STAR TREK 2d20

Connection Error: Using the Same Modem/Router Issues?

My brother and I play a weekly game together in the same home. He plays on a desktop, I play on a laptop. I can't connect to the game he hosts. Is this because we're on the same router/modem? And if so, is there a specific way to overcome this connection problem?

Blog Entries
    Are you using the game alias to try to connect to him? Or perhaps the external IP address everyone else uses? If so, that's the problem. Use the internal IP address of his computer since you are on the same network. Many routers do not allow network traffic to exit the network and then return to a computer on the network, and therefore would block you from connecting to him using anything but an internal IP address.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!! I HAVE LITERALLY BEEN MAKING THIS MISTAKE FOR MONTHS!!! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

I'd been using screen viewer as a crutch and it's a real pain in the neck. Thanks for this LordEntrails.

Is it weirder that it worked for a long time and then only worked intermittently before it totally failed?
    Last edited by zruhnke; January 3rd, 2020 at 02:19. Reason: More information before any reply

Blog Entries
    I'm surprised it worked intermittently. I wouldn't be surprised if it worked and then stopped working after a router update or reset. Many router/modem/gateways have a setting to allow you to control this, but not all (and sometimes those settings are only accessible to the ISP).

Glad it's working. Next time don't wait so long to try and find a solution

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information