DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Bad Allocation Issues

I used to be able to switch between FG, a PDF, Chrome, etc without any issues. Now when I switch back to FG I more often than not get a crash (Runtime Error: Exception: Bad Allocation). I am running a few extensions; DOE Base/Sound, Enhanced Images, leather background, with the PF2E ruleset (all updated to latest versions). I have ensured my image/token count is low to prevent memory issues, though I have a very high end tower. Has anyone else run into this issue? Any recommendations on a solution?

Bad allocation errors are usually caused by memory issues. Monitor the FantasyGrounds.exe process in Windows task manager and see how much memory it is using.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

So when I open FG and work on my campaign, its using 1.5gb memory. Around 10% for the CPU and Memory. When I open up a PDF or do anything else outside of FG, as soon as I click on FG again, it jumps to 3.5gb memory with the memory usage at 15-20%. Thats when it freezes and I get the bad allocation errors.

And the limit for a 32bit application is around the 3.2Gb mark. So it's a memory issue. Not sure why it would jump when you select it but first test in a new campaign without any extensions just to make sure that is the issue.

Assuming that a new campaign runs without issue then you'll need to reduce the memory load in the campaign. Close any unneeded modules (especially token modules) and make sure you have nothing in your tokens/host or tokens/shared folders. And determine whether you really need all of the extensions you have loaded - especially decal extensions.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

OK thanks. I was really trying this time to keep most of what I needed for the campaign in FG, for ease of access for myself and the players. Guess I will have to go back to using an external campaign repository for setting info (ie website). Ah, frustrations born of laziness...

Be nice if FGU wasnt so bound by memory restrictions, particularly with all the map functionality. But I suppose it becomes an issue with clients and their systems as well (lowest common denominator).

I'll scrub the FG folders and strip them to the bare minimum.

Thanks for the quick replys.

It's still weird that the memory jump only occurs when you switch back to FG. How are you switching - ALT-TAB? Via Windows task bar? Do you have any specific window open within FG at the point you switch back?

I've tried to recreate a big memory jump when switching out and back from FG and I can't see any significant jump.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I will open FG and start work on a Story line (cutting sections from a PDF and pasting/editing them in FG). I usually have the battle map open, along with the Encounter menu. I use two screens and in the past I simply had to click on the other screen to jump between programs. I have tried using alt-tab and the taskbar. I also turned off all the extensions, same problem.

A few times I have gotten the error - Runtime Error: D3DXCreateTexture failed - D3DPOOL_MANAGED

Gimme an hour to strip down my campaign and asset files, I'll see if it continues to happen.

OK, so I took just about everything out. Runs at 654mb of Memory. No issues with freezing now. Also, no spike when I switch.

Thanks for the help.

Blog Entries
    I wonder if the spike is due to the clipboard content. If it happens again, might be worth try to paste from teh PDF into Notepad++ and then copy from there (so clipboard doesn't have all the pdf info) and then paste into FG.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

With so many resources available and Game Masters needing unconstrained access to design and create content in FG outside of game sessions, maybe there should be a Design Mode and a Play Mode for campaigns. In Design Mode, let the GM work with all their stuff in FG. I can see how the 32-bit architecture limitation would affect size limitations on accessing a single element, but as far as loading a bunch of content that falls under the max size, the limitations shouldn't be 32-bit based. Software on 32-bit architectures have done far more powerful computing and data moving than what FG is serving up. I just saw that to maybe have something like this, that I need to post elsewhere: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com. I will. Thank you for providing info about his error as I'm having it too.
    Last edited by wheelbarrowracers; August 14th, 2020 at 04:26.
    Wheelbarrow Racer

"The price of freedom is more than the blood of soldiers"

Thread Information