DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Has anyone hunted down this link?

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...252-how-to-fix

It talks about how to add support to .NET Core for the 1252 encoding. Instead of editing all the existing mods and removing many of the often used characters, can we not simply fix the limitation on .NET. I mean Faerūn looks so much nicer than Faerun. And of course there are so many more examples that help beautify mods.

I actually looked at some similar articles. However, those libraries did not appear to be available when I tried to add them to Unity. Unity does not use .Net Core as far as I can tell.

Regards,
    JPG

Ok it seemed like a crossplatform .NET issue. The only crossplatform .NET support is with .NET core. So this is really more a unity limitation?

Here is a unity solution that has seemed to make the rounds.

https://answers.unity.com/questions/...supported.html

Maybe you already saw it.

Just to confirm this is an issue with Starfinder AP Attack of the Swarm: AP1 as well.

Edited: Only have access to AP1 for Attack of the Swarm
    Last edited by Fargen; February 17th, 2020 at 21:41.

@brustmlj,
    That solution will be problematic; since any sort of special post-processing steps will cause challenges with our current post-processing steps as well as our future plans with IL2CPP. In actuality, the reality is that the data is encoded incorrectly, which causes the issue. Fixing the way we've been doing will fix in both.

@Fargen,
    When reporting specific issues, please include the exact modules that you are seeing issues. (i.e. all the Swarm AP modules, some of them, one of them?)

Thanks,
    JPG

I accept that the encoding does not match iso-8859-1. However, iso-8859-1 is an extremely old, outdated and limiting encoding. The fact is the FGC did in fact support encoding beyond the limits of iso-8859-1. Saying that FGU must stay with iso-8859-1 when FGC in fact supported beyond is the struggle. And doing a lot of work to strip meaningful characters from existing products means that that encoding will be lost forever. Once the limitations of iso-8859-1 are removed and FGC is retired (years? I would guess) no one will go back and add the more meaningful encodings.

So in reality we are losing things with FGU instead of gaining.

I have created over 300 personal mods and I admit I have taken advantage of the encoding loophole in FGC to create better looking text which better matches the source products. I guess I am going to update by build process to build in a translation to removed those encodings over 127. I am doing this without removing the original source with enhanced encodings. I hope you guys do something similar so as not to simply loose the enhanced data. That would be sad.

And just pushed updates to all Attack of the Swarm AP modules. They all needed some love.

JPG

Blog Entries
    And to continue with my harping on the subject, since FGC appears to have "ignored" the ISO-8859-1 and snuck in the Windows 1252 encoding all along, does it in fact "give a crap" what encoding we use? If it isn't enforcing anything, then wouldn't you be able to just allow it in FGU (this is assuming you find a cross-platform library, natch) and FGC will just behave like it's behaved all along?

Thread Information