STAR TREK 2d20

Mac OS X Mojave Post-Security Update FGU Update Error (v 4.0.0)

I don't know if this is an actual error, as FGU starts up.

Following the Mac OS X (Mojave) update (a security + Safari update), I checked FGU for an update. There was one. It ran, but on the FG part of the update, it threw errors. I can't upload the entire log section (10K character limit). These are the key errors, I believe:

HandleFile: Unable to save file (FantasyGrounds.app/Contents/Resources/MainMenu.nib)
    e: SaveFile - System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path '/Applications/SmiteWorks/Fantasy Grounds/FantasyGrounds.app/Contents/Resources/ScreenSelector.nib' is denied.
    at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, System.IO.FileMode mode, System.IO.FileAccess access, System.IO.FileShare share, System.Int32 bufferSize, System.Boolean anonymous, System.IO.FileOptions options) [0x000e0] in <567df3e0919241ba98db88bec4c6696f>:0
    at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, System.IO.FileMode mode, System.IO.FileAccess access, System.IO.FileShare share, System.Int32 bufferSize) [0x00000] in <567df3e0919241ba98db88bec4c6696f>:0
    at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.FileStream..ctor(string,System.IO.FileMo de,System.IO.FileAccess,System.IO.FileShare,int)
    at System.IO.File.Create (System.String path, System.Int32 bufferSize) [0x00000] in <567df3e0919241ba98db88bec4c6696f>:0
    at System.IO.File.Create (System.String path) [0x00000] in <567df3e0919241ba98db88bec4c6696f>:0
    at FileManager.SaveStreamToFile (System.IO.Stream str, System.String sFile, Ionic.Zip.ZipFile zf, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] fileStreams, System.String sProduct) [0x00037] in <b8955991e4b346dab1c9d80d88c651ee>:0
    HandleFile: Unable to save file (FantasyGrounds.app/Contents/Resources/ScreenSelector.nib)
    e: SaveFile - System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path '/Applications/SmiteWorks/Fantasy Grounds/FantasyGrounds.app/Contents/Resources/KeyConfig.nib' is denied.
    at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, System.IO.FileMode mode, System.IO.FileAccess access, System.IO.FileShare share, System.Int32 bufferSize, System.Boolean anonymous, System.IO.FileOptions options) [0x000e0] in <567df3e0919241ba98db88bec4c6696f>:0
    at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, System.IO.FileMode mode, System.IO.FileAccess access, System.IO.FileShare share, System.Int32 bufferSize) [0x00000] in <567df3e0919241ba98db88bec4c6696f>:0
    at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.FileStream..ctor(string,System.IO.FileMo de,System.IO.FileAccess,System.IO.FileShare,int)
    at System.IO.File.Create (System.String path, System.Int32 bufferSize) [0x00000] in <567df3e0919241ba98db88bec4c6696f>:0
    at System.IO.File.Create (System.String path) [0x00000] in <567df3e0919241ba98db88bec4c6696f>:0
    at FileManager.SaveStreamToFile (System.IO.Stream str, System.String sFile, Ionic.Zip.ZipFile zf, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] fileStreams, System.String sProduct) [0x00037] in <b8955991e4b346dab1c9d80d88c651ee>:0
    HandleFile: Unable to save file (FantasyGrounds.app/Contents/Resources/KeyConfig.nib)

Everything else seemed to update okay, but the FG app itself still shows up as needing an update each time I check and fails each attempted update with the same errors.

Did the security update possibly undo some of your permissions?

I get the same thing on my work network, but then runs fine when I get it home.
    No signature needed, please leave parcel on the porch.

Thanks for reporting. I've added this information to FGU-808, since the errors look the same and are probably related.

Regards,
    JPG

Hey there!

So, I've been investigating this error and it's related to an update we made on Monday.
    We upgraded our Unity version and some build files were added, including ScreenSelector.nib

What seems to be happening here is that we don't have write permissions to the application folder, so the new file can't be added.

One step in the updater process is to modify the folder permissions so the application is executeable, but I believe I've got the wrong permissions in the code so it is execute only.

Would you (if you are comfortable with this) please try opening a terminal and executing the command below:

sudo chmod -R 777 "/Applications/SmiteWorks/Fantasy Grounds/FantasyGrounds.app/"

(if you are unfamiliar with the teminal, you will be prompted with a password at this point)

I believe this will allow you to update properly, and I am going to include it in the next updater build (especially if I receive report that this helps your issue)

Thanks!
    --Ryan-

I tried this, but it looks like the updater is over-writing the permissions.

e: SaveFile - System.Unauthorized AccessException: Access to the path '/Applications/SmiteWorks/Fantasy Grounds/FantasyGrounds.app/Content...

Before the update, everything at /Applications/SmiteWorks/Fantasy Grounds/FantasyGrounds.app/ and everthing inside that was 777 (rwxrwxrwx).

Afterwards, Content was 700 (drwx------)

Berk
    No signature needed, please leave parcel on the porch.

As suggested elsewhere, I did a delete and re-install. The update completed.

I'll be pushing out an update soon that should fix this issue for others as well.
    Appologies for the difficulty!

Thread Information