STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Connection problems

Hey guys, sorry for posting multiple times here. I am not the greatest at computers, but I doing my best to figure this out. Hopefully once I can get things running smoothly everything will be great.

Here is my current situation.
    1. I started working on my desktop (computer1).
    2. I believe I have opened the ports. There seemed to be two settings that I needed to change.
    3. I ran the test in game and it came back Success.
    4. Canyouseeme.org comes back with connection timed out though.
    5. Setup a different account on another computer (computer2).
    6. Computer2 was able to connect to computer1 and things seemed good for the most part.
    7. Realized I needed to setup this up on my laptop to host. Transferred license over to laptop (I think I did that fine).
    8. Turned off all firewalls on laptop.
    9. Tried connect test in game. It gives error result.
    10. Canyouseeme.org comes back with connection timed out error.

So, it works on desktop. Doesn't work on laptop same network. Any thoughts/

Brian

Blog Entries
    Hi Bwoerth

Port forwarding works to exactly one computer at a time.
    If you manually port forwarded to PC1 you will need to manually change those to point to LAP1
    If the router configured the port forwarding automatically then reboot the router and retest from LAP1

Also canyouseeme can only see you if FG has a campaign loaded/running - not on the connection screen.

Thanks, I will try that! And good to know about canyouseeme.org.

Brian

I deleted the port forwarding to computer1 and tried to setup port forwarding to laptop, but it gives me an error that says specified ports are being used by other configurations. I have rebooted the router, laptop, and computer. I have no idea how to get this to work. I did some googling the only thing I could see was some people recommended turning of UPnP which I did. Still didn't work. Any thoughts?

Blog Entries
    If the router says the port is being used by other configurations then somewhere else on the router you still have that port configured for use.
    Are you sure you deleted teh correct port forwards before adding the new ones?

Thanks for the help. Before I started any of this, there were no port forwarding. I setup one for 1802 to go to computer1. It worked. It had no error about being used. Then I wanted to switch to the laptop. So I deleted the one I created. This made no port forwarding. I then tried to create a port forwarding for 1802 to go to the laptop. This failed, stating that the port was being used. There is currently no port forwards. So I have no idea how or where it is being used. Is there any way to "release" the port? Is it some sort of remnant from the original port forwarding? Just frustrating. Thanks for all the help.

Blog Entries
    it most likely is a glitch on the router then
    try rebooting the router again
    try recreating the original port forward and see if that lets you - then delete it again
    try create a new port forward in a different port just to test and see if that lets you

Rebooted twice more. Still errors out.
    It errors out with the original port setting. I can't get any IP address to match with port 1802 now.
    It does allow creating a forward to a different port, ie 1801.
    I set one up to 1801. It worked. I deleted and then set it up again and that worked. Something seems to have grabbed control of 1802 and is not letting go.

Is there a setting within the game? When I had it originally setup to forward to computer1, I did startup a campaign and had a player connect to the campaign to give it a try. Did that connection set something up?

Blog Entries
    No, running FG didn't set anything up on the router that shouldn't be cleared by a router reboot. (i.e. if UPnP was in use, it might have set up a temporary port forward rule to PC1).

Make sure you exit FG on all computers when you reboot your router, so that the router doesn't do anything unexpected.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information