5E Character Create Playlist

Just a simple idea about how to handle LOS distances.

I've followed the conversation on LOS and the complications of various LOS distances, depending on the system, situations, darkvision in 5E vs regular vision. The list goes on.

So I had a thought, that at least to start with, instead of worrying to much about automation or difference between the various rulesets.
    Why not use a similar approach as roll20 does. Simply set up a way for the DM/GM to define the view range manually for the actors in the CT and/or only for the tokens on the map, instead.

Adding a new icon to reveal the view distances in the CT, much like the current, size, reach, effects etc.
    This would work great as it's mainly important for the PCs, and they tend to stay on the CT after they've been added.

Could be as simple as a new entry box or two in the CT, or some sort of menu interface when right-clicking the tokens on the map, or even an effect (though that might be the least ideal way as every actor would then constantly need a vision effect in the CT on them).

That way you don't have to worry about all the possible situations that might modify view ranges to have to be automated. That could be something to consider at a later stage if you wanted to.

Would be nice to have one field for maximum view range and one for when vision becomes "dim".
    So for example: Total/max vision: 40 Dim start: 20.

Just throwing it out there into the internal discussion, take it or leave it as you wish. In either case I know it's something that would only come after official release.
    Last edited by StoryWeaver; December 5th, 2019 at 06:00.
    Extension writer, FGU Backer, Ultimate License holder.

5E Enhancer (development and support on hold for now)

Combat Enhancer 5E Classic (no longer officially supported, community support only)

ps. Do not send PM's for support for the extensions I write, I will not not be able to respond there. Use the relevant forum threads instead so the community can benefit from the replies, thank you.

Thread Information