5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb What Would the Ideal LFG Platform Look Like?

From time to time the topic of the existing method of finding games and connecting players comes up. Usually in regards to dissatisfaction with the current Game Calendar and Sub-Forum method. The intent of this thread is to discuss what we, the FG Community, feel would be the best solution for a new platform. (Understanding that SmiteWorks always has the option to use their own judgement on what they implement, and that they have made no commitment to making any changes to the current methods.)

So let's discuss what you would like to see, what you think works well, and what doesn't. That way their is a place for future reference and continued discussion.

As a starting point, here's my views on what a LFG system should contain;
    1. Listings needs an 'ageing' system. Such that old listing are not included or are de-prioritized in the listings. GM's need a way to (monthly or quarterly indicates their games are still active and listed). Maybe a default 90 day listing that then must be renewed.
    2. Any game calendar or listing system needs to take the viewers time zone into consideration (if they are logged in), or provide a bold warning they are not logged in or their time zone is not set and therefore listing are at a default (UTC?) time zone.
    3. Ability for listings without yet a defined day or time to indicate this. Either multiple days, preferred days, or time ranges.
    4. An indication and ability to search/filter based upon;
      1. Date listing was created
      2. Last log in by the GM
      3. Ruleset/Game System
      4. day of the week (adjusted for time zone)
      5. time of day range (adjusted for time zone)
      6. new or ongoing campaign
      7. frequency (ranges)
      8. expected duration (ranges)
      9. player license required
      10. Free or pay to play
      11. Name / Adventure
      12. Organized Play Group (Adventurer's league, PFS, FG-Con, etc)
      13. Streamed
      14. Audio/Video/Chat (text)

5. Each listing should contain fields for all of the above plus description, notes, current applicants and status, other applications needed (i.e. for voice/video)

Now, one other thing I think that is vital to keep in mind is the environment any such system might foster. One of the prominent complaints I hear about such systems is that players feel like they have to apply to 100 games and never get feedback. Or that applications that some GMs demand are extensive and tedious. And of course, some GMs complain that they get so many applicants for every position they have to make long application forms to weed out the people who don't read or might not get invested in their games.

I don't know how to solve any of those cultural problems, but I think it's important we keep such issues in mind because we do not want our community to become a place people feel frustrated with.

Lets discuss.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

A dumb question LFG = Looking For Game
    Or those options makes a new calendar to mark games?

You have a good list of campaign details listed. Perhaps it would work if it mimicked how penandpapergames.com hooks up gamers with GM’s.

A FG forum user would set up their gaming criteria profile and set a flag for – looking for a game. The preferences would include your list of criteria outlined here.

When a GM sets their game using that criteria the system would return a list of gamers ranked with a x% or higher hit rate. The system would also message the gamer that a game matching x% of their criteria has been posted. Then let the GM and gamers sync up on the details.
    Currently GMing:
    * The Haunted Highlands - Castles & Crusades

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by yako2020 View Post
    A dumb question LFG = Looking For Game
    Or those options makes a new calendar to mark games?
    Yes, generally LFG is Looking for Game, and that's how it's used in this post

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lexfire View Post
    You have a good list of campaign details listed. Perhaps it would work if it mimicked how penandpapergames.com hooks up gamers with GM’s.

A FG forum user would set up their gaming criteria profile and set a flag for – looking for a game. The preferences would include your list of criteria outlined here.

When a GM sets their game using that criteria the system would return a list of gamers ranked with a x% or higher hit rate. The system would also message the gamer that a game matching x% of their criteria has been posted. Then let the GM and gamers sync up on the details.
    I like this, though I think the player side would also need some sort of aging criteria. A GM wouldn't want a list of people that haven't been active for a year or more etc.

Agree on aging - make the flag reset to active mandatory every x-days (30 days) for the player otherwise it gets set to off.
    Currently GMing:
    * The Haunted Highlands - Castles & Crusades

16. Application process: (e.g. interview, long form + interview, first come, etc.)
    17. Requirements: (working microphone, webcam, etc.)

Additionally, should have the ability to indicate applicants, rejection count, feedback to/from GM on application, personal blacklist (auto rejects players that are rejected for reason, such as never responds after applying, rude to others, etc.)
    aka Laendra

(Discord: Laendra#9660)
    Ultimate license (FGC/FGU)
    Current Timezone : Central (CDT) (GMT -5)
    OP: 3317036507 / 2369539

My opinions are my own and represent no entity other than myself

Extension Support Discord: https://discord.gg/gKgC7nGpZK

Extensions = risk to your gaming experience. If you haven't tested out the extensions in your campaign before your gaming session, turn them off. If you don't backup your campaigns regularly, you're doing it wrong.

anything come/coming of this?
    aka Laendra

(Discord: Laendra#9660)
    Ultimate license (FGC/FGU)
    Current Timezone : Central (CDT) (GMT -5)
    OP: 3317036507 / 2369539

My opinions are my own and represent no entity other than myself

Extension Support Discord: https://discord.gg/gKgC7nGpZK

Extensions = risk to your gaming experience. If you haven't tested out the extensions in your campaign before your gaming session, turn them off. If you don't backup your campaigns regularly, you're doing it wrong.

Blog Entries
    I'm sure this is not something that would be looked at until after FGU release. But I still think it's worth discussing

Thread Information