DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 5 of 5 First ... 345
    The forum has little to do with your license of the game. And this is not the only place to find others interested in Fantasy Grounds.

I like picking other peoples brains and enjoyed the conversation. I don't agree on some of the opinions but since it's opinions and not facts I'm not concerned trying to convert anybody.

But comparing to action oriented computer games seems a little wrong. There you have a visual element you don't have in rpg. Unless you play with minis and are fine with that you hit the enemy as long you mini is facing the right direction. And even if its only how you line up your aim towards the hitbox of the enemy it's still known to the player what happens then he pulls the trigger. He knows that the guns does X damage and the enemy can take XX damage. In your game as I understand it the only thing the player knows is that he knows nothing. What happens is up to the GM. It's no control at all to the player. I think thats might be the main problem you will face with your game.

Otherwise it sounds like a storytelling rpg and if you label your game with that you will get fewer upset players who thought they there getting a rule light rpg.
    I have seen some great plays during storytelling rpgs that should have been impossible with dice rules. But they have mostly been in chats without a GM...

Quote Originally Posted by RunningHill View Post
    The forum has little to do with your license of the game. And this is not the only place to find others interested in Fantasy Grounds.
    Some forums won't let you even access their site upon a ban, and I have to have this site linked to my Steam account - something I find extremely questionable, BTW - in order to even get access to my DLC. I don't know how things work, but there's a non-zero chance that I'll get robbed if mods here won't like me.

But comparing to action oriented computer games seems a little wrong. There you have a visual element you don't have in rpg. Unless you play with minis and are fine with that you hit the enemy as long you mini is facing the right direction. And even if its only how you line up your aim towards the hitbox of the enemy it's still known to the player what happens then he pulls the trigger. He knows that the guns does X damage and the enemy can take XX damage.
    Well, first of all, there is no combat in my game world. The characters will never have a physical fighting chance against the mythos. The rare cases that they encounter something like a little ghoul, it's like a human encountering a xenomorph: There might be running involved, but it will be a pointless kind of running, which they will only survive through plot. My setting takes place before the invention of the revolver, and there are laws against possessing firearms. The way to handle suspicious people, it to alert the authorities and let them handle it on their own.
    I will still use minis, but that'll be for the purpose of map exploration only.

In your game as I understand it the only thing the player knows is that he knows nothing. What happens is up to the GM. It's no control at all to the player. I think thats might be the main problem you will face with your game.
    That's only the case in the Sword & Sorcery game, which does have rules and dice. It's sort of a polar opposite, just for the sake of utilizing that row of dice that's always tantalizingly present underneath the chat window.
    In the CoC scenario, not knowing about things like the mythos, is expected. The mythos is supposed to be a mystery to explore. The moment you know its hit dice, the horror is absolutely ruined. The rest of the world is a common setting that I'll describe plenty of.

Otherwise it sounds like a storytelling rpg and if you label your game with that you will get fewer upset players who thought they there getting a rule light rpg.
    Yes, I'd like to call my game a storytelling game, but then White Wolf copyrighted "The Storytelling System", which is still a system with rules and dice, so now we can't have nice things anymore. ...but I believe that I did refer to it as such once in this topic, and never a rules light RPG.

I have seen some great plays during storytelling rpgs that should have been impossible with dice rules. But they have mostly been in chats without a GM...
    Without a GM? THAT seems like something impossible. I tried to let my players do that when I couldn't make it to a session once, and the next thing I know they had expanded their operation across the globe, acquiring giant X-Com bases and anything their imaginations could invent, because I wasn't there to stop them, or explain that the game didn't even take place on Earth.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MooCow View Post
    Some forums won't let you even access their site upon a ban, and I have to have this site linked to my Steam account - something I find extremely questionable, BTW - in order to even get access to my DLC. I don't know how things work, but there's a non-zero chance that I'll get robbed if mods here won't like me.
    I understand the concern. But dont worry, Smiteworks runs Fantasy Grounds nothing like the Orr Group runs Roll20.

I guess it's possible they could do something like you contemplate, but I cant imagine they ever would. Doug is not that type of person. And from what I remember, that one user who was banned was actually publicaly offered a full refund if they wanted it. No idea if they took up the offer.

Also note, the moderators here are community volunteers and not Smiteworks employees. So we dont have the ability to do any such thing. The only ones that actually are employees are listed as "developers", and from a practical point the two that would have the authority to do any such thing would be ddavison (Doug) and Moon Wizard (John). And you can look at their profiles and see what they have posted to get an idea of who they are.

As for the Steam thing, it's only if you purchased DLC via Steam that you need to link that account. Others can address that more if you still have concerns.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    I understand the concern. But dont worry, Smiteworks runs Fantasy Grounds nothing like the Orr Group runs Roll20.
    I guess it's possible they could do something like you contemplate, but I cant imagine they ever would. Doug is not that type of person. And from what I remember, that one user who was banned was actually publicaly offered a full refund if they wanted it. No idea if they took up the offer.
    Also note, the moderators here are community volunteers and not Smiteworks employees. So we dont have the ability to do any such thing. The only ones that actually are employees are listed as "developers", and from a practical point the two that would have the authority to do any such thing would be ddavison (Doug) and Moon Wizard (John). And you can look at their profiles and see what they have posted to get an idea of who they are.
    Betrayal is nothing new or unfathomable to me. All humans are made out of flesh, and flesh will always be weak, its mind hating what it doesn't understand and what it cannot relate to. I don't trust humans - especially not when it comes to caring for the inhuman. I only trust dead things.

As for the Steam thing, it's only if you purchased DLC via Steam that you need to link that account. Others can address that more if you still have concerns.
    I just don't see how it's necessary to give them things like my password and username at all. They get paid from Steam like everyone else. Maybe it's a way to avoid Steam from taking that huge percentage that I've been hearing about.

Sounds like you have some issues you need to work on or you try hard to be portrayed deep. I would love discuss game theory some more but not I'm not doing it with anyone who thinks I would be their enemy. Lighten up my friend, the world ain't darker than you let it be.

Quote Originally Posted by RunningHill View Post
    Sounds like you have some issues you need to work on or you try hard to be portrayed deep. I would love discuss game theory some more but not I'm not doing it with anyone who thinks I would be their enemy. Lighten up my friend, the world ain't darker than you let it be.
    It's not a matter of being an enemy. It's something in human nature. It's complicated to explain. Take my latest thread, about The Black Madonna, for example. For some reason it's locked now. I don't know why. The confusion is starting again. If I don't stop posting, it will be everywhere, and I'll get banned again.
    Thank you for your time.

Edit: No, it seems the locking was likely just due to human error.
    Last edited by MooCow; December 18th, 2019 at 04:35.

Blog Entries
    I just don't see how it's necessary to give them things like my password and username at all. They get paid from Steam like everyone else. Maybe it's a way to avoid Steam from taking that huge percentage that I've been hearing about.
    Its because of the nature of the FG platform. It has a library of 1400+ DLC and multiple products get updated every week and several new products come out most weeks. Steam is quite a bit more rigid than FGs own platform in being able to push out new versions - especially with Live, Test and Dev channels as well.
    Building FG to support the content from Steam without those login interactions is not a viable option for a niche product in a niche hobby.

I just don't see how it's necessary to give them things like my password and username at all.
    You don't give Fantasy Grounds your password and username. The screen where you signed in to Steam to allow your accounts to be linked detailed this:

Attached Images Attached Images
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information