STAR TREK 2d20

Monstrous powers, immunity, special defenses, etc.

Hi, Celestian,

I'm inserting several monsters taken from the Forgotten realms Monstrous Compendium and would like to ask you if there is a guide I know how to translate some values in the creature's tab.

For example, the Aballin can only be hit by +1 weapons, immune to slashing weapons (and this I entered [IMMUNE:slashing] ) and has the ability to drown its victims.

How should this power be inserted in the tab?

Many thanks for your help.

Edit: I'm also adding items from Magic Encyclopedia. Can i have a suggestion about about adding powers to magic items? If there is a wiki about this, it should be great!!!
    In Item tab, if i choose ring as type, i have a "properties" field... What info do i must fill inside this field?
    Last edited by graziano.girelli; January 19th, 2020 at 16:55.

Quote Originally Posted by graziano.girelli View Post
    Hi, Celestian,

I'm inserting several monsters taken from the Forgotten realms Monstrous Compendium and would like to ask you if there is a guide I know how to translate some values in the creature's tab.

For example, the Aballin can only be hit by +1 weapons, immune to slashing weapons (and this I entered [IMMUNE:slashing] ) and has the ability to drown its victims.

How should this power be inserted in the tab?

Many thanks for your help.

Edit: I'm also adding items from Magic Encyclopedia. Can i have a suggestion about about adding powers to magic items? If there is a wiki about this, it should be great!!!
    In Item tab, if i choose ring as type, i have a "properties" field... What info do i must fill inside this field?
    Your effect to make them immune to slashing is correct. Add an additional effect of "IMMUNE: piercing,bludgeoning,!magic". That will also make them immune to pierce/bludgeoning weapons that are not magic.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Blog Entries
    This brings another question to mind; does the ability to differentiate between levels of magic exist? Say something needs +2 or better to be hurt; so it would be immune to normal and +1 weapons.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by celestian View Post
    Your effect to make them immune to slashing is correct. Add an additional effect of "IMMUNE: piercing,bludgeoning,!magic". That will also make them immune to pierce/bludgeoning weapons that are not magic.
    Thanks!
    May i refer to this page for sintax of the effects: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...hp/5E_Effects?
    Or is there another source to use, for monsters and/or items?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    This brings another question to mind; does the ability to differentiate between levels of magic exist? Say something needs +2 or better to be hurt; so it would be immune to normal and +1 weapons.
    Yes, tho it gets a bit more complicated with that.

IMMUNE:slashing,piercing,bludgeoning,!magic +3,!magic +4,!magic +5

That would make them immune to all but +3 and above weapons. The damage type from the weapon would need to be something like "slashing,magic +3"

Using !magic is the same as using !magic +1.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Thanks for the help.
    I just finish to create the treasure generator tables, exactly as reported in DM GUIDE.
    Now, slowly, i will add all the items. In the tables description, in magic items, there are all the Encyclopedia Magica items (only names, not all the infos). Day by day i will add all items so i can link them to the tables, and so when i need to create a treasure after killing a monster... well, i will have everything in parcels.

Quote Originally Posted by celestian View Post
    Yes, tho it gets a bit more complicated with that.

IMMUNE:slashing,piercing,bludgeoning,!magic +3,!magic +4,!magic +5

That would make them immune to all but +3 and above weapons. The damage type from the weapon would need to be something like "slashing,magic +3"

Using !magic is the same as using !magic +1.
    Where does this code go? I tried placing this under the damage immunity field. That blocks ALL magic weapons (not just below +3). I also tried creating a custom effect, and a trait with this in the description. None of those prevents any damage.

Are you testing it in the combat tracker? Many effects only work on rolls made on targets in the combat tracker (by another combatant in the combat tracker). I put the effect string in the "Effect Features" area on the main tab underneath saving throws.

Quote Originally Posted by lousilver View Post
    Where does this code go? I tried placing this under the damage immunity field. That blocks ALL magic weapons (not just below +3). I also tried creating a custom effect, and a trait with this in the description. None of those prevents any damage.
    That is an effect string. It goes in the effect.
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by EOTB View Post
    Are you testing it in the combat tracker? Many effects only work on rolls made on targets in the combat tracker (by another combatant in the combat tracker). I put the effect string in the "Effect Features" area on the main tab underneath saving throws.
    Hi,

I have been testing through the combat tracker. Here I've attached a screenshot of the chat log showing the custom effect I made using the code provided, ascribed to a NPC. I also have a PC in the tracker with some shortswords (nonmagical, +1, +2...). As you can see, they all do damage.

Also, is there no way to enter this in the NPC sheet rather than as an effect so that you don't have to apply the effects on top of the encounter?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information