STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: Mac Performance

Mac Performance

Upon loading the FantasyGrounds updater my laptop's fans go NUTS.

For downloading files/updating I wouldn't think I should be experiencing a bringing my laptop to it's knees the same way a 3d game rendering 60 frames a second does.

WindowServer 110%
    FGUpdaterEngine 74-150%

Hopefully this can be addressed before live? It "smells" like there is a ton of extra stuff going on in the background like an unneeded 3d subsystem running or something.

WindowServer is slammed one the app loads too.
    Last edited by Gix; December 25th, 2019 at 22:13.

Blog Entries
    Performance like you are experiencing is not unexpected and is common on both Windows and Mac platforms. The devs have stated that at this point in the beta, stability is their priority. After that I think they said functionality and then after that performance.

So, don't expect performance to improve until closer to production release.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thank you Lord, good to know it isn't "acceptable," just understandable at this phase!

Good to hear as well. I wish I had access to the codebase to compile different versions of the Mac version to test! I'd like to compare the Metal and OpenGL graphics API's.

I recently sent out an update that should reduce usage significantly, I think you should see marked improvements with an update.

Performance improved remarkably. I have been testing using the Vole's Guide to Monsters map, Beholder's Lair (players) on a fresh campaign. Was able to add rain fx and use line of sight in real time without my machine grinding to a spinning wheel halt for the first time. RAM started to max out and the fans turned on, and I didn't go deep into any CPU, GPU, or RAM usage patterns. First glance, so much better.

MacBook Pro 2017, i7 2.5GHz, 16GB RAM

Bravo! Looking forward to more playing around with this on my Mac.

I'm on an older Mac Mini (2011 2.3ghz i5, 16GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB graphics), but the current build is just completely unusable for me. So much lag. I'm sure that the answer will be for me to buy a new computer, but that's just not feasible right now.

We are in the process of making some frame rate targeting changes that may help with performance. The Mac build isn't live with those changes yet, but should be by tomorrow.

However, I'm not sure that a 9-year old computer is going to handle the system well overall, and we don't have any way of "downgrading" graphics behavior. The requirements are primarily driven by Unity platform, as well as the amount of graphics in rulesets and modules.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Gozer the Gozerian View Post
    I'm on an older Mac Mini (2011 2.3ghz i5, 16GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB graphics), but the current build is just completely unusable for me. So much lag. I'm sure that the answer will be for me to buy a new computer, but that's just not feasible right now.
    I have been using this exact Mac Mini a a player on the FGU Dev Server as a local player with good results. I have not tried to use it as a GM. I have seen great improvements in with the current Dev builds compared to the original releases on the Live Server.
    FGU Ultimate License
    FG Discord - Lord_Ulric
    Time Zone: US Eastern (GMT -5)
    Playing -
    Starfinder, D&D, Savage Worlds, Call of Cthulhu, Hero System aka Champions, Traveller, and more!
    My Forge Creations

Glad others have the same experience and it is not just on my MacBook Air. I hoped to use it with that Mac (quiet little chap). But - admittedly - I want to run the game on my 34" screen, since space is crucial in FG. And normally, using the Mac Book Air in this configuration (its internal panel and the 34") doesn't even start the fan, even when streaming videos full screen, doing remote sessions streaming the UI etc.

I can see that currently, the main system load comes exactly from trying to utilise the full screen space (even when getting close to half of it, the fans spin wild). And I am not even loading large images. It is just the empty UI that demands. If Unity uses system resources brute force, there may not be much hope. But looking forward to whatever performance improvements can be made.

Meanwhile, in a few days I will try the FGU with my stationary Windows 10 PC. Not the newest, but dedicated graphics, 16GB and runs rather smooth. Will see how that goes.

Thread Information