FG Spreadshirt Swag

Bluetooth dice + Fantasy Grounds manual dice input?

So does does the result of the GoDice kickstarter have a chance of plugging into Fantasy Grounds? There is mention of an API and it would be an adaption of the FG manual dice input to make it work?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1928372437/godice-your-favorite-dice-games-reimagined

Server License: Ultimate. Anyone can play for free.
    Server Address: Cold Thief Bold Luck

I need this in my life. I imagine it would be a simple extension to make, but I really have no experience with that. Thanks for the link.

FG does not have an API to allow you to push information into the system; so this isn't something you could really build right now. With FGU development ongoing, we probably won't be looking at anything like this soon.

Regards,
    JPG

So would it be possible to if the system did the roll as a keyboard input where you would click the manual input box then roll the dice would work?
    Server License: Ultimate. Anyone can play for free.
    Server Address: Cold Thief Bold Luck

Assuming that an external program can mimic key presses, it might be possible; but that program would have to be written by someone. Also, you still run into challenges when rolling mixed dice. (i.e. which die goes in which field when rolling two or more dice of different sizes)

Regards,
    JPG

Ah that's too bad. I think my biggest gripe with running D&D digitally is that I don't get to roll dice (I mean I know I could roll and enter manually, but I feel like that defeats the purpose of all the automation). I would love to see something like this work.

I was thinking this would be great. But following John's comment, I'm wondering how FG would work out which die was to be used for which function.

When your DM asks for a Fort save (for instance) you just grab a D20 and add your modifier. In FG you click something that triggers a Fort save specifically, I'm not sure how the application would know what that D20 you just rolled was for. You'd have to trigger the action in FG, have FG assign the action to a particular die and then have it wait for the dice to be rolled. That sounds awkward at best, probably more hassle than using manual input.

No doubt, you would have to tell FG what you were rolling. I don't think there's any way around that. Then you need an extension that puts the dice output into a format FG can understand, which I guess is non-trivial as well.

This makes me sad. I would definitely love to see this implemented.

Thread Information