STAR TREK 2d20

LFP, Need 2-3, Weeknight Game THU EST, Pathfinder2 Campaign, Harn Setting

FG License: Ultimate
    Time Zone: EST
    Day(s) of week, frequency, and time: THU, weekly, 730-1130pm EST

Us: We are a small, mature, middle aged group looking to add 2-3 players interested in playing some Pathfinder 2E set in the Harn medieval setting (with some homebrew restrictions, see below). We prefer story based campaigns, heavily laden with combats that move the plot forward. I have GM'd DnD 2E&5E, Harnmaster, Mythras and Twilight2000. New to Pathfinder 2E, though we have a few seasoned PF1 players in the group.

Campaign: Long Term campaign with plans for numerous genres (dungeon delve, mystery, political intrigue, strongholds, mass combat, epic villains, etc). Setting will be Harn, a large, fairly low fantasy setting published by Columbia Games. Theme and tone will be fairly dark and gritty (think Game of Thrones, but with most of the PF2 Bestiary in play). Overall will probably be a sandbox with a mix of adventures from different sources. Party will start at 5th level. Prefer story over dungeon grinds, so if you start off every session asking "When do we kill stuff?", this campaign probably isn't for you. The overall game mechanics will fall in the Pathfinder ruleset, but with a few nudges toward gritty realism. Expect more of a Tolkein/GRR Martin type setting than Alice in Wonderland. Though there will be plenty of combat, that is not the real focus of the campaign. Much more interested in telling an intriguing and complex story, with input from all players woven together by the GM. Prefer mature players with life experience, who want a challenge from their game play, as opposed to a fanciful escape from their daily reality. Nothing wrong with playing that way, we have all done it, just want to be clear about the game we are trying to build. Challenging and rewarding, but more from an intellectual standpoint, than a beer and pretzel aspect. As players progress, CR will relate to the complexity of the problem set, rather than monster hit dice.

Ruleset Restrictions: Most people look at "homebrewing" as adding to the ruleset, but I am not a huge fan of "High Fantasy" and feel the 5E and PF rulesets, as written, give the players way too many easy buttons. So my restrictions (subtracting from the ruleset), while not taking away from balance, are designed to make things a little more challenging for the players and remove some of the spells (about 20%) that are really there more for convenience than essential to gameplay. All of this is based on how magic works in the campaign setting and I will be happy to share that narrative and the modified spell list with anyone who asks.
    The List (keep in mind these restrictions apply to the entire setting and monsters/villains as well, so, for example, you wouldn't face monsters with psionic abilities):
    1. Core races only.
    2. Core classes only.
    3. No psionics
    4. Spell restrictions. Magic in the setting is an element, like fire or water, (though intangible) that can be manipulated by those with the ability to do so and that fuels most spells.
    What's allowed:
    a. Spells that are illusion based, tricks of the mind, mental deception, coercion, etc.
    b. Spells that manipulate already existing natural elements/materials in a small amount. For example, erasing the letters on a document is possible, creating an entirely new being (elemental, for example) is not.
    c. Spells that effect one's mental state, perceptions, ideas, thoughts, etc. with the exception of "reading" other's minds or similar feats.
    d. Creation/manipulation of the four natural elements (Water, Air, Fire, Earth). For example, most spells utilizing levitation or force can be construed as manipulating Air and are allowed.
    e. Minor manipulation of the flesh, ie Cure Light/Moderate wounds (minor cuts, gashes, burns, etc) vs Cure Serious/Critical Wounds (major trauma to the body, loss of a limb, damaged organs, etc). Wounds can be sealed, bleeding stopped, etc, but flesh and bone cannot be "created" on the spot.
    What's not allowed:
    a. No raise dead, resurrection, revivify, etc. Dead stays dead. Hit Points, healing and death are handled as per the rules, but no magic is capable of healing above the "moderate" level. So for severely wounded characters, some down time for recovery would be required. The flow of the campaign and the setting in general would take this into account.
    b. No teleportation.
    c. No extraplanar travel, items, anything really.
    d. Anything that creates something from nothing is not allowed. Manipulating elements that exist is ok, creating something out of nothing is not. This includes all types of Summoning, except perhaps natural beasts that exist in the area you are in, for example, a pack of wolves in a forest or a bear in the mountains. They could be "summoned" to your location to fight for you.
    e. Having a conversation with something that lacks mental awareness/understanding and/or ability to speak (plants, animals, etc.)

Voice: We play on Discord with Syrenscape background sound effects.

Game System Preferred: Pathfinder E2.

Fantasy Grounds Experience: Two years running games on FG.

About me: Career Army officer, recently retired with 25 years of service. Always been a closet geek, but finally found the door to the closet. Don't have any prejudices against play style, except those that waste everyone's time. Not a voice actor or thespian, nor do I expect anyone in the group to be. Its first and foremost about having a good time and supporting the group dynamic. No hard rules, everything is negotiable, provided you are comfortable with what was laid out about the campaign above.

If interested send me a PM with any questions.

We have two potential players. However, if this kinda game interests you, drop me a PM. I'm sure at some point I will have an opening again.

I'm curious, how does a Wild Druid fit into the rules restrictions?

Thanks for the interest and the question.

Short answer is they dont. The focus of the setting is medieval, more on the historical side than the fantasy. We are using Harn, which is a great low fantasy, historical setting you should check out if it rouses your curiosity.

But in my campaign magic is treated with suspicion by the common people and tightly controlled by the powerful. There are numerous "barbarian" fringe tribes and cultures who would welcome a Druid (ie Shaman), but a druid shapeshifter would be too far in the "dark" to be readily acceptable. For such a person to show themselves in "civilized" society and use their ability openly would almost certainly result in death, probably a very unseemly one.

So while most druid templates would work (though limited since I dont allow communication with plants or animals) the wild druid would not.

Interesting, thanks for the explanation!

Campaign start was put on hold for the holidays, but we are ready to get started. Unfortunately, I lost a couple players over the last few weeks due to life events/changes. So we are looking for a couple new players to join. Send me a PM if interested. Thanks.

im a DM for a PF2e game, would love to play with in your world, iv been playing since the med 80's (dam just gave my age away)lol. anyhow i see you have 2 players, so if 1 falls through let me know here, thanks..Joel K

Sure would love to have you, I have room.
    Last edited by greybeardgunner70; January 7th, 2020 at 21:00.

Thread Information