STAR TREK 2d20

What is "CoreRPG" like? (See chart)

A usage chart for 2018 just appeared on EN World RPG News, and, while it doesn't contain a lot of surprises, I have a question about it. Since EN doesn't allow images, and Fantasy Grounds doesn't have an official article yet (apparently), here's a non-pie-chart breakdown of the numbers.

D&D 5e: 67%Pathfinder: 11%Savage Worlds: 5%Other: 17% (172,542 sessions)

Then "Other" breaks down like so: Starfinder 21,126 CoreRPG 16,778 MoreCore 15,821 Call of Cthulhu 15,603 D&D 4e 11,838 Star Wars Edge of the Empire 10,216 GURPS 7,534 AD&D (1e & 2e?) 6,783 Pathfinder 2 6727 Castles & Crusades 6630 Warhammer Fantasy 5470...and so on down to Traveller, bottoming out at 1125.

My question is this: while it seems like "CoreRPG" and "MoreCore" are catch-alls for "any independent game," I have no experience with Fantasy Grounds myself, and I'm finding it hard to track down an explanation about what it actually is or how it actually works. If it's suitable for lots of games, e.g., why is Traveller broken out separately? Is Champions in there? Or is CoreRPG really just "d20-based systems"? The official material seems quite vague.

Blog Entries
    Hey ElistonCole and welcome

Fantasy Grounds has some features that most other VTTs dont in that in can be really custom built to support specific rulesets or game systems.
    For example in 5E when you tag armour as Equipped it will check if you are proficient in it, it will add penalties to stealth checks and it will improve your AC.
    When a monster tries to hit you it will check what buff spells might be on you (via effects) what magical equipment bonuses (via effects) are in place, your DEX, your Armour and even things like UNCONSCIOUS and it will look at the attackers HD, the weapon they are using etc and then apply all that to the roll. Then if you hit - when you roll damage it looks at all that stuff plus RESISTances etc.
    Now it doesnt do everything out of the box. But it does a LOT.

These rulesets and the corresponding digital content take a lot of time to build out and need licensing deals from the IP holders.

Fantasy Grounds has licensing deals for D&D 5E and 2E, Pathfinder 1E, 2E and Starfinder, Call of Cthulhu, Savage Worlds, Traveller and a few others.

There are also community rulesets that have some to a lot of automation but cannot include the digital content for licensing reasons. Star Wars and GURPs are 2 of those.

CoreRPG is a generic Table Top that includes a lot of smarts but no knowledge of how a specific RPG works. It doesnt know that STR 18 is a d20 roll under mechanism or is a d100 roll under or something else all together. It doesnt know how to determine if the target is wearing Armour and has Dex bonuses etc.

MoreCore is a community built ruleset that sits on top of CoreRPG and has a stack of rolls and capabilities built in that allow you to define quite a lot of game mechanics and can be used to play many systems with a fair degree of automation.

As you can see - far and away - 5E is the gorilla.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...hrough-2019-Q3

That is the latest update with pie chart and others.

I cannot speak for all, since I don't specifically know their history but I can tell you a bit about Traveller. Awhile back MadBeardMan wanted to run Traveller on Fantasy Grounds. He started with CoreRPG and built what he needed to run his game and then added on and adjusted this or that until one day it was pretty nice. Much of what he did was in a variety of public forums as he asked assistance with this coding or that along with various statements as to where he was at.

There was some community interest in using the ruleset as it neared completion. I'm not sure who talked to who or the specific order of events but the Traveller 1E ruleset was officially licensed. For awhile it was locked in time after that as MBM suffered a series of unfortunate maladies. On his return he was able to make a number of changes with an aim to release the 2E ruleset which Mongoose really wanted with other changes consistently coming as this section or that are improved or defined.

So basically the point of the post comes down to this. He started with CoreRPG which is good if you just want to make something simple and cool, but now days Traveller is not really recognizable as the baseline it was built on. It has a lot of options and automation that isn't standard and is customized specifically for Traveller.

While I do not know this for certain and maybe Smiteworks might shed some light on it, it is my belief that people who just make character sheets and play like old school tabletop where the DM tells people results of rolls factor into CoreRPG and MoreCore. Rulesets that have evolved to the point that they can declare what they are probably get broken out in the listings.

Blog Entries
    A thing to keep in mind, when you start a campaign, you select which ruleset you will use. Then when you start that campaign it knows what ruleset to load.

So, CoreRPG and MoreCore are catchalls for systems that do not have a dedicated ruleset. For instance I play in a Star Frontiers game, since it does not have it's own dedicated ruleset, it falls into a catchall.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by ElistonCole View Post
    A usage chart for 2018 just appeared on EN World RPG News, and, while it doesn't contain a lot of surprises, I have a question about it. Since EN doesn't allow images, and Fantasy Grounds doesn't have an official article yet (apparently), here's a non-pie-chart breakdown of the numbers.

I am a spammer

D&D 5e: 67%Pathfinder: 11%Savage Worlds: 5%Other: 17% (172,542 sessions)

Then "Other" breaks down like so: Starfinder 21,126 CoreRPG 16,778 MoreCore 15,821 Call of Cthulhu 15,603 D&D 4e 11,838 Star Wars Edge of the Empire 10,216 GURPS 7,534 AD&D (1e & 2e?) 6,783 Pathfinder 2 6727 Castles & Crusades 6630 Warhammer Fantasy 5470...and so on down to Traveller, bottoming out at 1125.

My question is this: while it seems like "CoreRPG" and "MoreCore" are catch-alls for "any independent game," I have no experience with Fantasy Grounds myself, and I'm finding it hard to track down an explanation about what it actually is or how it actually works. If it's suitable for lots of games, e.g., why is Traveller broken out separately? Is Champions in there? Or is CoreRPG really just "d20-based systems"? The official material seems quite vague.

issue solved!!
    Last edited by damned; April 7th, 2021 at 04:33.

I think this person is a spammer - they've posted exactly the same post (exactly the same) with a new account from the same region of India. I've used Spam-o-matic to remove that user and their post.

No need to waste time responding to the OP question IMO.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information