STAR TREK 2d20

Thread: Token Scaling

Token Scaling

Hello everyone,
    Have just dived into FG with an eye towards Rolemaster and have been messing about making maps, testing combat etc. But one thing I have struck that I don't seem to be able to figure out or find out any information about is token scaling for RM encounters.
    I can make make an encounter, place creatures on the map fine but the tokens are always the same size. If I adjust them (control + mousewheel) and then reload the encounter the token scale has reverted back.
    Does the RM rule set allow for this with creatures of different sizes? Or have I been trying to do something that is not possible or am I missing a crucial step?

Thanks in advance!

Blog Entries
    Are you putting a grid on your maps first?
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Hi JohnD, yep maps all gridded up. It sounds like it should be possible to have FG do this in RM? The main thing was I didn't want to spend hours more trying to get it to do something that it couldn't.
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I remember being able to make it work, but it has been a really long time since I've spent much time with the ruleset. Hopefully that will change in the future, and hopefully someone else will be able to help you out.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Thanks.
    A bit more info for any other folks out there - had a bit more of a mess around and can get it to work fine in a 5e campaign, however when I go to do the same in RM I notice that the internal red square(s) for hostile (or any faction for that matter) tokens is always just one square. If i scale it up the token increases but it still remains only 1 red square in the center. If i create a new creature and set its size to huge or use an existing huge creature that red area remains 1 square. In 5e when i did the same and the number of red squares increased to 4 for an aboleth and prolly more for something bigger (cant remember how many but definitely >1!).
    There is a size field for RM creatures/npcs but it does not seem to be having any influence. Have I potentially missed a setting somewhere that could be nullifying this?

Hi Addo,

Unfortunately, the current version of the Rolemaster ruleset doesn't do the autoscaling that the CoreRPG rulesets like 5E do. I am actually working on the CoreRPG version of the Rolemaster ruleset and have the autoscaling working based on the creatures size and it can be manipulated in the Combat Tracker if you want to change it. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
    Dakadin
    Rolemaster Classic for FG Wish List - http://rm4fg.idea.informer.com/

Thanks Dakadin,
    By the sounds of it we can look forward to autoscaling at some point in the future - in FG Unity I assume? Is the manipulating size via the combat tracker also coming in the future or is that something we can already do?

Cheers

It isn't related to the FG Unity release but you will get autoscaling at some point in the future. Here's an example of a Huge creature, I just dragged the Old Fire Drake from the Combat Tracker and it automatically figured out the size and reach based on the size:
    RMC NPC Scaling.png

I am pushing really hard to get it completed before Unity is released. I still have a lot to clean up before it will be ready but it is coming along really well so far.
    Rolemaster Classic for FG Wish List - http://rm4fg.idea.informer.com/

Thanks,
    I look forward to the update.

You can still use locked token scaling - see the paragraph starting "In older rulesets..." here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...Tokens#Scaling

This does rely on the token pixel sizes being similarly sized. But it can be a good quick size to get you close to what you need, then manually size any that need adjusting.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information