5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Kicking Disconected Players/Viewing all Connections

Especially now that we're testing it so happens that players will more likely than ever experience Disconnects or other issues. This means it would be more than helpful when the DM gets a possible way to disconect/kick a player. If the player had picked a Character, the rightklick menu allows to kick the player, but nothing happens and the player trying to reconect get a error that the username is already in used until the timeout happens (I think it's ~ 30m).

In addition it might happen, that a Player connects and is unable to select a Character, in which case even the above Option is not possible. As DM I can't even see who is logged onto my server. So for example I could have a "Lurker" on a open/public Server that does not choose a Character but stays connected. In that case I as DM can only see that the user had conected but I'd be unable to kick him.

If you are worried about 'lurkers' joining your game then password protect it.

If a player can't choose a character it'll be because the character has been assigned to someone else or is owned by someone else. The DM can clear ownership of the character and if the player refreshed the selection screen the character will become available.

Not sure why you would ever need to kick a legitimate player.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    I've had the need a couple of times - someone losing it, being inappropriate (after being warned), etc.. Usually in one-offs or early in a new campaign, but there can be the need. And from another aspect - just clearing a hung connection.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    If you are worried about 'lurkers' joining your game then password protect it.
    People sometimes do forget stuff or want to host a open game, but once the server is filled would have to whisper the group actually playing a password and rehost the server with it. This is more a case of "additional issues" that could rise up. In any case you could end up with more players on your game as intended and as such if they do not pick a character would be able to linger/spam etc. I had my share of MMO-Server admin-time (including running the forums). When people get bored they try all sort of "fun" things.

If a player can't choose a character it'll be because the character has been assigned to someone else or is owned by someone else. The DM can clear ownership of the character and if the player refreshed the selection screen the character will become available.

Now that is the essential issue I descibed. I had my players join the game, and even though the char was cleared, they could not select it. In that case they had been able to reconect and after some testing we noticed that the combination ME: Server+Testclient and OTHERemoclient did mess things up.

Aside from that the real issue was when my player got a Crash/Disconect. If that happend they showed up on my side as DM still conected, but if I try to kick them nothing happens. Meanwhile the player tries to reconnect and get a error that a user with this name is already logged in. And it's highly annoying to change the username, reconect and get all stuff reassigned to circumvent that time until the server actually notices that the user is no longer there and free's up (as I said about 30m)

Blog Entries
    Along with this, imo, would be a connection status window. It could indicate the names and IP of connections, as well as connection details for the host, alias, IP, password, etc.

I believe their is already a request for the ability to display the active IP values for a game without returning to the launcher. This would solve that, plus this need.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

With the advent of the lobby, there will probably be more people randomly connecting. We want to add some more tools there to help manage network/users. However, these issues can be mitigated by using a private server and/or password, and those features are much lower than getting live games working and rulesets all working.

Regards,
    JPG

This is an old thread, but I was hoping to bump this versus posting a new one - as I have found a need for this request as well, helping out with SDCC and using unity at tables, to also have a window to view who is connected/kick people.

These are with assumed private games with password lock. If a player for some reason loses a connection and did not pick up a character sheet, there is no way to "kick" them so they can reconnect. Often, when they attempt to reconnect, they get a message they're already connected. I saw this more prevalently at SDCC - where DMs may have 1-2 players drop connection and have to either 1) wait 5-10 minutes for the server to recognize they were no longer connected to reconnect or 2) quit the server booting everyone and restarting it. During a con setting with timed slots - these are both unfavorable options.

I've experienced this (where I dropped connection) as recently as a few days ago and was unable to reconnect and also saw this happen to a handful of DMs during july sdcc.
    Fantasy Grounds D&D Adventurers League Consultant
    Organizer, DungeonMaster , and TTRPG Gamer

[deleted]
    Last edited by GrumpyOldAndy; September 18th, 2020 at 17:28.

Blog Entries
    The ability to kick has been implemented. Right click on the character portrait. There is a little boot there

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Also, in FGU, you can use the following chat commands:
    * /info - Get a list of server info and all connected users.
    * /kick - Get a list of all connected users
    * /kick <username> - Kick the specific user

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information