STAR TREK 2d20
    So while entering Far Horizons I noticed that there seemed to more than usual duplicates in talents at least. I know some people find this a problem. A way that could reduce duplicates would be to allow for multiple source be entered in one record and still be able to filter by source. Perhaps designate a comma to separate the sources. For instance:

Source: Far Horizons, Fly Casual

Would that be possible?

Quote Originally Posted by sevrick View Post
    So while entering Far Horizons I noticed that there seemed to more than usual duplicates in talents at least. I know some people find this a problem. A way that could reduce duplicates would be to allow for multiple source be entered in one record and still be able to filter by source. Perhaps designate a comma to separate the sources. For instance:

Source: Far Horizons, Fly Casual

Would that be possible?
    I need to think about this.
    There are definitelly multiple ways to do it, but my concern is that backup/restore uses the Source and Source Page as a means to identify the item.

So I have some ideas:

1) Add a "+" button, allowing for more sources. This would add more lines to enter source + page, you could add as many as needed.
    2) We remove page, keep only Source... make it comman separated... But for this, I will need to create another upgrade code for this field, and it will also add complexity to the backup/restore code. Possible though I will need to think how to code this so it will not invalidade any descriptions people are entering.
    3) Similar to 2, but you would enter Source (page). You could do comma separated: Source 1 (page), Source 2 (page). I will still have to work on the upgrade abnd backup code like item 2

Items 2 and 3 all depends on what you think if we really need page, or if we only keep the source.

Let me know what you think

Although it is a bit more work, I feel like 2 or 3 are better than solution 1. Maybe I will even be able to add a filter to the database windows, so people could enter something like "fly casual" and it would filter (this i still dont know if it is possible, but i would like to try)

EDIT:
    In the end, 2 and 3 are the same... I believe the important thing would be for you to decide on a standard of entering data.

So here is what I can do:

- I could create an upgrade routine for the database, that would pickup all data you already entered, and convert today's separate fields Source and Sourge page into: "Source (source page)". This is quite easy.

- I then change the backup/restore code, make it a bit smarter:
    Today it looks for "item name" + "source" + "page" to match in a character/npc sheet. I would change that code, so it would search for "item name" + "any matching source"
    For example, lets say that a character has an item "blaster" + "age of rebellion (120)" currently... the restore code will search for an item with the same name, plus with the source that CONTAINS "age of rebellion"... finding a match, it restores the description

I think this is not complicated to achieve in the code, i will take a look.

This will allow you to type in the Source field, comma separated sources, with or without page (your choice)

For now, do not edit anything comma separated though... lets agree on the solution... i will update the rulesets. After that you would download it... open your campaigns with it (which would convert them) and then you would be able to do that.
    Last edited by johniba; October 9th, 2021 at 18:58.

Hey Johniba, thanks again for the updates, looks like things are loading much faster now, my party approves! Still running Classic and still getting the strange symbols popping up in story entries and elsewhere. Hoping there is a quick fix but if not I'll just deal. Thanks again for all your doing on this!

Quote Originally Posted by Xarax View Post
    Hey Johniba, thanks again for the updates, looks like things are loading much faster now, my party approves! Still running Classic and still getting the strange symbols popping up in story entries and elsewhere. Hoping there is a quick fix but if not I'll just deal. Thanks again for all your doing on this!
    Hey Xarax.
    Try to see if you can find a way to reproduce the steps to cause that issue with the characters, and I will see that I fix it, ok?

After our talk over discord, and seeing how you are editing your campaign descriptions/author in FGU, and using it in FGC, I checked the code.
    I remembered that FGU and FGC handle international code differently in the xml file. They are written differently.
    The special symbols for genesys/star wars are basically "international" characters. They sit in the TTF font in spots where normally some accented international char would be.

Since FGC and FGU handle these differently, maybe that could be the issue, but at the same time, that would mean you would see that problem more consistently (as in you would see if with every code, not just a few places)

Anyway, see if you can reproduce the issue, and let me know

Maybe if possible, choose FGC or FGU and stick with one (what i mean is: do not move campaign data/modules too much between fgu/fgc) and see if the problem persists

Quote Originally Posted by johniba View Post
    I need to think about this.
    There are definitelly multiple ways to do it, but my concern is that backup/restore uses the Source and Source Page as a means to identify the item.

So I have some ideas:

1) Add a "+" button, allowing for more sources. This would add more lines to enter source + page, you could add as many as needed.
    2) We remove page, keep only Source... make it comman separated... But for this, I will need to create another upgrade code for this field, and it will also add complexity to the backup/restore code. Possible though I will need to think how to code this so it will not invalidade any descriptions people are entering.
    3) Similar to 2, but you would enter Source (page). You could do comma separated: Source 1 (page), Source 2 (page). I will still have to work on the upgrade abnd backup code like item 2

Items 2 and 3 all depends on what you think if we really need page, or if we only keep the source.

Let me know what you think

Although it is a bit more work, I feel like 2 or 3 are better than solution 1. Maybe I will even be able to add a filter to the database windows, so people could enter something like "fly casual" and it would filter (this i still dont know if it is possible, but i would like to try)

EDIT:
    In the end, 2 and 3 are the same... I believe the important thing would be for you to decide on a standard of entering data.

So here is what I can do:

- I could create an upgrade routine for the database, that would pickup all data you already entered, and convert today's separate fields Source and Sourge page into: "Source (source page)". This is quite easy.

- I then change the backup/restore code, make it a bit smarter:
    Today it looks for "item name" + "source" + "page" to match in a character/npc sheet. I would change that code, so it would search for "item name" + "any matching source"
    For example, lets say that a character has an item "blaster" + "age of rebellion (120)" currently... the restore code will search for an item with the same name, plus with the source that CONTAINS "age of rebellion"... finding a match, it restores the description

I think this is not complicated to achieve in the code, i will take a look.

This will allow you to type in the Source field, comma separated sources, with or without page (your choice)

For now, do not edit anything comma separated though... lets agree on the solution... i will update the rulesets. After that you would download it... open your campaigns with it (which would convert them) and then you would be able to do that.
    Sounds good whatever you feel you are able to do. I will for now just enter them as I have always done.

Edit: Just realized if you went with the commas separating them how would you add page numbers? Since they are unlikely to share the same page number. You may have to go with option 1.
    Last edited by sevrick; October 9th, 2021 at 22:15.

Quote Originally Posted by sevrick View Post
    Edit: Just realized if you went with the commas separating them how would you add page numbers? Since they are unlikely to share the same page number. You may have to go with option 1.
    You can do something like this:

Age of Rebellion Core (121), Fly Casual (98)

I will make sure the backup/restore function uses only the names (like Age of Rebelliion Core, Fly Casual) and ignore the () numbers
    I will make the upgrade process convert the existing entries

I think I can get this ready by tomorrow, and i can explain better how to use it

Silly question: how do I export my custom library WITH descriptions using Author now?

Quote Originally Posted by Xarax View Post
    Silly question: how do I export my custom library WITH descriptions using Author now?
    You just do /export
    In the export window, make sure to check the descriptions checkbox.

Any records that exist in your campaign will be fully exported with descriptions.

Remember though: records that exist in your campaign are fully exported.

The only time you need to think about the Backup Descriptions database is if you added descriptions to records that belong to libraries you opened (for that check the video tutorial)

Quote Originally Posted by johniba View Post
    You just do /export
    In the export window, make sure to check the descriptions checkbox.

Any records that exist in your campaign will be fully exported with descriptions.
    Was checking the wrong include descriptions button. I am shamed.

About the other libraries

So I wanted to make you guys aware of what plans I was thinking to do as far as the libraries that don't go into one of the 3 current libraries.

For Adversaries and Allies, Starships and Speeders, and Gadgets and gear. I could go one of two ways.

1. 1st I could lump all 3 of them into one module.
    2. Or I could make each one their own library.

For the 2 clone wars era books I intend to make both books apart of one library. I mean these 2 go together naturally.

For the adventure modules I plan on making them have their own individual library. I did for a brief moment think about adding all the adventures together but, no one is going to need two different adventures in the same library.

Lastly the setting era books. I haven't realy come up with a solution. Put them all together would make it kinda of like a galaxy Encyclopedia. But then again people might just want them seperate to avoid clutter.

So let me know what you think and your vote for option 1 or 2. I was planning on option 1, but wanted to get a consensus from everyone. Also if you have any other ideas I am open to them.
    Last edited by sevrick; October 11th, 2021 at 19:24.

Thread Information