STAR TREK 2d20

So About the SW Enhanced Library?

I've noticed that the only thing the default sample imports is the following: Players Guide organized by chapters & sub-chapters, a Sample/intro page, New Hindrances, New Edges, New Weapons, New Vehicles and Appendixes with NPCs, Parcels & Tables. So being being new I have to ask is that all that it can be used to import, or can other features be added?

I ask because my homebrew settings add &/or modify skills (one even add a few specializations) and most add new races - 1 replaces all core races. Almost all of them also remove some edges and skills. I know I can do that WYSIWYG and export a module, but that just seems to get me a new drop-down for my campaign and in my thinking, makes it too easy for players to use core content they shouldn't be.
    Ideally what I'd like do is one of the following 1) have everything that's added/modded for my campaign, be listed on the Enhanced Library Page; 2) Have my additions/modifications and applicable core content be the only content that's available to players.

From what I've learnt so far from going through the Extension tutorials (unfortunately both made errant by core changes), is that I probably can only achieve number 2 by unpacking the ruleset, deleting existing content and then packing it up. Which seems like a heckuva lot of work and darn risky.
    If anyone could confirm or debunk my assumptions here, it'd be much appreciated. And if there's a way to expand what's imported in the Enhanced Library beyond what's in the example, or if I'm misunderstanding it's purpose, I'd love to read about it.
    Last edited by kronovan; January 7th, 2020 at 23:45.

Blog Entries
    That's how official DLC works too, whether it was created via manual XML or with SWEL. The core reference data (edges, hindrances, powers, etc.) are all there (if the user loads them in the Library) and you use a dropdown to make sure you're using the correct source for when a setting makes changes to core material.

Blog Entries
    Unpacking and deleting content from the ruleset won't do you any good...none of the information you are talking about is included in the the ruleset itself, its all in various modules.

The Enhanced Library extension is a tool to make creating Savage Worlds modules easier.

Based on what you are asking, here is my recommendations:

1. From the Player's Guide(s) make copies of whatever it is you want to change, then edit those copies. Whether its edges/hindrances, races, skills, Arcane Backgrounds, etc.

2. Using either the Enhanced Library extension or FG's UI create the new items you want to add.

3. Export as a module. In your campaign only allow your players to use it, and by this I mean literally block them from using any of the available Player's Guides. In the Module Activation window drag the red X over anything you don't want them to be able to open. You'd need to make sure anything they will need access to is copied to your module.
    Ultimate License Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Mortar View Post
    Unpacking and deleting content from the ruleset won't do you any good...none of the information you are talking about is included in the the ruleset itself, its all in various modules.

The Enhanced Library extension is a tool to make creating Savage Worlds modules easier.

1. From the Player's Guide(s) make copies of whatever it is you want to change, then edit those copies. Whether its edges/hindrances, races, skills, Arcane Backgrounds, etc.

2. Using either the Enhanced Library extension or FG's UI create the new items you want to add.

3. Export as a module. In your campaign only allow your players to use it, and by this I mean literally block them from using any of the available Player's Guides. In the Module Activation window drag the red X over anything you don't want them to be able to open. You'd need to make sure anything they will need access to is copied to your module.
    I look at this way, in a face-to-face game with actual rule-books (paper or PDF) and a GM using custom rules, this is how it is, so to be honest nothing is any different.

If you wanted to stop players seeing ANY core stuff you do not want to use, you would have to make your own rule-books, as described by Mortar above.

I am not saying that in a ideal world it wouldn't be nice to be able to hide stuff in FG on a custom basis, but as it stands it is not any different that the RPG tabletop experience it is replicating...
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Yours are still on combat round 6

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.
    First GM to post a game for the original FG Con!

My apologies for taking some time to reply back, but many thanks for th replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortar View Post

OK I've been doing this to create my custom hindrances, edges and skills, so I'm clear on what to do.

I've done an initial module export of my custom races. I've however been confused a bit about best practices, based on this that's stated in the User Guide:

"One of the best practices for this feature is to create a campaign specifically for each module, so that it can be updated at a later date and re-exported."

I have a campaign based on my homebrew name, so is that suggesting that I should create separate homebrew-races, homebrew-edges, homebrew-skills campaigns based on the same ruleset and export that specific aspect of the ruleset? Or is that just suggesting that it's a best practice to create a single custom campaign if you plan on exporting modules? The manual also mentions Merge ID fields for the export feature, but I have no such field? As well, is it best practice to export all of the different features (races, hindrances, edges, skills, ect) in a single export module (realize that will need to be done in the end anyways), or separate exports for the different features?

As might be expected, I find the making a copy then editing/WYSYWIG approach easier. With my little foray into extensions however, I've realized I'll need to create an extension for a custom Character Sheet, because I add a custom track (bit like fatigue, wounds or ammo, but more complex) to the character sheet for my 2 homebrews I want to adapt. Which leads to another question; what's the best way to track down all the XML and LUA that the character sheet uses in the unpacked ruleset?
    So if I'm following you correctly there - create copies of even those features I'm not going to change, so they'll also be new items and therefore exported to my module?
    Last edited by kronovan; January 9th, 2020 at 18:34.

Blog Entries
    If you absolutely insist on taking a hard stance like that, then yes, you'll have to copy everything you allow and export that. That's more work for you, and -- this is just my two cents -- if it becomes obvious the GM does not trust me to play in his game? I would leave that game. That's just me and my personal values though. If that's what's going on, then software can't solve that; only an Adult Conversation™ will.

Since you are doing homebrew and your own personal content, you are not under the same restrictions we are when producing official DLC where we are required to maintain the official published text of any changes to core data, etc. For example, here are shots of Deadlands Noir and Lankhmar and how I chose to display Pinnacle's text alerting the user that there are changes:

Lankhmar also changed several core Powers, not pictured here.

You could very easily just make your custom module with just your homebrew content, then create a Story page and publicly share it with all players (and/or use the MOTD extension) to clearly tell which core content you are disallowing, etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
    If you absolutely insist on taking a hard stance like that, then yes, you'll have to copy everything you allow and export that. That's more work for you, and -- this is just my two cents -- if it becomes obvious the GM does not trust me to play in his game? I would leave that game. That's just me and my personal values though. If that's what's going on, then software can't solve that; only an Adult Conversation™ will.
    Excellent feedback and I very much appreciate the candidness. It's not an issue of trust, so much as concerns about potential confusion by players new to Savage Worlds. Currently I'm running at a table the 1st homebrew I hope to adapt to FG. I provide for that table copies of the Savage Worlds Deluxe softcover and a well layed-out document complete with ToC and Indexes, detailing both my homebrew changes to hindrances, skills, edges and the new SWADE rule changes. While I expected some confusion with the SWADE changes as there's a good many and most of my players are new to SW, I've also been surprised at how some players have struggled with my changes to the ruleset. As a rule of thumb I only add or modify 5 skills and 5 edges and even less hindrances, so it's not like my homebrews are radical departures from the core. The track I add to the character sheet though, while subtle in appearance, does have a significant impact on play mechanics.

About a 3rd of my players have been GMs with other RPGs -1's even homebrewed- and they've been quick at getting up to speed, with no problems following the campaign doc. A few though, tend not be strong on attention to details and often forget to check my campaign doc. I've done a lot of training, so I consider myself good at reading the signs of confusion and can do that effectively at a gaming table. Online with no face -to- face is a different story though. I've been delivering training and presentations via web hosting for years, but admittedly have done little experience with RPG VTTs. TBH the majority of the time my players never have to reference the rules, it's just the times when they do. Using FG will at least guarantee my campaign will have the SWADE rules for players to browse, but that's really only 1 of my challenges. My wanting to tighten up on what's viewable is really about hosting my homebrewed campaign via FG, in a way in which there's the least potential for confusion.

For example, here are shots of Deadlands Noir and Lankhmar and how I chose to display Pinnacle's text alerting the user that there are changes:
    Good examples because I own both of those PDFs.

You could very easily just make your custom module with just your homebrew content, then create a Story page and publicly share it with all players (and/or use the MOTD extension) to clearly tell which core content you are disallowing, etc.
    I'm not sure that approach would fly for my campaign, due to the challenges I described above. I'm certainly open to suggestions.

Have 1st session as a character building session and each player can go over their character with you, and you can tell them when they have take the wrong edge/hindrance.

I always ask my players when they level up what they have done, (I also get them to add it to the notes tab), then if they pick an illegal option you nerf it there and then.
    Last edited by Doswelk; January 11th, 2020 at 16:03.
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Yours are still on combat round 6

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.
    First GM to post a game for the original FG Con!

Thread Information