5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: Fgu ui

That’s great to hear. I will definitely give it a go. It was more about whether I should hold off buying content in Roll20. From what I’ve read there’s no release date for FGU but likely March?

Quote Originally Posted by Akril View Post
    That’s great to hear. I will definitely give it a go. It was more about whether I should hold off buying content in Roll20. From what I’ve read there’s no release date for FGU but likely March?
    I'm hoping earlier, but it could be March or so. I'd personally rather it be ready than too soon. We won't know until SW are ready to announce for sure. In the meantime, you could also get a subscription to FG Classic and give it a try. Most/all of what you learn while using it will apply to FGU, and any content you get will transfer over.

There is a learning curve with FG (as with any powerful program). I suggest checking out the FG College to get your feet wet and start figuring out if it's for you.

Blog Entries
    Now that is very impressive and far more what i was expecting. So is it just a skin thing?
    All the graphics part of the UI, button placement, images, resolutions, coloring, window styling etc is stuff that can be modified with an extension. The community has several resources for those that want to build such a theme, and their are dozens of themes already shared with the community for all sorts of different desires. Some people make themes for specific campaigns they are running, other because they want something different like that Starfinder theme.

Thank you for everyone’s prompt responses. I’m certainly not trying to do down a product that so many people love. I’m speaking purely from preference/ VP. The only reason I’m commenting is because I’m in a dilemma as to whether to go ahead and by additional content on Roll20 or hold off and trial FGU.

Thanks again.
    We try to keep a positive attitude around here and assume everyone has the best intentions.

Of course we here are going to think you should choose FG. May of the current FG folks used to be long time Roll20 subscribers, some (like myself) did in depth comparisons before choosing, but we are all here now so we think we made the right choice. But it does have to be right for you. Lots of us would be happy to share why we chose FG, but if you have specific questions, let us know.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by notrealdan View Post
    Personally, I would suggest trying FGU when it comes out. SW have a no-questions 30-day refund policy, so there's no risk except to your own free time.
    That’s good to hear. I’ll definitely do that. Thank you.

New to this as well (VTT that is), and recently played a one shot on Roll20 with a few friends. It was basically to get back in the feel of playing D&D again, after a 20+ yr absence, so I could get my own campaign going as a DM. As such I did some research to see what other systems were available, and came across FG and saw what their plans were for the Unity addition, so I passed this on to my group. After playing on Roll20 and then using the demo for FG it became clear this was the VTT for us. 2 days later the Ultimate version was gifted to me by one of the players and soon all of us had either the Standard or Ultimate lifetime editions. What really brought us in was just how slick this UI is and the control we have, and of course the whole Unity concept, and where FG is heading.
    We're an older group and we found this to be just what we needed. Of course it could be the big buttons us old folks can see easier that really cinched the deal...All of us are really looking forward to the release of FGU!

Quote Originally Posted by hlee7114 View Post
    New to this as well (VTT that is), and recently played a one shot on Roll20 with a few friends. It was basically to get back in the feel of playing D&D again, after a 20+ yr absence, so I could get my own campaign going as a DM. As such I did some research to see what other systems were available, and came across FG and saw what their plans were for the Unity addition, so I passed this on to my group. After playing on Roll20 and then using the demo for FG it became clear this was the VTT for us. 2 days later the Ultimate version was gifted to me by one of the players and soon all of us had either the Standard or Ultimate lifetime editions. What really brought us in was just how slick this UI is and the control we have, and of course the whole Unity concept, and where FG is heading.
    We're an older group and we found this to be just what we needed. Of course it could be the big buttons us old folks can see easier that really cinched the deal...All of us are really looking forward to the release of FGU!
    Welcome hlee7114! I also played on Roll20 for a bit, but for me, as a DM, I found the web browser interface to be slow and unresponsive. On top of that, when I saw how much cheaper official content is on FG and the way the automation works... I was sold!

There are as many different pros/cons lists between different VTT as there are people. Those of us who chose FG are always willing to share our thoughts!

The UI looked very clunky and dated (c.1993)..
    Hi and welcome!

I think for many of us the clunky and dated nature of the UI hit exactly the right nostalgia notes. But yeah, there are plenty of user-made extensions that allow for a completely different experience, the Starfinder one being a good example, so don't let the default look and feel turn you away. One you get past the initial learning curve, you'll find FG is a fantastic application!

I also fond the UI of FG very outdated and it hurts me a lot. I mean, probably the UI is the worst thing on FG in my opinion. This and how old is the conection.

I would love to be able to hide/show the right side ui so i have more space for maps and notes.
    But everything else is by far superior to what i've know on Roll20. Specially now with the FGU.
    I'm in beta and i'm loving the speed on wich the developers takes action, solves main issues, etc.

Let us remember they are few, but they are excelent and passionate about their jobs. And i feel they love their fans.
    So in time i learned not to be so harsh on them (specially when i found out they are so few). Just take your time, and your expectations will be met.

Also. Where can i find those "skins" that change UI?

Quote Originally Posted by Henrique Oliveira Machado View Post
    I also fond the UI of FG very outdated and it hurts me a lot. I mean, probably the UI is the worst thing on FG in my opinion. This and how old is the conection.

I would love to be able to hide/show the right side ui so i have more space for maps and notes.
    But everything else is by far superior to what i've know on Roll20. Specially now with the FGU.
    I'm in beta and i'm loving the speed on wich the developers takes action, solves main issues, etc.

Let us remember they are few, but they are excelent and passionate about their jobs. And i feel they love their fans.
    So in time i learned not to be so harsh on them (specially when i found out they are so few). Just take your time, and your expectations will be met.

Also. Where can i find those "skins" that change UI?
    Search for "Theme" in the forums and you will find some. Some change more than others. If none meet your needs, it's always possible to customize them yourself (that's what I did when I made the "Simple Dark" theme), and I'm no pro.

I am hopeful that Unity will allow for more elaborate themes, and more drastic changes to the UI for those of us who would like to see options for "modern" UI extensions.

Thread Information