Starfinder Playlist

Please explain Mac FGU permissions request

I was really excited to try out the Mac beta of FGU, but immediately after installation (on Catalina) got this dialog that seems suspicious:

Screen Shot 2019-12-07 at 8.23.47 PM.png

Can you please explain why the FGU Updater wants or needs this permission?

Hi mpirnat,

I googled the message and this is now a common security prompt for Catalina users. The best plain english example I could find for this new security permission came from Nvidia. They explain that this message is caused when you are running macOS 10.15 Catalina. "The Input Monitoring permission is used only for unaccelerated mouse input and low latency keyboard access while the GeForce NOW Streamer is the active application. While GeForce NOW Streamer is in the background or while it is not running, your keyboard and mouse inputs are not read or captured." Here is a link to the article. So there is not really anything to be concerned about. The developers for FG will most likely say "he Input Monitoring permission is used only for unaccelerated mouse input and low latency keyboard access while the FG is the active application. While FG is in the background or while it is not running, your keyboard and mouse inputs are not read or captured."
    FGU Ultimate License
    FG Discord - Lord_Ulric
    Time Zone: US Eastern (GMT -5)
    Playing -
    Starfinder, D&D, Savage Worlds, Call of Cthulhu, Hero System aka Champions, Traveller, and more!
    My Forge Creations

Blog Entries
    I have asked Ryan to look into this to see if it was just a default setting and if it is really required or not when he was building the installer.

If I don't grant this permission, which I don't expect to be needed, will it result in me having other errors like this:

Screen Shot 2019-12-08 at 10.07.16 AM.png

I have checked and as best I can tell, I have entered my correct license key and the kick starter page says it is correctly registered as well.

FWIW, I denied that access on both of my Macs and FGU runs fine. I've not seen the login error in your screenshot.
    Flyteach

I've also filed this as FGU-801 for tracking purposes, and added to the Known Items list for Mac. We'll see what Ryan finds this week.

Regards,
    JPG

To the best of my searching, this seems to be a Unity issue that has been resolved in later Unity versions.
    The likely solution here is to look at upgrading the Unity version we used to build the updater.
    We're not doing anything fishy, so keep an eye out for an update that should hopefully fix this.

Can someone who had this issue please download the latest installer and see if you see the same issue?

We were unable to reproduce internally; but from our research, it looks like it was a possible issue when building apps in Unity for Mac with older versions of Unity. Since we updated the tools to the latest version earlier this week, we want to see if this is still an issue.

Thanks,
    JPG

Thread Information