Page 2 of 2 First 12
    other than saying that it is not compatible, can you come up with some possiable ideas?
    Lots of sympathy for the age of the hardware. Maybe it can do other things but the chipset for the graphics came out in 2002??? for DX7? The operating system on your laptop sends it all the data but it fails. Yours is not the only machine with this sort of bad graphic screen.

If you type "dxdiag" at the command prompt you should call up the Direct X control window. Under the 'Display' tab there are 5 buttons. 3 on the left set properties for DX9 and the other 2 test the graphics engine. I think you will find that your machine can not enable all the properties and pass the tests.

I really do understand your frustration but its part of the technology ramp.
    FG programmers went to DX9 to keep current with thier toolset, components etc... and to make the best product. You can benefit from if you have newer hardware.

Not much else to be said.

Sigurd
    J.R.R. Tolkien wrote, "I wish life was not so short. Languages take such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about."

Quote Originally Posted by richvalle
    It won't work. Its not that you can't have Directx 9.0c installed, its that the card can't use all the features in directx 9 and so FG doesn't work.

Other then replacing the video card (possible in a laptop??) there's nothing to do.

rv
    I remember an external graphics cards being touted at one of the electronics show this year but its probably not at market yet and will be expensive I am guessing.

Your only option, Lucian, is to add a video card to the laptop if this is possible and not use the build in intergrated card. Should you choose to do this be very careful about what card you get. Many laptop cards internal or addons are not really fully DirectX compliant (as you just found out). This is because most laptop screens can't really do 3d well anyway and sometimes they are trying to cut corners on power useage which typically is a big concern with laptops.

Quote Originally Posted by joshuha
    I remember an external graphics cards being touted at one of the electronics show this year but its probably not at market yet and will be expensive I am guessing.
    Here is the link to the external product I was talking about. It is supposed to be released this quarter but note that is only really used to drive an external monitor with your laptop, not the internal one. It also requires an Xpress card slot which I am not sure if your laptop has one.

http://usa.asus.com/news_show.aspx?id=5469

Is there really no other way to fix this problem besides purchasing another expensive graphics cards? Nothing at all? One of my players is having issues with her laptop with the same problems. The thing is she passes all of the tests in the DxDiag thing.

The only other thing I can think of is that I think the NVIDIA control tool allows you to play around with the acceleration options (low, medium, high quality) kind of thing. Try all the settings there and see if it makes a difference (I vaguely remember some people when it was set to high were actually having problems).

Quote Originally Posted by drkknight32
    Is there really no other way to fix this problem besides purchasing another expensive graphics cards? Nothing at all? One of my players is having issues with her laptop with the same problems. The thing is she passes all of the tests in the DxDiag thing.
    What is the brand model of the laptop or the graphics card inside of it?

I'll have to check my older Dell laptop. I had issues getting Rome Total War to run on it but was able to by running some 'unsupported' drivers not made by the graphics card company themselves. FG works on it as well.

I'll try to check it out tonight or next week (I'm not by the laptop now).

Sadly, if your card does not support DX 9.0 there isn't anything that can be done. FG just needs those abilities to work and the card can't do it.

rv

Thanks for your help guys! The unsupported drivers thing was what worked. Nvidia apparently has a bad rap for some of its Go series and not supporting it with enough driver updates and stuff.

If you're having trouble with the Geforce4 420 32mb (My friends model) you can go to www.laptopvideo2go.com They have driver versions for most Nvidia cards. The one we used was the 44.86 model. It makes the Geforce4 more compatible with Direct x ...or at the very least makes it work with Fantasy Grounds.

Great! Glad it helped.

rv

Thread Information