's why I used the word 'trust'. At the end of the day, you can't be certain whether your VPN provider adheres to their own ToS and privacy policies. VPN services overall are a pretty sketchy business, and plenty of 'known quantities' have failed their users in some way (take HMA, NordVPN for example). However, I honestly don't think I'd ever be online without a VPN in the US, simply because ISPs are legally allowed to monetize your metadata, and I'd trust certain VPN providers more than an ISP which I *know* violates my privacy to squeeze out an extra buck.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Now Im not advocating that Hamachi is a better option in this regard.
    They are a US based publicly traded company worth $4billion as at today.
    Now being US has potential downsides too - they may be required to Log your activity to some extent.
    But they are definitely less likely to a bad actor than a VPN service operated out of a foreign jurisdiction...
    At least that is my opinion...
    I fail to see how foreign VPNs are inherently more likely to be a bad actor. EU countries as well as Switzerland have rather strong privacy and customer protection laws. Of course, if you're thinking about providers with unclear ownership structures, based in some banana republic, I'm inclined to agree.

For my use case, I want a VPN to a) shield me when I'm using hot spots/WiFi and b) help with stuff like hosting FG. I'm not shielding myself from government agencies, so the question of jurisdiction is a secondary consideration.
    I simply expect my VPN to not aggregate and exploit/sell my (meta-)data. I trust Mullvad VPN (as an example of a very clear privacy policy) to provide that service much more so than I trust LogMeIn/Hamachi. This goes double since Hamachi is a freemium service; they're going to monetize my use of their product somehow, and I don't think their shareholders are content with the abstract possibility that I may end using the premium product some day.

And now you know my opinion Anyway, I'm quite glad FGU will put a lot of these port-forwarding issues to rest. Really seems to be the single biggest entry barrier/technical annoyance users are facing.

So a friend set me up with openVPN, and I am using that to use his IP address. It works and all..I'm in on his VPN, but I am still unable to have anyone connect. Upon attempting it gives:

Script Error: [string ""]: 1 attempt to set a value for an invalid handler 'onLockChanged'

Fantasy Grounds uses TCP, but the openVPN evidently is going over udp. I assume this is the error? This is one of those VPN services that won't help the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by RuleofThree View Post
    Script Error: [string ""]: 1 attempt to set a value for an invalid handler 'onLockChanged'
    That error has nothing to do with a VPN, that is a ruleset error - more than likely the ruleset being used needs to be updated. For example, see this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...th-custom-skin

When do you get that error? When you start a campaign yourself, when you join another campaign?

So a friend set me up with openVPN, and I am using that to use his IP address. It works and all..I'm in on his VPN, but I am still unable to have anyone connect.
    I'm confused what the setup is here. You're using OpenVPN to tunnel into your friend's network and use his IP address? And then you're trying to get people to connect to you?
    Last edited by Trenloe; February 7th, 2020 at 15:19.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

More or less, that is it, as I underestand it. I connect through openVPN to his public IP address, and attempt to hose the game through his IP, since his is one that doesn't have to jump through so many hoops to get an outside connection, as mine does. The OpenVPN serves has a public IP address

More or less, that is it, as I underestand it. I connect through openVPN to his public IP address, and attempt to hose the game through his IP, since his is one that doesn't have to jump through so many hoops to get an outside connection, as mine does. The OpenVPN serves has a public IP address
    So has your friend setup port forwarding for TCP Port 1802 to go from their public IP address, through the VPN to your computer's IP address?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Yes
    This is not a usual setup, so I hope your friend really knows what they're doing (really, really, knows) and has set it up correctly. Has your friend has tested this? Can they reach TCP port 1802 on your computer, via the VPN, when you have FG open with a campaign waiting for players to connect?

And, before they setup this VPN and port forwarding through the VPN, could they could host a FG campaign OK? That is, we know that their setup (without a VPN) is known to work?

Alright so attempting through my friends openVPN doesn't work. Either him hosting the game, or me hosting has all failed. So I have moved to your suggestion of pureVPN. Even there, I obtain failure, a tracert shows that I'm not hopping through so many private networks anymore. So Am I not setting this up right? Your post here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...warding-issues suggests I don't even need the port forwarding add on, as 'This allows you to use FG without having to mess around with port forwarding and also where port forwarding is not possible.' Mode is selected to Internet Freedom, Network Type Automatic Multi Port activated.

Tracert:
    No go.PNG
    Last edited by RuleofThree; February 7th, 2020 at 17:00.

Your post here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...warding-issues suggests I don't even need the port forwarding add on, as 'This allows you to use FG without having to mess around with port forwarding and also where port forwarding is not possible.'
    Correct, you don't need the port forwarding option, but you do need the dedicated IP address add on. Hence why I said in my recommendation earlier in this thread: "Note: you will need the dedicated IP address add on, only this add on, you don't need anything else."

And, note that the post you quote is 6 years old, there was not a port forwarding option in PureVPN then. So I'd recommend you take more up-to-date comments and recommendations into account - which, again, is why I specifically mentioned the one PureVPN add on you need in this very thread.

Thread Information